Grit in eyes with contact lenses: Any suggestions to avoid?

Steve Shapiro

Guest
My wife began having problems with grit getting into her eye while riding. She has to wear contact
lenses because she is very nearsighted and her corrective glasses are heavier then her bike. So, I
would sincerely appreciate any suggestions for riding eyewear that would keep dust out of her eyes.
She does wear sunglasses, but they are the not wrap-around type, and they do not help. I wear
glasses, ride along with her, and have had no problem so it does seem like a contact lens based
issue. We do not ride very fast and she does not think it is a dryness problem. If there are any
contact lens wearing riders who have experienced this problem and found a solution, I would
sincerely appreciate hearing from you.

Steve Shapiro

"Steve Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My wife began having problems with grit getting into her eye while riding. She has to wear contact
> lenses because she is very nearsighted and her corrective glasses are heavier then her bike. So, I
> would sincerely appreciate any suggestions for riding eyewear that would keep dust out of her
> eyes. She does wear sunglasses, but they are the not wrap-around type, and they do not help. I
> wear glasses, ride along with her, and have had no problem so it does seem like a contact lens
> based issue. We do not ride very fast and she does not think it is a dryness problem. If there are
> any contact lens wearing riders who have experienced this problem and found a solution, I would
> sincerely appreciate hearing from you.
>
> Steve Shapiro

LASIK

Hawke

>She does wear sunglasses, but they are the not wrap-around type, and they do not help.

Try the wrap around type. I'm a contact lens wearer and I find them quite effective. Remeber you can
get the ones with interchangeable lenses for differing light conditions - so you don't have to be in
"shades" all the time.

Also - take those small phials of drops that help keep the lenses wet - in case it turns out to be a
dryness problem after all.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

"Steve Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My wife began having problems with grit getting into her
eye while
> riding. She has to wear contact lenses because she is
very
> nearsighted and her corrective glasses are heavier then
her bike. So,
> I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions for riding
eyewear that
> would keep dust out of her eyes. She does wear
sunglasses, but they
> are the not wrap-around type, and they do not help. I
wear glasses,
> ride along with her, and have had no problem so it does
seem like a
> contact lens based issue. We do not ride very fast and
she does not
> think it is a dryness problem. If there are any contact
lens wearing
> riders who have experienced this problem and found a
solution, I would
> sincerely appreciate hearing from you.
>
> Steve Shapiro

Get her some wrap-around sunglasses - works for me

And you don't have to pay a fortune for 'cycling' glasses just to try this - check your local
pharmacy for some reasonable quality sunglasses (my current ones were $15 at Walgreen's), or take a
look at safety glasses in your local hardware store.....

If they work, you can buy her a pair of $50 'cycling' glasses for Christmas

> Get her some wrap-around sunglasses - works for me
>
> And you don't have to pay a fortune for 'cycling' glasses just to try this - check your local
> pharmacy for some reasonable quality sunglasses (my current ones were $15 at Walgreen's), or take
> a look at safety glasses in your local hardware store.....
>
> If they work, you can buy her a pair of $50 'cycling' glasses for Christmas

I agree. Go get some Uvex safety glasses (I paid $8) at Home Depot. They are light weight and
come with different color lenses. I use yellow lenses for overcast days and gray or green for
bright days.

Pat

"Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Steve Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My wife began having problems with grit getting into her
> eye while
> > riding. She has to wear contact lenses because she is
> very
> > nearsighted and her corrective glasses are heavier then
> her bike. So,
> > I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions for riding
> eyewear that
> > would keep dust out of her eyes. She does wear
> sunglasses, but they
> > are the not wrap-around type, and they do not help. I
> wear glasses,
> > ride along with her, and have had no problem so it does
> seem like a
> > contact lens based issue. We do not ride very fast and
> she does not
> > think it is a dryness problem. If there are any contact
> lens wearing
> > riders who have experienced this problem and found a
> solution, I would
> > sincerely appreciate hearing from you.
> >
> > Steve Shapiro
>
> Get her some wrap-around sunglasses - works for me
>
> And you don't have to pay a fortune for 'cycling' glasses just to try this - check your local
> pharmacy for some reasonable quality sunglasses (my current ones were $15 at Walgreen's), or take
> a look at safety glasses in your
local
> hardware store.....
>
> If they work, you can buy her a pair of $50 'cycling' glasses for Christmas

All good suggestions -- this really isn't that big a deal.

I've been wearing contact lenses for nearly 25 years. I've worn them cycling, skiing, rock climbing,
mountaineering, sailing, windsurfing, and everywhere else. At times I've gone years without even
owning regular eyeglasses, despite being so nearsighted I can't read the clock next to my bed.

Wrap-around designs are good, but you can't beat coverage. Teeny little lenses are fashionable these
days, but the more of your face that's covered, the less wind and dirt blows
in. Ironically, the cheaper cycling eyeshades with the big, dorky lenses usually work better. Check
Performance and Nashbar for their budget models. The best ones I ever had were a pair of these
I bought for 12 bucks. Also check the local hardware store for safety glasses of the same
design -- the wraparound ones. Uvex makes a bunch of these, at really low prices.

Matt O.

Thanks everyone. We will give Uvex a try.

Steve Shapiro