Groin Discomfort After Riding

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Griffith Simister, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Griffith Simister

Hello everyone, I have been experiencing some groin pain after my weekend rides lately and was wondering if anyone has some experience with a seat upgrade. I live and work in Las Vegas and spend my weekends in Red Rock or in the neighborhood in the morning. I have been experiencing discomfort on sundays after my rides. Can anyone recommend a good seat for men? I still have the stock seat on my bike which may be my own fault?

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

That gives my eyes discomfort, let alone my nether regions...

3. CrankyThunder

CrankyThunder Member

Dear Griffith:

Sometimes it is as simple as getting very personal with a razor. What you think is a seat problem might be the hair being pulled every pedal stroke.

Regards,
    Crankster

cyclintom likes this.
  4. likeascroll

likeascroll Member

Do some more stretches before and after you ride.

5. bykster

bykster Member

Groin pain can mean a few things, I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific if you want more specific advice. I've had some pain or rather some bruising when not riding for a while and then getting back looking to continue on in the same rhythm. This was basically just some fatigue and after a few days it goes away. it's really uncomfortable, but you tough it out.

6. Djordje87

Djordje87 Member

If you changed your seat or position of the seat you will need some time to adjust to it. Sometimes you will need to stretch that area as well. I have some similar problems when taking long tours. However, if i stretch nicely i never have problems that can be called serious. The solution that someone proposed involving shaving is very much true as well. I think if you try several things you will see that your problem will be solved. Anyway, usually, all the injuries and discomforting situations concerning our bodies come from inappropriate warming up.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I think every seat requires a bit of time to get adjusted to it so a little pain and stiffness is probably to be expected.

If it's still there after a few weeks then I'd probably think about changing again until you find a new one that does suit.

8. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Do you really mean groin or your prostate?

9. sunshiney

sunshiney Member

Stretches can help, before and after a ride. Finding a new seat is probably your best bet though. I can't really give any recommendations since I've got a female specific seat, but finding something comfortable varies so much from person to person that the best thing you can do is probably look up reviews online and go with something a wide range of people seem to like. Or, if possible, give a few different saddles a try.

It will probably take a bit of riding to get used to a new seat as well, so give yourself a bit of time to adjust to it.

10. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Member

Even though I am a girl, sometimes, when I take long rides, I also experience some great pain down there. It is rather unpleasant. Plus, I think my seat is not a female specific seat, like @sunshiney suggested, which probably is the cause for my pain. I need to do more of a research in that area, and try to find better seat.

11. moneyman

moneyman Member

I have noticed this especially in longer rides and in hot weather. Maybe the reason for it is sweat. However I have tried different kind of seats although I haven't yet found the one which would cause less discomfort.

12. Flatbardave

Flatbardave Member

I was told, "Saddle time" is the #1 cure,
    probably true for the first 4- 500 miles

But I recently got a Brooks B-17 saddle & am impressed.
    The more you ride it, the more it molds to your bones.
    Foam & gel saddles go back to their original shape,
    leather molds & adjusts to your shape & holds that shape .

With a brooks
    I'm told to never let anyone ride your saddle ,
    it's taken miles to get it molded to you.

IMO, the #1 upgrade for comfort on longer rides is a good saddle.
    I think my search for "that saddle" is done.

Brooks: B-17 - made in Gents & Ladies models

13. alexandra3346

alexandra3346 New Member

Even though I am a girl, I still get the same pains after a long ride. After asking around I found that gel set covers work the best for me. They make the bike seat much more comfortable and I have much less pain when I use them.

14. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

Requirements for a saddle - it must be wide enough and with EXACTLY the correct amount of crown to fit you rump when you are in your normal riding position. The nose of the same HAS to be narrow enough so that it does NOT touch the inside of your legs while you are peddling.

While every saddle is a little different even from lot to lot the saddles I've found to work well are Prologo Scratch Pro and Pro II. And the Selle Bassano Vuelta. But both of these saddles can vary in width and crown by as much as 5 mm. And this can be critical. I was given one of those Prologo Scratch Try and Buy saddles and it is great. It solved many of my 5 hour in the saddle pains almost instantly. I bought 3 of the Vuelta's and one was COMPLETELY different width and crown than the other two. I bought a new Prologo Scratch Pro and it has a different crown and is a bit uncomfortable.

The problem I had in the past with Brooks saddles aside from the fortune they cost is that they did not stop changing after they molded to your posterior. Aging from sun and rain caused them to sag or harden and eventually you're back where you started with it not fitting you.

15. Flatbardave

Flatbardave Member

Will post about it if mine does the same.
    Only had it a few months with only 400 miles on it.
    The quest for "The perfect saddle" might never endo_O
    I have a tough time sitting in an easy chair for more than a few hours :)

16. cyclintom

I only had this problem after a couple of years.

17. Flatbardave

Flatbardave Member

Hopefully these old bones are still riding in a couple years
    Be nice to wear something on the bike out LOL :)

18. cyclintom

Maybe we can give a small class in saddles. Most saddles are of the one mile ride out and back variety for going to the store or riding on a bicycle trail near your home. Fitted to very upright riding position such as cruisers or "commuters" which are really old fashion mountain bikes without suspension you can get away with a lot. And because people who ride seldom have a lot of posterior pain you will find saddles that are FAR too wide and with an inch of foam on them. These will suffice for these very short and slow rides. And the rider will usually not have the bike fitted properly and the saddle will; be too low as well.

For people who intend to become real riders there are a far smaller choice of saddles because they must fit properly.

Width is the measurement across not the widest part of the same but the part of the saddle you sit on. Anything behind that is only to keep you from sliding off on a hard climb.

Crown is the measurement of the saddle from being flat across. Some people have very flat cheeks while others are well rounded but muscular enough that if there wasn't sufficient crown your whole weight would be carried on your cheek bones and after a short while that would hurt. You need enough crown to spread your weight around......

The saddle has to have a nose on it so that you do not have to search around for the saddle after standing up in any of the half dozens ways of controlling a road or mountain bike. Also a bump or tree root can throw you sideways and you want something to be able to catch with your knee. But the usual problem with the nose of a saddle is that the taper back to the wide part is too slow so when you are sitting and pedaling it rubs the inside of your thighs. This is the most common reason for crotch pains (as opposed to butt pains).

For serious beginners you will have a year of getting your posterior in shape but the pain in your legs and back from these workouts will generally be so much that you only feel the sore crouch in the evening. You can minimize this by getting a saddle that fits you correctly but as a rule you will make all the wrong choices on a saddle before you find the correct one.

You'll probably have the same problems with shoes. This is one area you shouldn't skimp on costs. Get medium to top of the line Sidi's in the correct size and you'll save going through 5 or 6 pairs of cheaper shoes before finding what you need.

For your second year you will cease being afraid of riding because of all of your leg and back pains and can make better decisions on the saddle. And you'll only fear climbing. You will generally have the leg and back pains only from trying to keep up with others on climbs. If you're naturally a heavy person you may never be able to keep up with the faster people on the climbs - especially those *%*%*&^%*%$*)_ women who usually gave a high muscle to mass ratio. Likewise if you're small and wiry you may be a natural climber. But don't be too snooty about it because the group will drop you on the long windy flats if you do.

After two years of pains your third year will become almost a fairy tale. You will have a saddle that fits. Your legs will have become built up to the point that you don't get cramps from climbing and you will be relaxed enough on the bike that you don't suffer too many back pains. You are now a member of the Brotherhood of the Wheel.

If you start early enough and do not make excessive attempts to keep up with the crazies your cardio-vascular system will expand without developing weaknesses and you will greatly increase your chances of extending your life though you will find couches uncomfortable and standing in lines unbearable. The force will never again be with you. And Disney will hate you. But the hills will be alive with the sounds of music.