Grip shift vs rapid fire

grip shift or rapid fire

• rapid fire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • grip shift

Votes: 234 100.0%

• Total voters
With Rapid File you can shift while braking which I consider a big advantage.

Originally posted by jggraham
My grip shift has fallen apart off my iron horse g-out. Sholud i replace it with new gripshift or rapid fire?

I have tried my friends rapid fire and it felt a lot better than gripshift and my gripshift used to change gears sometimes, are all grip shift like that or did i get a **** one?

Grip shifters are almost entirely plastic. When they go, the go, plus, on most models it is impossible to change just the cable. But, then, the only cost about $15 apiece and they are very easy to install.

Can you just substitute rapid fires for grip shifters or is something else required?

Rapidfire.

I like the new XTR, too. I've really gotten accustomed to the shifting and ability to shift and brake simultaneaously.

Originally posted by Bob s.
I have the earlier versions of shimano decore XT rapid fire, and it kills my thumb when shifting a lot. My thumb gets so painful that I reach over and shift with my left hand frequently. I haven't heard of others with this problem though, so it might just be me.
--Bob

Try replacing your cables and housing. It will cost < 20 bux, and make a world of difference. I have a pair of XT shifters that are >5 years old, and they still work great.

-percious

Rapidfire. After using RF for a while, gripshift seems painful and pointless. Guess its a matter of preference, but I seriously don't see many advantages in using gripshift.

I've got friends on gripshift, and its a horrible feeling after using rapidfire.

on a hairy road, you may shift inadvertantly w/ grip****s. rapid fire is a lot more secure. I've tried and crashed both. Rapid fires hold their true (and shape) better. I have cracked pieces of grip****s around if you want it...

i've never had inadvertant shifts w/ grip-shifters. the last rapid-fire i've used was over 7 years ago so can't say vs. the current stuff. SRAM has new trigger shifters that have gotten good reviews so you might want to take a look at those too.

This is one of those arguments that has no way to win. It is just too much of a personal preference thing. The new gripshift stuf like SRAM's 9.0 and X.0 shifters shift very nicely. Depending on what you have currently you might need a new derrailleur though because SRAM uses a different pull ratio than shimano. Rapidfire obviously shifts extremely well too. SRAMS new rapidfire shifters are supposed to be great but shimano's rapid fire stuff is also very perfected by now. Now you also have STI shifting thrown into the mix with the 2003 XTR and 2004 XT line which other people really love. I'd say that if you have a friend with a rapidfire bike take it for a ride and see how you like it before you buy.

I know what bike you have and the grip shift on that bike was low end. I've never had a problem with grip shift, I use the top two models, but as everyone says-it's up to you. If I used rapid fire I would probably say to get it. For newbies I think it is better but I've used both and I'm not in a hurry to get rid of the grip!

I was a grip shift fan till I got my brain in gear (no pun intended) with my thumb and forefinger. Now that I can shift without thinking, the rapid fires live up to what they're called. Shifting is faster and smoother, thus giving more control on the trail. The only reason I started out with grip shift is that's what my bike came with. When I had the chance to build up my own bike, I was encouraged to go with rapid fire, and I'm glad I did!

i would definatley go with shimano rapid fire shifters
dont go for the cheaper sram ones that just came out

I have experience with both and I vote for rapid fire. But after breaking my thumb I have problems to shift front derailleur. Stil pains even after more than a year.

Use a gripshift as they are alot stronger and more less complicated to fit than rapid fire. Their shifting isn't bad either.

Originally posted by MGSuarez
there is a reason they call it Grip$hit!! One more vote for rapid fire! Really, it is just preferance.

Concur whole-heartedly! Rapid fire rules. It used to suck back in the early 90s (we used to call it "rapid failure"), but now it's kickin'. I've tried old gripshift and new, and I will never run a bike with that **** on it.

JMc

No probelms ever with 'grip shift' in both mountain trail and street riding adventures.

This discussion is much ado about nothing, aye?

Cheers!

i used to have a bike with gripdshifts, and i loved them..... until i tried rapidfire. With gripshifts i would sometimes shift by accident.

it's really a preference though. It's a little hard to get used to having an up lever and a down lever at first.