Grilling live dungeness crab?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kent, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Have any of you on the West Coast Dungeness Crab territory ever tried
    grilling live crab??
    Now and then one hears about this. I was recently reading the California
    Seafood Cookbook which details the following. You freeze the crab enough to
    kill it, or at least anesthetize it. Then you take off the thick outer
    shell, and clean the inside,
    just as you do a steamed crab. Cut the remaining body and claw into
    "drumstick like pieces" and cook these on a grill.
    Has anyone tried this or any other technique? I have heard about cooking
    live crab in a wok. I know this is tough to address, butchering a live fish,
    or anything live. I have a enough stress steaming a live crab.
    Thanks for any thoughts and/or advice.
    Kent

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Have any of you on the West Coast Dungeness Crab territory ever tried
    > grilling live crab??

    That would be horribly cruel...

    I might do fresh frozen but NEVER LIVE!!!

    I'd freeze it solid first.

    --
    Om.

  3. res0f8mp

    res0f8mp Guest

    id say, "let er rip" sounds good to me.
    toss it on the grill and shut the lid. & go get some butter melted.

    joe

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Have any of you on the West Coast Dungeness Crab territory ever tried
    > grilling live crab??
    > Now and then one hears about this. I was recently reading the California
    > Seafood Cookbook which details the following. You freeze the crab enough
    > to kill it, or at least anesthetize it. Then you take off the thick
    > outer shell, and clean the inside,
    > just as you do a steamed crab. Cut the remaining body and claw into
    > "drumstick like pieces" and cook these on a grill.
    > Has anyone tried this or any other technique? I have heard about cooking
    > live crab in a wok. I know this is tough to address, butchering a live
    > fish, or anything live. I have a enough stress steaming a live crab.
    > Thanks for any thoughts and/or advice.
    > Kent

  4. aem

    aem Guest

    Kent wrote:
    > Have any of you on the West Coast Dungeness Crab territory ever tried
    > grilling live crab??
    > Now and then one hears about this. I was recently reading the California
    > Seafood Cookbook which details the following. You freeze the crab enough to
    > kill it, or at least anesthetize it. Then you take off the thick outer
    > shell, and clean the inside,
    > just as you do a steamed crab. Cut the remaining body and claw into
    > "drumstick like pieces" and cook these on a grill.
    > Has anyone tried this or any other technique? I have heard about cooking
    > live crab in a wok. I know this is tough to address, butchering a live fish,
    > or anything live. I have a enough stress steaming a live crab.
    > Thanks for any thoughts and/or advice.
    > Kent

    It won't be alive by the time you put it on the grill. Nor do you need
    to freeze it. Here's what you do: hold the claws of one side in your
    left hand and pull off the top shell; grasp the other half of the crab
    with your right hand and break the crab in half. It's now dead. Rinse
    and pull out the gills and guts. It's now ready to cook, whether that
    means plunging into your already boiling tub of salted water (11
    minutes) or steaming or grilling. I find boiling easier than steaming,
    and though I like many things grilled I wouldn't be inclined to grill
    Dungies. What I'm after is that sweet, fresh crab taste, and I don't
    want even a nice grill smoke to interfere with it. But I see no reason
    why you couldn't put the crab halves right on the grill. They're large
    enough not to fall through, whereas if you cut them into smaller pieces
    that might be a problem. -aem

  5. aem

    aem Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Have any of you on the West Coast Dungeness Crab territory ever tried
    > > grilling live crab??

    > That would be horribly cruel...
    >
    > I might do fresh frozen but NEVER LIVE!!!
    >
    > I'd freeze it solid first.

    Thereby spoiling the fresh texture and adding greatly to the cooking
    time, both of which would be cruel to your diners. I'd much rather be
    cruel to the crab. -aem

  6. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-12-19, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I might do fresh frozen but NEVER LIVE!!!
    >
    > I'd freeze it solid first.

    I doubt the crab would be "live" after being broken up into parts. If
    you are squeamish about breaking a live crab up into parts, a .44
    magnum to the brainpan should remedy that dilemma.

    nb

  7. Jani

    Jani Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > It won't be alive by the time you put it on the grill. Nor do you need
    > to freeze it. Here's what you do: hold the claws of one side in your
    > left hand and pull off the top shell; grasp the other half of the crab
    > with your right hand and break the crab in half. It's now dead.

    I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid, but what do you pull the
    shell off *with*? I've never cooked crab from fresh, but I've seen plenty of
    them squirming around at the fishmarket in Cardiff, and the top shell seems
    pretty firmly attached to the bottom shell. There doesn't seem to be a gap
    where I could insert the fingernails, and pull ...?

    Jani
    (who is not squeamish about killing, but dislikes unnecessary pain in the
    process)

  8. aem

    aem Guest

    Jani wrote:

    > I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid, but what do you pull the
    > shell off *with*? I've never cooked crab from fresh, but I've seen plenty of
    > them squirming around at the fishmarket in Cardiff, and the top shell seems
    > pretty firmly attached to the bottom shell. There doesn't seem to be a gap
    > where I could insert the fingernails, and pull ...?

    It's not stupid to be inexperienced. There is a gap between the top
    shell and the rest of the beast. You just find a place to hook your
    fingers, usually right near the top/front of the crab, and pull
    backwards. It's much easier to demonstrate than to describe. Once
    you've done it two or three times it's easy. The tricky part is to get
    a good firm hold of all the claws on the left side so they can't pinch
    you. I doubt that crabs feel the pain in anything akin to the way we
    might but of course I can't prove that. I do know that they don't
    scream the way broccoli does. -aem

  9. Paul M. Cook

    Paul M. Cook Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Have any of you on the West Coast Dungeness Crab territory ever tried
    > > grilling live crab??

    > That would be horribly cruel...
    >
    > I might do fresh frozen but NEVER LIVE!!!
    >
    > I'd freeze it solid first.

    They'd not get any better treatment from an octopus that rips their shell
    off to eat them. Sea otters eat crabs one leg at a time.

    Paul

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2005-12-19, OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I might do fresh frozen but NEVER LIVE!!!
    > >
    > > I'd freeze it solid first.

    > I doubt the crab would be "live" after being broken up into parts. If
    > you are squeamish about breaking a live crab up into parts, a .44
    > magnum to the brainpan should remedy that dilemma.
    >
    > nb

    Where is the brain pan? ;-)
    I've never shot a crab...

    Will a 9mm do? <G>
    --
    Om.

  11. S'mee

    S'mee Guest

    One time on Usenet, "Kent" <[email protected]> said:

    > Have any of you on the West Coast Dungeness Crab territory ever tried
    > grilling live crab??

    Ye gads, no! I'd be too worried that I'd ruin the crab.

    > Now and then one hears about this. I was recently reading the California
    > Seafood Cookbook which details the following. You freeze the crab enough to
    > kill it, or at least anesthetize it. Then you take off the thick outer
    > shell, and clean the inside,
    > just as you do a steamed crab. Cut the remaining body and claw into
    > "drumstick like pieces" and cook these on a grill.
    > Has anyone tried this or any other technique? I have heard about cooking
    > live crab in a wok. I know this is tough to address, butchering a live fish,
    > or anything live. I have a enough stress steaming a live crab.
    > Thanks for any thoughts and/or advice.

    Sorry Kent, my advice it so just throw them live into a big pot of
    boiling water. That's how I used to cook them as a young 'un, after
    spending the day on the beach. Of course, I was much more heartless
    at that age. Now I'm soft and lazy, and get them at the seafood market
    already cooked...

    --
    Jani in WA (S'mee)
    ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

  12. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:25:35 -0800, "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Have any of you on the West Coast Dungeness Crab territory ever tried
    >grilling live crab??
    >Now and then one hears about this. I was recently reading the California
    >Seafood Cookbook which details the following. You freeze the crab enough to
    >kill it, or at least anesthetize it. Then you take off the thick outer
    >shell, and clean the inside,
    >just as you do a steamed crab. Cut the remaining body and claw into
    >"drumstick like pieces" and cook these on a grill.
    >Has anyone tried this or any other technique? I have heard about cooking
    >live crab in a wok. I know this is tough to address, butchering a live fish,
    >or anything live. I have a enough stress steaming a live crab.
    >Thanks for any thoughts and/or advice.
    >Kent

    Your musings aren't very logical. We clean our crabs AFTER they are
    cooked, not before and if you think you've been stressed by
    steaming/boiling live crab... just wait until you try to throw a live
    on on a hot grill. It won't be very happy and neither will you.

  13. Jani

    Jani Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Jani wrote:
    >>
    >> I know this is going to sound incredibly stupid, but what do you pull the
    >> shell off *with*? I've never cooked crab from fresh, but I've seen plenty
    >> of
    >> them squirming around at the fishmarket in Cardiff, and the top shell
    >> seems
    >> pretty firmly attached to the bottom shell. There doesn't seem to be a
    >> gap
    >> where I could insert the fingernails, and pull ...?

    > It's not stupid to be inexperienced. There is a gap between the top
    > shell and the rest of the beast. You just find a place to hook your
    > fingers, usually right near the top/front of the crab, and pull
    > backwards. It's much easier to demonstrate than to describe. Once
    > you've done it two or three times it's easy. The tricky part is to get
    > a good firm hold of all the claws on the left side so they can't pinch
    > you. I doubt that crabs feel the pain in anything akin to the way we
    > might but of course I can't prove that. I do know that they don't
    > scream the way broccoli does.

    Ah, right, thank you. Obviously I didn't look closely enough at the
    construction of the creatures :) I've always been a bit befuddled when faced
    with crustaceans, live or otherwise.

    Jani

  14. aem

    aem Guest

    sf wrote:

    > Your musings aren't very logical. We clean our crabs AFTER they are
    > cooked, not before and if you think you've been stressed by
    > steaming/boiling live crab... just wait until you try to throw a live
    > on on a hot grill. It won't be very happy and neither will you.

    Many lovers of Dungeness crab, especially those who catch them or buy
    them live in the Pacific Northwest, clean them BEFORE cooking them, as
    I described above. Not only is it very easy and fast but we believe it
    makes the crab more delicious. Most of us clean fish and chicken
    before cooking them, too. :)) -aem

  15. AL

    AL Guest

    Ok, you guys have peaked my interest. I'm going to chill a live dungeness
    crab in the freezer, then dismember it while it is still alive. But first I
    have to find a thick long pair of rubber gloves.

  16. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:49:56 -0600, "AL" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ok, you guys have peaked my interest. I'm going to chill a live dungeness
    >crab in the freezer, then dismember it while it is still alive. But first I
    >have to find a thick long pair of rubber gloves.

    If you're slow enough that a dungie can get a grip on you, then
    rubber gloves won't help much.

    -sw

  17. sf

    sf Guest

    On 20 Dec 2005 11:00:32 -0800, aem wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    > >
    > > Your musings aren't very logical. We clean our crabs AFTER they are
    > > cooked, not before and if you think you've been stressed by
    > > steaming/boiling live crab... just wait until you try to throw a live
    > > on on a hot grill. It won't be very happy and neither will you.

    > Many lovers of Dungeness crab, especially those who catch them or buy
    > them live in the Pacific Northwest, clean them BEFORE cooking them, as
    > I described above.

    Trust me. After you've done it... those crabs are good and DEAD.
    Either you're cooking them live or dead - can't have it both ways the
    way Kent was musing.

    ;)
    I will continue to take my longest tongs and plunge them into water
    because I'm not having anything to do with those claws. You can
    continue ripping the shells off live crabs, but I value my skin too
    much. LOL