Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Grinding with cantilever brakes

Started by Deep Floyd Mars · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,030 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 July 2003
Last activity
17 July 2003
Original author
Deep Floyd Mars
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,030
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a Shogun with alloy rims that I have salvaged from severe neglect. I managed to get rid of
    the squealing from the brakes by shoeing in (using a piece of cardboard to make a gap), but now the
    things make a horrible grinding noise.

    I tried scrubbing the rims and putting new pads on, but that has not helped at all. I have noticed
    that the rim surface is somewhat scratched. I assume this is the cause (only thing I have not
    changed), so is there a simply technique for smoothing them that works?

    Thanks!
    ---
    DFM

  2. "Deep Floyd Mars" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a Shogun with alloy rims that I have salvaged from severe neglect.


    I

    Quoted message said:

    managed to get rid of the squealing from the brakes by shoeing in (using a piece of cardboard to
    make a gap), but now the things make a horrible grinding noise.

    I tried scrubbing the rims and putting new pads on, but that has not


    helped

    Quoted message said:

    at all. I have noticed that the rim surface is somewhat scratched. I


    assume

    Quoted message said:

    this is the cause (only thing I have not changed), so is there a simply technique for smoothing
    them that works?

    Thanks!
    ---
    DFM


    There any rocks or little pieces of AL in the brake pads? That's what usually makes that nasty
    grinding noise on my bikes.

    Mike

  3. Mike S. <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:sE5Ra.7930$Bp2.2333@fed1read07...

    Quoted message said:


    "Deep Floyd Mars" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a Shogun with alloy rims that I have salvaged from severe


    neglect.

    Quoted message said:

    I

    Quoted message said:

    managed to get rid of the squealing from the brakes by shoeing in (using


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    piece of cardboard to make a gap), but now the things make a horrible grinding noise.

    I tried scrubbing the rims and putting new pads on, but that has not


    helped

    Quoted message said:

    at all. I have noticed that the rim surface is somewhat scratched. I


    assume

    Quoted message said:

    this is the cause (only thing I have not changed), so is there a simply technique for smoothing
    them that works?

    Thanks!
    ---
    DFM


    There any rocks or little pieces of AL in the brake pads? That's what usually makes that nasty
    grinding noise on my bikes.

    I pulled it all apart today, and there were metal filings stuck in the new brake pad. The rim was a
    complete right off. Weather seems to kill everything over time...

    Replaced it with a good rim, and it's doing just fine.

    Cheers!
    ---
    DFM

  4. Paul Southworth <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Deep Floyd Mars

    Quoted message said:

    I have a Shogun with alloy rims that I have salvaged from severe neglect.


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    managed to get rid of the squealing from the brakes by shoeing in (using


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    piece of cardboard to make a gap), but now the things make a horrible grinding noise.

    I tried scrubbing the rims and putting new pads on, but that has not


    helped

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    at all. I have noticed that the rim surface is somewhat scratched. I


    assume

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    this is the cause (only thing I have not changed), so is there a simply technique for smoothing
    them that works?

    Sand them.

    I did that using 600 wet and dry. It did smooth them a little, but the same thing happened upon
    braking a few times. I think the rims were just cheap [censored] in badly weathered condition.

    I replaced the front rim with a comparable one, and the difference is huge. Need to do that for the
    back wheel today.
    ---
    DFM

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.