grocery stores mandatory "courtesy"

In article <[email protected]>,
cathy <[email protected]> wrote:

> I suppose this is a pretty minor pet peeve, but it still ticks me off.
>
> I shop at Vons in the Los Angeles area (owned and run by Safeway).
> They have two store policies that I find irritating and hypocritical.
> The first is, the checker always asks you "do you need help out to
> your car", no matter what the size of your order. I've had them ask me
> that when all I bought was a half gallon of milk, or a single bag of
> potato chips.
>
> Apparently it's store policy that they =have= to ask that question, no
> matter what the size of the customer's order. Aside from the
> ludicrousness of the question, I feel it's an insult to me - do I look
> so decrepit that they genuinely think I =need= help? And it's an
> insult to the checker - why can't the store trust their employees to
> use common sense - ask the question if there's a =large= order, or the
> customer is elderly and might need the help. Let the employee assess
> the situation. Its not rocket science. I've complained several times
> and have been told "it's company policy".
>
> The second thing that Vons does that ticks me off is this: when you
> pay by debit or credit card, the checker is required to call you by
> name when they hand you the receipt. So you have to wait while they
> stare at the receipt, and try and figure out how to pronounce your
> name. I find this fake "personalization" worse than just a generic
> "ma'am" or "sir". They don't know me from Adam, they are forced to do
> this, and the whole thing is so phony it makes me crazy. Again, I find
> it insulting, and I'm sure there are other people who genuinely don't
> want the checker announcing their name to everyone within earshot.
> Just imagine the reaction if you heard "Thank you, Ms. Longoria" or
> "Thank you, Mr, Laurie".

What reaction did you get when you wrote to the store's HQ to express
your dislike of those practices? If you haven't complained, you should.
Store managers don't read minds; if people don't complain and continue
shopping there, the only conclusion they can make is to assume you like
their policies, unless you tell them otherwise.

On 11 Feb 2006 18:08:00 -0800, "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Cathy complained:
>The first is, the checker always asks you "do you need help out to
>your car", no matter what the size of your order. I've had them ask me
>that when all I bought was a half gallon of milk, or a single bag of
>potato chips.
>

>Apparently it's store policy that they =have= to ask that question, no
>matter what the size of the customer's order. Aside from the
>ludicrousness of the question, I feel it's an insult to me - do I look
>so decrepit that they genuinely think I =need= help.
>----------------------------
>Why be such a complainer, when they are being courteous? How many
>times have you/we said "How do you do?" , or "Nice to meet you", when
>it is actually just a social form. You've posted this complaint before,
>I think.

The problem is, they're =not= being courteous. They're reciting lines
by rote because their company policy forces them to, NOT because they
feel inclined to be courteous. That makes the whole thing a farce.
Saying "How do you do" is a generic social nicety/greeting that isn't
really a question and doesn't require a direct answer. "do you need
help out?" is a direct question, and requires an answer, even when
it's clear the question shouldn't have been asked in the first place.

And no, I have not posted this complaint before. Somebody else may
have, but it wasn't me.

Cathy

"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cathy wrote:
>
> > The second thing that Vons does that ticks me off is this: when you
> > pay by debit or credit card, the checker is required to call you by
> > name when they hand you the receipt. So you have to wait while they
> > stare at the receipt, and try and figure out how to pronounce your
> > name. I find this fake "personalization" worse than just a generic
> > "ma'am" or "sir". They don't know me from Adam, they are forced to do
> > this, and the whole thing is so phony it makes me crazy. Again, I find
> > it insulting, and I'm sure there are other people who genuinely don't
> > want the checker announcing their name to everyone within earshot.
> > Just imagine the reaction if you heard "Thank you, Ms. Longoria" or
> > "Thank you, Mr, Laurie".

> If it really bothers you, simply get a card under a different name.

This caught my attention...short of identity theft, how do you get a debit
or credit card under a different name? When I wanted to use my maiden name
on my debit card after I left my husband, my bank said I'd have to show them
proof that I'd dropped my married name (i.e., either a divorce decree or at
least a new SS card.)

As for restaurant reservations, I've gotten tired of people trying to
pronounce my last name (I don't know why, it's pronounced exactly the way
it's spelled, but it's long. That throws people off.), so I just use my
first name. Next time, however, maybe I'll use another name...Renee
Zellweger maybe.

Lisa Ann

On 11 Feb 2006 20:37:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
<virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

>Cathy wrote:
>
>> The second thing that Vons does that ticks me off is this: when you
>> pay by debit or credit card, the checker is required to call you by
>> name when they hand you the receipt. So you have to wait while they
>> stare at the receipt, and try and figure out how to pronounce your
>> name. I find this fake "personalization" worse than just a generic
>> "ma'am" or "sir". They don't know me from Adam, they are forced to do
>> this, and the whole thing is so phony it makes me crazy. Again, I find
>> it insulting, and I'm sure there are other people who genuinely don't
>> want the checker announcing their name to everyone within earshot.
>> Just imagine the reaction if you heard "Thank you, Ms. Longoria" or
>> "Thank you, Mr, Laurie".

>If it really bothers you, simply get a card under a different name.

I'm sorry, I think maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not talking about the
club card. I mean when I pay with a bank card, or my credit card, the
name on my card gets printed out on the receipt, and as the cashier
tears the receipt off, they peer at your name and say "Thank you,
Mr/Ms. ***, you saved XX dollars today". It's laughable when they get
a name that's unpronounceable - they stand there holding up everything
(the person trying to leave and the people behind them) trying to deal
with this policy.

Cathy

cathy wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2006 18:08:00 -0800, "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Cathy complained:
>>The first is, the checker always asks you "do you need help out to
>>your car", no matter what the size of your order. I've had them ask me
>>that when all I bought was a half gallon of milk, or a single bag of
>>potato chips.
>>

>>Apparently it's store policy that they =have= to ask that question, no
>>matter what the size of the customer's order. Aside from the
>>ludicrousness of the question, I feel it's an insult to me - do I look
>>so decrepit that they genuinely think I =need= help.
>>----------------------------
>>Why be such a complainer, when they are being courteous? How many
>>times have you/we said "How do you do?" , or "Nice to meet you", when
>>it is actually just a social form. You've posted this complaint before,
>>I think.

> The problem is, they're =not= being courteous. They're reciting lines
> by rote because their company policy forces them to, NOT because they
> feel inclined to be courteous. That makes the whole thing a farce.
> Saying "How do you do" is a generic social nicety/greeting that isn't
> really a question and doesn't require a direct answer. "do you need
> help out?" is a direct question, and requires an answer, even when
> it's clear the question shouldn't have been asked in the first place.
>
> And no, I have not posted this complaint before. Somebody else may
> have, but it wasn't me.
>
> Cathy

My teenage daughter, DD, was ranting about clerks and cashiers chirping
"Have a nice day" when they obviously couldn't care less about her day.
So I told her to reply "Mind your own business." It's the perfect
inappropriate response. She laughed.

A few days later when she and her mother went through a drive-thru fast
food place, and "Have a nice day", she mentioned the mind your own
business thing to Mom. Bad idea. Now everytime someone says H.A.N.D.,
DD giggles and Mom scowls at her, and the poor clerk has no idea what's
going on. I think it's kind of funny.

Best regards,
Bob

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 04:30:41 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
<[email protected]> wrote:

>cathy wrote:
>> I suppose this is a pretty minor pet peeve, but it still ticks me off.
>>
>> I shop at Vons in the Los Angeles area (owned and run by Safeway).
>> They have two store policies that I find irritating
>>
>> The second thing that Vons does that ticks me off is this: when you
>> pay by debit or credit card, the checker is required to call you by
>> name when they hand you the receipt.

>That almost offended me once, but i was abel to restrain myself from
>making a sharp retort to the checker as i realized i had used a
>'discount card' from a store i only shop at once a year and my name was
>displayed on their digital read out screen thingy on the cash register.
> But i found it overly familiar. If i shopped there more often i might
>say something.
>
>What ever happened to a tug o the forelock? or at least a simple bow?
>
>Have you been asked if you want the senior discount Cathy? I felt like
>i was cheating the first time it was offered me and i contemplated
>taking it.

LOL!! No, I haven't, but that's because I look a lot younger than I am
(which gets a bit disconcerting at times). And in a few months I'll be
able to say "yes" legitimately, if I'm asked.

Cathy

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> aem wrote about making restaurant reservations:
>

>>I usually pick a name that's been in the news and add "doctor." I've
>>been Doctor Bryant and Doctor Jackson in honor of the Lakers and Doctor
>>Woods for Tiger. I was Doctor Huxtable for our best local restaurant
>>once and the hostess did a double take when I arrived with that name (I
>>look nothing like Bill Cosby). Next time we went there I called and
>>said, this is Doctor Huxtable but tonight call me Doctor Bunker. When
>>we got there it was wasted, as it was a different hostess. -aem

> I've never appended "doctor," but once I made a reservation as "Senator
> Marcus Bibulus." (It was for a wine-tasting dinner, so I thought "bibulus"
> was appropriate.) I've also made reservations for the "Dunwich Group" (an
> allusion to H. P. Lovecraft) and "Captain James Walker" (from the rock opera
> "Tommy.")
>
> Anybody else do this?
>
> Bob

The name Haywood Jablomé comes to mind...

Best regards, :)
Bob

"Lisa Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Cathy wrote:
>>
>> > The second thing that Vons does that ticks me off is this: when you
>> > pay by debit or credit card, the checker is required to call you by
>> > name when they hand you the receipt. So you have to wait while they
>> > stare at the receipt, and try and figure out how to pronounce your
>> > name. I find this fake "personalization" worse than just a generic
>> > "ma'am" or "sir". They don't know me from Adam, they are forced to do
>> > this, and the whole thing is so phony it makes me crazy. Again, I find
>> > it insulting, and I'm sure there are other people who genuinely don't
>> > want the checker announcing their name to everyone within earshot.
>> > Just imagine the reaction if you heard "Thank you, Ms. Longoria" or
>> > "Thank you, Mr, Laurie".

>> If it really bothers you, simply get a card under a different name.

> This caught my attention...short of identity theft, how do you get a debit
> or credit card under a different name? When I wanted to use my maiden
> name
> on my debit card after I left my husband, my bank said I'd have to show
> them
> proof that I'd dropped my married name (i.e., either a divorce decree or
> at
> least a new SS card.)

If you're signing up for just a store discount card, they don't give a hoot
what name you use.

On Sat 11 Feb 2006 10:00:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it zxcvbob?

> cathy wrote:
>> On 11 Feb 2006 18:08:00 -0800, "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Cathy complained:
>>>The first is, the checker always asks you "do you need help out to
>>>your car", no matter what the size of your order. I've had them ask me
>>>that when all I bought was a half gallon of milk, or a single bag of
>>>potato chips.
>>>

>>>Apparently it's store policy that they =have= to ask that question, no
>>>matter what the size of the customer's order. Aside from the
>>>ludicrousness of the question, I feel it's an insult to me - do I look
>>>so decrepit that they genuinely think I =need= help.
>>>----------------------------
>>>Why be such a complainer, when they are being courteous? How many
>>>times have you/we said "How do you do?" , or "Nice to meet you", when
>>>it is actually just a social form. You've posted this complaint before,
>>>I think.

>> The problem is, they're =not= being courteous. They're reciting lines
>> by rote because their company policy forces them to, NOT because they
>> feel inclined to be courteous. That makes the whole thing a farce.
>> Saying "How do you do" is a generic social nicety/greeting that isn't
>> really a question and doesn't require a direct answer. "do you need
>> help out?" is a direct question, and requires an answer, even when
>> it's clear the question shouldn't have been asked in the first place.
>>
>> And no, I have not posted this complaint before. Somebody else may
>> have, but it wasn't me.
>>
>> Cathy

> My teenage daughter, DD, was ranting about clerks and cashiers chirping
> "Have a nice day" when they obviously couldn't care less about her day.
> So I told her to reply "Mind your own business." It's the perfect
> inappropriate response. She laughed.
>
> A few days later when she and her mother went through a drive-thru fast
> food place, and "Have a nice day", she mentioned the mind your own
> business thing to Mom. Bad idea. Now everytime someone says H.A.N.D.,
> DD giggles and Mom scowls at her, and the poor clerk has no idea what's
> going on. I think it's kind of funny.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

IMHO, this whole thread is much ado about very little. If this is enough
to get people bent outta shape, then I doubt they have enough to occupy
their minds. There may be things that they do on their jobs, too, that
annoy the hell out of other people.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Lisa wrote:

>> If it really bothers you, simply get a card under a different name.

> This caught my attention...short of identity theft, how do you get a debit
> or credit card under a different name? When I wanted to use my maiden
> name on my debit card after I left my husband, my bank said I'd have to
> show them proof that I'd dropped my married name (i.e., either a divorce
> decree or at least a new SS card.)

Get a grocery-store discount card under the different name. You won't (or
shouldn't) be able to get a debit or credit card under a false name, but the
grocery store discount cards are wide-open.

> As for restaurant reservations, I've gotten tired of people trying to
> pronounce my last name (I don't know why, it's pronounced exactly the way
> it's spelled, but it's long. That throws people off.), so I just use my
> first name. Next time, however, maybe I'll use another name...Renee
> Zellweger maybe.

Bit-O-Monty-Python: "[the name is] spelled Luxury-Yacht, but it's pronounced
Throat-Warbler Mangrove."

Bob

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm much too busy and have far too much on my mind to give a whit about
> what
> they do or don't say unless it was obviously something rude.

Now this is the second post you've made in this thread, In the first, you
said it was much ado about nothing, but here you are 22 post later still
riveted to the conversation. Evidently you are concerned about what they do
and say.

My opinion- - - - It is fake and sound like BS. At our local market I know
a few employees by name and they know me by name. If I need help, they give
a serious assistance and nothing gratuitous. Otherwise, just a simple Thank
you at the checkout is sufficient courtesy.

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Lisa Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

find

> >> If it really bothers you, simply get a card under a different name.

> > This caught my attention...short of identity theft, how do you get a

debit
> > or credit card under a different name? When I wanted to use my maiden
> > name
> > on my debit card after I left my husband, my bank said I'd have to show
> > them
> > proof that I'd dropped my married name (i.e., either a divorce decree or
> > at
> > least a new SS card.)

> If you're signing up for just a store discount card, they don't give a

hoot
> what name you use.

I know that, but Cathy specified "debit or credit card", which is why I
asked. She didn't say it was the store discount card.

Lisa Ann

On Sat 11 Feb 2006 10:35:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I'm much too busy and have far too much on my mind to give a whit about
>> what they do or don't say unless it was obviously something rude.

> Now this is the second post you've made in this thread, In the first,
> you said it was much ado about nothing, but here you are 22 post later
> still riveted to the conversation. Evidently you are concerned about
> what they do and say.

LOL! Hardly riveted, but apparently you are. I've randomly read 4 posts
in this thread. I find it more interesting that so many people find it so
distressing. There are better ways to expend one's energy.

> My opinion- - - - It is fake and sound like BS. At our local market I
> know a few employees by name and they know me by name. If I need help,
> they give a serious assistance and nothing gratuitous. Otherwise, just
> a simple Thank you at the checkout is sufficient courtesy.

AFAIC, it's just as easy to ignore. Think you're going to change it? Not
in your lifetime. Way too much effort anyway.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

cathy wrote:
> The problem is, they're =not= being courteous. They're reciting lines
> by rote because their company policy forces them to, NOT because they
> feel inclined to be courteous. That makes the whole thing a farce.

Totally agree. Two very dumb Safeway policies. Another is "did you find
everything you need?," and when you say, "no," they say "that's good."

Karen

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Nah....why? This is my standard reaction when people seem to think they'll
> get somewhere posting a complaint here. If they really want something to
> change, they'd write to the source of the problem. Since they don't, they
> must want things to remain the same. They'll shop elsewhere. That'll show
> 'em. Except that it really won't.

My Safeway used to have a customer suggestion box. I asked for three
things -- one was safer lighting in the parking lot, another was to
please have more quarters offered as change at the check-outs, and I
forgot the other. All three were ignored.

Karen

The best oysters rockerfeller I ever had was in Mexico City, too!

Karen

On 11 Feb 2006 22:22:42 -0800, "Karen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>cathy wrote:
>> The problem is, they're =not= being courteous. They're reciting lines
>> by rote because their company policy forces them to, NOT because they
>> feel inclined to be courteous. That makes the whole thing a farce.

>Totally agree. Two very dumb Safeway policies. Another is "did you find
>everything you need?," and when you say, "no," they say "that's good."

Hey, I forgot about that one. The Vons I shop at used to have an
employee, a girl who was a little bit....developmentally challenged,
lets say. I don't know about other customers, but in my experience she
would pounce before I had even gotten all the way in the door "did you
find everything OK?" and then she would follow people around the store
asking the same question. On more than one occasion I had to confront
her and order her to stop following me. I also complained to the
manager. I don't know the reason, but she no longer works there.

Cathy

I have complained to the manager many, many times about these two
policies. The most sympathetic response I've ever gotten is a shrug.
I've also written (snail mail, not email) to Vons corporate,
complaining, and I've never gotten any response.

I don't get it.

Cathy

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 01:56:13 GMT, cathy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I suppose this is a pretty minor pet peeve, but it still ticks me off.
>
>I shop at Vons in the Los Angeles area (owned and run by Safeway).
>They have two store policies that I find irritating and hypocritical.
>The first is, the checker always asks you "do you need help out to
>your car", no matter what the size of your order.

They ask "Do you need help with your bags?" I tell them "Sure! I
walked here and I could use the company on the way home."

They ask "Did you find everything OK?". I say, "I didn't know
what I was looking for so how would I know if I didn't find it?"
or "Isn't it a little too late now that I'm checking out?"

They ask "Paper or Plastic"? I respond, "Surprise me".

I never get any responses, or any help with my bags.

-sw

<[email protected]> wrote:

>The second thing that Vons does that ticks me off is this: when you
>pay by debit or credit card, the checker is required to call you by
>name when they hand you the receipt.

From retailwire.com:

Safeway is one of the companies that wants its cashiers to address
customers by name.

"It is one of the ways we are providing superior customer
service," said Greg Ten Eyck, director of public affairs for the
company's eastern division. "We've had it in place since the early
1990s. We have 1,800 stores throughout the U.S. and Canada and
very rarely do we hear any consumers express that they don't like
it."

Paul McAdam, senior managing director of research at BAI, said
that the majority of consumers do not want to be addressed by
name. In a survey of 3,700 banking customers, "only 23 percent
responded favorably" to being addressed by name by tellers.

Safeway also had a policy that the cashiers are supposed to look
the customers in the eyes and smile. Several female employees
filed a lawsuit claiming that this may give men the wrong idea.