Groin Muscle Injury Today!

May 14, 2007
Bummer, I was finishing a 30 mile morning ride on my Tri-Bike around 10:30am. It had just rained and the road was wet. I made a left turn, the bike skidded out from under me and I landed on my left hip and left shoulder.

I immediately stood up to pick up the bike, I immediately collapsed in pain. I could not walk, ride or stand. In fact, I quickly became dizzy and almost passed out from the pain.

After 10 or 15 minutes of sitting/laying on the grass along side the road, I was able to stand, get the chain back on and ride home at a blazing 8mph. This was good and I still could not walk.

I attended to the road rash quickly with soap/water and Neosporin, then covered the injury with 2nd Skin to keep it mosit.

Unfortunately, I have been in bed all day with a groin muscle pull. Walking is difficult and painful. Tonight it feels a bit better, but I am severly ****** and annoyed as I was scheduled for a 60 mile ride tomorrow with friends.

Anyone have any suggestions to facilitate recovery?

Thanks

Holy cow, sorry to hear that.

Ice and rest, then stretching and strengthening when the pain is gone. I never wait long enough before I start the stretching and strengthening, so my injuries that forever to heal :(

Hope you get better soon!

8ab4 said:
Holy cow, sorry to hear that.

Ice and rest, then stretching and strengthening when the pain is gone. I never wait long enough before I start the stretching and strengthening, so my injuries that forever to heal :(

Hope you get better soon!

Thanks,

I stayed in bed and iced all weekend. This morning I had to get up for work, but I could walk and the pain is tolerable.

I will limit any activity and take it easy until the groin injury heals. On Saturday, I was pretty concerned that I had a Class III groin muscle tear. Fortunately, my doctor said it was not that severe.

This was my first crash, so I guess now I am a REAL cyclist. ;-)

Interesting.

My bicycle also slipped out while I was doing a left hand turn a few years ago - what I thought was water turned out to be water and oil. I was off work for almost 4 months while I recovered from the shattered trocanter (that's the bone that sticks out a little just below your hip), and I used a cane for quite awhile after that. I could sort of walk again without a limp after a year or so. I still have a built in very large hip screw and 6 smaller screws that were installed to hold the bits together while it healed up.

Thank your lucky stars it wasn't worse.

Last year I was just going easy and a raccoon darted out into my front wheel. I went down (the friggin coon didn't), and what must have happened is I stuck my (cleated) left foot out to break my fall, and it just slid out on the pavement. I was nice and bloodied up and had a slight pain in my groin. A guy in a pickup truck was kind enough to take me and my bike home. I took a shower and when I got out I was having trouble walking. In another hour I could not move my leg or put any weight on it at all. Moving it at all actually made me scream in pain.

My wife bought me crutches the next morning and I very painfully made it to my doctor's office. She sent me for x-rays to rule out a broken pelvis. Luckily there were no breaks. I was on crutches for over three weeks, and a couple of times a day I would move the leg just wrong (usually when trying to get up from a chair) and involuntarily scream in pain. One time it dropped me to the floor. It was the worst pain I've ever experienced.

It took about a month to begin walking again, but after that recovery was quick and there were no lingering aftereffects.

So good luck with it - sounds like you didn't make out too terribly bad.

Yikes! I'm cringing reading all these stories. Outside of one or two embarassing tip-overs with my first set of clipless pedals I luckily haven't had any falls or crashes at speed in many, many years since my BMX days in the dirt.

For all you hot rodders out there following behind me wondering why I'm slowing down a bit excessively around wet turns (heck, even dry turns), these stories are why.