grippiest tires

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by shming123, Feb 12, 2005.

1. shming123

shming123 New Member

Anyone have some experience using a few different tires? Which tires seem to grip the best around corners in criteriums?

Tags:

2. leestevens

leestevens New Member

Michelin Pro Race. Best H.P. tyre by far. Vittoria come in a close second. I wouldn't even bother with conti's again, unless they are singles.:eek:

3. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Never had a problem with grip/traction on Vredestein Tri-Comps and Fortezzas.

They also make a lighter, race-only tire called the Superlite. Here's the description:

http://www.vredesteinusa.com/images/spacer.gif

4. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

Michelin Pro Race 2 or Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX

and I would buy them from bicyclerubber.com

5. sanjoy

sanjoy New Member

Personally I would not buy from them as they site site gives this when you click on shop ...

Access Denied
    You are not allowed to see the page.

If you have any queries about this error, please e-mail [email protected]in.
    Back to www.bicyclerubber.com homepage

[ Powered by Zeus Web Server ]

6. taras0000

taras0000 New Member

I've tried Vittoria's (hated them, found them to be not very grippy), Michelins (everything from their training to race tires, frankly their training tires grip better in my opinion, their race tires are only slightly better than Vittorias), Vredensteins (Loved them!), Continentals (gripped well, but many flats and sidewall blowouts at high speed), Tufo's (only on the track, but grip and "feel" were good in my opnion), and Panaracers (the old Elites and the Stradius Pro).

In my opinion, the Stradius was the best tire i've ever tried and i'm a crit racer/track sprinter. Cornering is my strong point and I tend to push a tire to it's limits fairly often. Just my cornering style. These tires are super grippy and seem to last very long. Next best in my opinion are the Vredenstein Fortezza's. Same sort of attributes as the Stradius, just not as good. Just my two cents

7. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

I have been folowing this thread with intrest. New tyres due soon.

In Perth WA we have a couple of peculiar problems that influence tyre selection, double-Gs and sand. The size of the sand particle here, on roads, paths, everywhere is just right for most fine groove racing tyres to pick up with the riders weight and fling it all over the FD, under the seat, and riders back, yuk what a mess. The double g is a thorn or prickle with amazing penetration, no tyre/tube can survive, I have had 2 tubes to replace so far.

My Trekking bike has Continental City Contact 32x622 and handles the sand very well, double-Gs, well, one so far.

My FB Road Bike, I have been considering Conti Ultra Gator Skins, but for the sand.... So, this morning I spoke to Continental on the phone and their recomendation was the Continental Grand Prix 4-Season - Paris-Roubaix equipment, in 23x622. The construction being reasonably resistant to double Gs, the tread having none of the past problems with sand.

Any feedback on these tyres is appreciated. Sorry if I hijacked your topic. :)

8. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Also, a slightly wider tire often helps with grip. Don't be afraid to try 25c sizes, because they don't weigh enough more than the equivalent 23c to worry about - usually 10-15 grams per tire, if that.

A wider 25c tire with the same PSI will generally roll easier than the same 23c tire/same PSI.

9. caotropheus

caotropheus New Member

Vittoria, no doubt

10. ChangMan

ChangMan New Member

I would rate my Hutchinson's a very close second to the Michelin Pro Race. The Michelin's definitely hook great in even in the rain. I've been known to take a few turns waaaay too fast in the rain too. :rolleyes:

11. AussieRob

AussieRob New Member

One name: Vredestein

12. Wurm

Wurm New Member

That's what I keep trying to tell these snapperheads!! :rolleyes:

13. Faferoni

Faferoni New Member

Mich Pro Race...those are like double stick tape. Love 'em.

14. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Not according to my experience on them, as well as others in my group rides.

Best clinchers I've seen for cornering are Vred's, certain Hutchinson's, and Panaracer's top models. Sometime soon I hope to test Veloflexes.

15. Aitchy

Aitchy New Member

Michelin Pro Race2 for dry and if it is damp try the Pro Grip2 which I have found to be awesome, have used through the winter and my bike refuses to get out of shape even at silly angles.
    Craig.

16. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Vittoria Open Corsa.....any of the slick ones.

Even if you just had one on the front it would be worth it.

I reckon they're grippier and more tacky than the TriComps, but the TriComps last longer.

In my opnion, Conti GP3000 tyres aren't in the class if the Vittorias, but they are also longer lasting.

Vittorias and Vredesteins are also rated to 145psi (as are some of the Veloflex, and, i think, some of the Clements -- what's happened to their website?), so, if you're heavy, and/or you're racing on very smooth surfaces, it's nice to know you can crank up the presssure if you want.

http://www.veloflex.it/
    http://www.vittoria.com/index3.asp?lingua=en

Michelins are only rated to 115psi, so pumping them up to 125 is not reassuring. That's the only thing that puts me off the Pro Race; I like to have at least 125psi in the rear because I'm "chunky" :)

17. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX. Keep in mind that they will not last long, but are like bubblegum in terms of grip.

Or some of the higher end Tufos, although people tend to love them or hate them.

18. dhk

dhk New Member

Believe the difference in grip between the top racing slicks from the companies mentioned is going to be insignificant compared to the difference in grip you get from the dirt, sand, gravel, oil and water on the road.

My experience is that any of the top tires on a clean, dry road will stick as far as I care to lean the bike. Only problems I've ever had occurred when the road is slick, oily, or dirty with sand or gravel....it doesn't take much to make things exciting.