Grind...

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Darchibald, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Darchibald

    Darchibald Guest

    Is a grind much harder then just a rolling hop into a
    pedal/crank grab?

    David

    --
    darchibald - Unofficial level 3.8

    "Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
    suicide mount.
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  2. Evilewan

    Evilewan Guest

  3. Darchibald

    Darchibald Guest

  4. Commandoh

    Commandoh Guest

  5. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

    You slide with the motion you get from a rolling hop, it's
    best to do it down rails because they're sloped and metal.
    Metal coping on downward sloping walls are good too, maybe
    even better.

    And yes I would imagine it's alot harder than just a rolling
    hop and a crank grab, you need alot of balance to do them,
    and a lot of confidence.

    --
    Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

    Jacinto is the king.
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302

  6. Thebadger587

    Thebadger587 Guest

    do you slide on the crank, or the pedal?

    --
    TheBadger587 - Level 4

    Well i Guess not the retarded ones... but how could you even say
    something like that? jeez cleveland, there's edgy and then theres
    offensive. Good day sir!
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

  7. Uniextreme

    Uniextreme Guest

    TheBadger587 wrote:
    > *do you slide on the crank, or the pedal? *

    I think thats personal preference. On coping i slide both
    because both will fit but on a rail i slide crank.

    --
    uniextreme - Funkadelic Unicyclist

    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuw09 New stuff recently added

    Scars are tatoos with better stories
    uniextreme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4708

  8. Uni412

    Uni412 Guest

    I have never done a rail but grinding the side of a ledge
    not not require much balance at all. Just do a fowards
    rolling hop into a crank grab, leaning slightly back.

    --
    uni412 - unicycle fanatic
    uni412's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4707

  9. Thin_air

    Thin_air Guest

    If you want to slide effortlesly go for plastic pedals
    they slide incredibly smooth. My other tip is to learn
    at a skatepark because those have the best possible
    learning rails

    --
    thin_air - ride the wheel

    If you come to a fork in the road...
    take it
    thin_air's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4504

  10. Joe

    Joe Guest

  11. North

    North Guest

    ledges and wide stuff you can grind on the crank and pedal,
    but for thin rails you lift your chocolate foot pedal up and
    slide on the bearing housing, well i do anyway, this way you
    can apply pressure with the tyre to slow you down if you
    need to, plus its easier to balance. getting the height is
    the hardest part of a rail grind.

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/buc11/BUC11_00-
    69.sized.jpg]

    and pulling out in time too, if the rail is low like this...

    --
    north - The seth enslow of unicycling

    North

    until it ends...

    north's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3476

  12. Darchibald

    Darchibald Guest

    I don't get it Joe, what am I watching in that space. Also
    would it make sense to do a ledge then rail? Cuz my
    skatepark is a three set up on to a ramp. It sucks. I'm
    thinking of trying to make one but I just need the proper
    bar/rail/pole.

    David

    --
    darchibald - Unofficial level 3.8

    "Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
    suicide mount.
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  13. North

    North Guest

    i think joe is later going to post a big pick of him
    grinding. rails are easier cos they slope down and ledges
    are often made of stone, which needs waxing... i suggest you
    get some 2" box section steel for your rail.

    --
    north - The seth enslow of unicycling

    North

    until it ends...

    north's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3476

  14. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Yeah, there is going to be a huge pic, maybe even video of me grinding
    one of these days! :p

    Thanks North, I'm going to hunt down some rail... All of the
    rails on stiars next to me suck. They are either way too
    steep, or have spikes sticking out of them! :mad:

    Joe,

    --
    joe - Who needs cranks anyways?

    :cool: *www.cool.unicyclist.com* :cool:

    'I like to show off in front of people not to show them what I can do,
    but to show them what can be done on a unicycle' - Sofa

    'SIXSIXONE' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
    joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

  15. Darchibald

    Darchibald Guest

    Joe, Just a suggestion from one beginning grinder, to
    another, I think it might be best not to learn on stairs.
    You may be different but I'm definitely not trying stairs
    till I know I can do it.

    Yesterday I set up a small rail (bout 3') in my backyard. It
    was round and slanted so I didn't have to roll-hop into it.
    I almost had it after about 20 minutes, but my pedal broke
    (it was close to it anyway) so i had to quit. One thing I
    earned is to keep the wheel angled outward because it gives
    you more of a grinding space. Somebody may have already said
    that, i can't remember, but I just realised it for myself.

    David

    --
    darchibald - Unofficial level 3.9

    "Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
    suicide mount.
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  16. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Hey,

    Thanks for that David. No, I wouldnt learn on a set of
    stairs! I cant even get my mind round it, never mind learn
    that way! :p

    I should be able to find some rail in a few weeks. I sart
    study leave soon, so I will find some then. :)

    Joe,

    --
    joe - Who needs cranks anyways?

    :cool: *www.cool.unicyclist.com* :cool:

    'I like to show off in front of people not to show them what I can do,
    but to show them what can be done on a unicycle' - Sofa

    'SIXSIXONE' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
    joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

  17. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:47:07 -0500, "darchibald" wrote:

    >Yesterday I set up a small rail (bout 3') in my
    >backyard. It was round and slanted so I didn't have to
    >roll-hop into it.

    David could you post a picture (or else elaborate)? I don't
    quite understand how you don't have to hop on it.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

  18. Scooter

    Scooter Guest

    i just did a nice 2 ft high hand rail at the skeatepark
    after only about a month of trying to grind. it was awsome!

    --
    scooter - i live on the edge...of town

    *SCOOT*

    time flies like the wind,