Grit in eyes with contact lenses: Any suggestions to avoid?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve Shapiro, May 18, 2003.

  1. My wife began having problems with grit getting into her eye while riding. She has to wear contact
    lenses because she is very nearsighted and her corrective glasses are heavier then her bike. So, I
    would sincerely appreciate any suggestions for riding eyewear that would keep dust out of her eyes.
    She does wear sunglasses, but they are the not wrap-around type, and they do not help. I wear
    glasses, ride along with her, and have had no problem so it does seem like a contact lens based
    issue. We do not ride very fast and she does not think it is a dryness problem. If there are any
    contact lens wearing riders who have experienced this problem and found a solution, I would
    sincerely appreciate hearing from you.

    Steve Shapiro

    Tags:

  2. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "Steve Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My wife began having problems with grit getting into her eye while riding. She has to wear contact
    > lenses because she is very nearsighted and her corrective glasses are heavier then her bike. So, I
    > would sincerely appreciate any suggestions for riding eyewear that would keep dust out of her
    > eyes. She does wear sunglasses, but they are the not wrap-around type, and they do not help. I
    > wear glasses, ride along with her, and have had no problem so it does seem like a contact lens
    > based issue. We do not ride very fast and she does not think it is a dryness problem. If there are
    > any contact lens wearing riders who have experienced this problem and found a solution, I would
    > sincerely appreciate hearing from you.
    >
    > Steve Shapiro

    LASIK

    Hawke

  3. >She does wear sunglasses, but they are the not wrap-around type, and they do not help.

    Try the wrap around type. I'm a contact lens wearer and I find them quite effective. Remeber you can
    get the ones with interchangeable lenses for differing light conditions - so you don't have to be in
    "shades" all the time.

    Also - take those small phials of drops that help keep the lenses wet - in case it turns out to be a
    dryness problem after all.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Steve Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My wife began having problems with grit getting into her
    eye while
    > riding. She has to wear contact lenses because she is
    very
    > nearsighted and her corrective glasses are heavier then
    her bike. So,
    > I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions for riding
    eyewear that
    > would keep dust out of her eyes. She does wear
    sunglasses, but they
    > are the not wrap-around type, and they do not help. I
    wear glasses,
    > ride along with her, and have had no problem so it does
    seem like a
    > contact lens based issue. We do not ride very fast and
    she does not
    > think it is a dryness problem. If there are any contact
    lens wearing
    > riders who have experienced this problem and found a
    solution, I would
    > sincerely appreciate hearing from you.
    >
    > Steve Shapiro

    Get her some wrap-around sunglasses - works for me

    And you don't have to pay a fortune for 'cycling' glasses just to try this - check your local
    pharmacy for some reasonable quality sunglasses (my current ones were $15 at Walgreen's), or take a
    look at safety glasses in your local hardware store.....

    If they work, you can buy her a pair of $50 'cycling' glasses for Christmas

  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > Get her some wrap-around sunglasses - works for me
    >
    > And you don't have to pay a fortune for 'cycling' glasses just to try this - check your local
    > pharmacy for some reasonable quality sunglasses (my current ones were $15 at Walgreen's), or take
    > a look at safety glasses in your local hardware store.....
    >
    > If they work, you can buy her a pair of $50 'cycling' glasses for Christmas

    I agree. Go get some Uvex safety glasses (I paid $8) at Home Depot. They are light weight and
    come with different color lenses. I use yellow lenses for overcast days and gray or green for
    bright days.

    Pat

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Steve Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My wife began having problems with grit getting into her
    > eye while
    > > riding. She has to wear contact lenses because she is
    > very
    > > nearsighted and her corrective glasses are heavier then
    > her bike. So,
    > > I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions for riding
    > eyewear that
    > > would keep dust out of her eyes. She does wear
    > sunglasses, but they
    > > are the not wrap-around type, and they do not help. I
    > wear glasses,
    > > ride along with her, and have had no problem so it does
    > seem like a
    > > contact lens based issue. We do not ride very fast and
    > she does not
    > > think it is a dryness problem. If there are any contact
    > lens wearing
    > > riders who have experienced this problem and found a
    > solution, I would
    > > sincerely appreciate hearing from you.
    > >
    > > Steve Shapiro
    >
    > Get her some wrap-around sunglasses - works for me
    >
    > And you don't have to pay a fortune for 'cycling' glasses just to try this - check your local
    > pharmacy for some reasonable quality sunglasses (my current ones were $15 at Walgreen's), or take
    > a look at safety glasses in your
    local
    > hardware store.....
    >
    > If they work, you can buy her a pair of $50 'cycling' glasses for Christmas

    All good suggestions -- this really isn't that big a deal.

    I've been wearing contact lenses for nearly 25 years. I've worn them cycling, skiing, rock climbing,
    mountaineering, sailing, windsurfing, and everywhere else. At times I've gone years without even
    owning regular eyeglasses, despite being so nearsighted I can't read the clock next to my bed.

    Wrap-around designs are good, but you can't beat coverage. Teeny little lenses are fashionable these
    days, but the more of your face that's covered, the less wind and dirt blows
    in. Ironically, the cheaper cycling eyeshades with the big, dorky lenses usually work better. Check
    Performance and Nashbar for their budget models. The best ones I ever had were a pair of these
    I bought for 12 bucks. Also check the local hardware store for safety glasses of the same
    design -- the wraparound ones. Uvex makes a bunch of these, at really low prices.

    Matt O.

  7. Thanks everyone. We will give Uvex a try.

    Steve Shapiro