Grinding with cantilever brakes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Deep Floyd Mars, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. I have a Shogun with alloy rims that I have salvaged from severe neglect. I managed to get rid of
    the squealing from the brakes by shoeing in (using a piece of cardboard to make a gap), but now the
    things make a horrible grinding noise.

    I tried scrubbing the rims and putting new pads on, but that has not helped at all. I have noticed
    that the rim surface is somewhat scratched. I assume this is the cause (only thing I have not
    changed), so is there a simply technique for smoothing them that works?

    Thanks!
    ---
    DFM

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Deep Floyd Mars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Shogun with alloy rims that I have salvaged from severe neglect.
    > managed to get rid of the squealing from the brakes by shoeing in (using a piece of cardboard to
    > make a gap), but now the things make a horrible grinding noise.
    >
    > I tried scrubbing the rims and putting new pads on, but that has not
    helped
    > at all. I have noticed that the rim surface is somewhat scratched. I
    assume
    > this is the cause (only thing I have not changed), so is there a simply technique for smoothing
    > them that works?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > ---
    > DFM

    There any rocks or little pieces of AL in the brake pads? That's what usually makes that nasty
    grinding noise on my bikes.

    Mike

  3. Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Deep Floyd Mars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a Shogun with alloy rims that I have salvaged from severe
    neglect.
    > > managed to get rid of the squealing from the brakes by shoeing in (using
    > > piece of cardboard to make a gap), but now the things make a horrible grinding noise.
    > >
    > > I tried scrubbing the rims and putting new pads on, but that has not
    > helped
    > > at all. I have noticed that the rim surface is somewhat scratched. I
    > assume
    > > this is the cause (only thing I have not changed), so is there a simply technique for smoothing
    > > them that works?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > ---
    > > DFM
    > >
    > There any rocks or little pieces of AL in the brake pads? That's what usually makes that nasty
    > grinding noise on my bikes.

    I pulled it all apart today, and there were metal filings stuck in the new brake pad. The rim was a
    complete right off. Weather seems to kill everything over time...

    Replaced it with a good rim, and it's doing just fine.

    Cheers!
    ---
    DFM

  4. Paul Southworth <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:bxfRa.36777$A%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Deep Floyd Mars
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I have a Shogun with alloy rims that I have salvaged from severe neglect.
    > >managed to get rid of the squealing from the brakes by shoeing in (using
    > >piece of cardboard to make a gap), but now the things make a horrible grinding noise.
    > >
    > >I tried scrubbing the rims and putting new pads on, but that has not
    helped
    > >at all. I have noticed that the rim surface is somewhat scratched. I
    assume
    > >this is the cause (only thing I have not changed), so is there a simply technique for smoothing
    > >them that works?
    >
    > Sand them.

    I did that using 600 wet and dry. It did smooth them a little, but the same thing happened upon
    braking a few times. I think the rims were just cheap crap in badly weathered condition.

    I replaced the front rim with a comparable one, and the difference is huge. Need to do that for the
    back wheel today.
    ---
    DFM