grocery stores mandatory "courtesy"

jmcquown wrote:
> > In Bavaria the greeting is Gruss Gott. Translates to "Greet God". I'm
> > not sure how atheists feel about that?

> Forget the atheists... are the Bavarians trying to warn you you're about to
> get hit by a bus and therefore get ready to "greet God"?! ;)
>
> Jill

Why forget the atheists? If you do, you are ignoring most of Europe.
Not to mention China and ...

[email protected] wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>> In Bavaria the greeting is Gruss Gott. Translates to "Greet God".
>>> I'm not sure how atheists feel about that?

>> Forget the atheists... are the Bavarians trying to warn you you're
>> about to get hit by a bus and therefore get ready to "greet God"?! ;)
>>
>> Jill

> Why forget the atheists? If you do, you are ignoring most of Europe.
> Not to mention China and ...

It was a joke about the intent behind the greeting, silly.

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
"dee" <[email protected]> wrote:

> and Keep well :)
>
> Suddenly I understand completely how annoying it is to be asked such
> rubbish questions. Being asked "aren't you cold?" so many times today,
> I am starting to think I have sinned for feeling warm! Lol...

Pishtosh! I haven't worn a coat outside in several weeks. I walk from
car to Y, car to grocer store, car to restaurant, etc. Mostly people
look (and small children tell their keepers, "Look! She doesn't have a
coat on!" To the occasional person who comments to me I just smile and
say I have hot blood. (I have one or two coats in my car, BTW. I may
be hot blooded but I'm not stupid.)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>I have a name that can be mangled but I don't play that game.

>>>So, that's your "excuse"? It's a poor one.

>> Right. I'd rather be called by my named mispronounced, than a fictious
>> name that has nothing to do with me.

> You ought to hear them try to pronounce "zxcvbob".
>
> Best regards, ;-)
> Haywood
>=

SNORT!!
--
Syssi

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > Suddenly I understand completely how annoying it is to be asked such
> > rubbish questions. Being asked "aren't you cold?" so many times today,
> > I am starting to think I have sinned for feeling warm! Lol...

> Pishtosh! I haven't worn a coat outside in several weeks. I walk from
> car to Y, car to grocer store, car to restaurant, etc. Mostly people
> look (and small children tell their keepers, "Look! She doesn't have a
> coat on!" To the occasional person who comments to me I just smile and
> say I have hot blood. (I have one or two coats in my car, BTW. I may
> be hot blooded but I'm not stupid.)

It's been an exceptionally warm winter here too. I have the same basic
pattern. House to car, car to Y, Y to car, car to coffee shop, coffee shop to
car, car to grocery store. I was thinking last week when we had a cold snap
that would have been considered a warm spell in any other winter, that while
I have worn a winter jacket this winter, I have not had to zip it up.

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:32:16 -0600 while whitewashing the broccoli
Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> tossed a caber
at the lizard while remarking:

>Pishtosh! I haven't worn a coat outside in several weeks. I walk from
>car to Y, car to grocer store, car to restaurant, etc. Mostly people
>look (and small children tell their keepers, "Look! She doesn't have a
>coat on!" To the occasional person who comments to me I just smile and
>say I have hot blood. (I have one or two coats in my car, BTW. I may
>be hot blooded but I'm not stupid.)

I'm the same way, Barb. I have a big parka and a pair of Sorels in my
car but haven't actually used them. Dang hot flashes keep me plenty
warm even if it wasn't an unusually warm winter here.

Cheryl
~~~Well, we're not in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it
from here.~~~ (from "Thelma & Louise")

On 14 Feb 2006 01:20:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz>
wrote:

>sf and aem traded witticisms:

My God, It's full of stars!

--
Rick R
[email protected]ult

cathy wrote:
> I suppose this is a pretty minor pet peeve, but it still ticks me off.
>
> I shop at Vons in the Los Angeles area (owned and run by Safeway).
> They have two store policies that I find irritating and hypocritical.
> The first is, the checker always asks you "do you need help out to
> your car", no matter what the size of your order. I've had them ask me
> that when all I bought was a half gallon of milk, or a single bag of
> potato chips.

Since this happens each and every time, you probably could get a sense
of timing and delivery, especially since LA has lots of teachers and
wannabes who could help you out if you don't sense the comment coming.

IOW, why not just interject, thanks, i don't need any help today? just
before they ask you? it would be fun to see if you can get your
delivery just right. makes it a challenge.

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:32:02 -0700, "Janet Bostwick" wrote:

> I'm replying to no one in particular and I'm not going to make myself
> popular either.

FWIW, I'm adding my own "Bravo!" to the others you've received.

> ...These people work really hard for their money. To generalize
> about them that they are all low intelligence and don't understand
> what is going on is shameful.

That's putting it mildly.

> Many of these people had the same hopes and aspirations just a
> little while ago that you do and now all they can look forward to is
> a constant, hope-deadening grind...
>
> Most of them have a hard enough time just getting a 40-hour work
> week from their employer, they are not going to jeopardize the job
> they do have to ignore the manager's orders.

What you said -- every eloquent word. Thank you.
There, but for fortune, go the whiners themselves.

> Say thanks, smile and leave.

I always do, while wishing them the same, and *meaning* it, knowing that they'll
probably be subjected to some of the rude classless remarks articulated in this
thread.

> Janet

Nancy

"Sunrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:32:02 -0700, "Janet Bostwick" wrote:
>
>> I'm replying to no one in particular and I'm not going to make myself
>> popular either.

> FWIW, I'm adding my own "Bravo!" to the others you've received.
>
>> ...These people work really hard for their money. To generalize
>> about them that they are all low intelligence and don't understand
>> what is going on is shameful.

> That's putting it mildly.
>
>> Many of these people had the same hopes and aspirations just a
>> little while ago that you do and now all they can look forward to is
>> a constant, hope-deadening grind...
>>
>> Most of them have a hard enough time just getting a 40-hour work
>> week from their employer, they are not going to jeopardize the job
>> they do have to ignore the manager's orders.

> What you said -- every eloquent word. Thank you.
> There, but for fortune, go the whiners themselves.
>
>> Say thanks, smile and leave.

> I always do, while wishing them the same, and *meaning* it, knowing that
> they'll
> probably be subjected to some of the rude classless remarks articulated in
> this
> thread.

Indeed! And while some of them are probably not the brightest people in the
world, so what? They are still people, trying to earn a living, and giving
them a hard time for following management orders seems a bit childish.

--
Peter Aitken