ground lamb ideas

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Julia Altshuler, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket. I've
    used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and sauteed
    mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas for using
    it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-meat sauce
    over pasta, and I'd like something different.

    --Lia

    Tags:

  2. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s02...
    > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    > sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
    > for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
    > meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
    >
    > --Lia

    Here's oe I like for lamb meatballs.

    http://www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm#Lamb%20Meatballs
    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. Rmiller

    Rmiller Guest

    >Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    >I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    >sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas for
    >using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-meat
    >sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
    >
    >--Lia

    Someone in rfc gave me this recipe many years ago, it is
    easy and delicious, I often make it for parties.

    Ground lamb--,form into small balls about the size of a
    nickel, roll in poppy seeds, bake in 350 oven... half
    an hour ????

    Pour chutney over and serve... really good. Rosie

  4. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Julia Altshuler wrote:

    > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    > sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
    > for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
    > meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
    >
    > --Lia

    Moussaka was my first suggestion. How about mixed with rice
    and stuffed into grape leaves or peppers? I found this
    recipe in an archive while looking for Mrs. Badwey's Kibbee:

    Lebanese Baked Kibbee

    1 pound (500 g) lean ground beef or lamb
    1/2 cup fine- to medium-grade bulgar (crushed wheat) 1
    medium onion, finely chopped 2 tablespoons pine nuts or
    walnuts 2 tablespoons dried parsley 2 tablespoons water 1
    tablespoon peanut oil
    2/2 teaspoon dried mint
    3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    4/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    5/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

    Combine the meat, bulgar, onion, water, parsley, mint,
    allspice, pepper, and cinnamon in a food processor. Process
    until doughy. Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Lightly oil an 8
    inch square baking dish or a 9 inch round baking dish. Pat
    half of the meat mixture into the pan. Sprinkle the nuts
    over the top. Then cover with the remaining meat. While
    still in the pan, cut the kibbe into 1 1/2 inch square or
    diamond shapes. Brush the peanut oil over the top. Bake for
    30 to 35 minutes, or until firm and browned well. Serve the
    kibbe from the pan or invert it onto a platter.

    gloria p

  5. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Julia Altshuler wrote:

    > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    > sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
    > for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
    > meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
    >
    > --Lia

    If you look up kebab recipes you will find numerous ways to
    use the minced lamb. It's also nice for stuffing aubergines
    (eggplant) or other vegetables.

  6. "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s02...
    > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    > sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
    > for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
    > meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
    >
    > --Lia

    Koftas or kebeh (kibeh, kibbe, etc) come to mind.

    David

  7. Robert Klute

    Robert Klute Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:55:26 GMT, Julia Altshuler
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    >I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    >sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas for
    >using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-meat
    >sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.

    Keema is my favorite, right after shami kabob. It is served
    loose either with naan (like flour tortilla) or rice.

    Here is are some sample recipes:
    http://www.recipehound.com/Recipes/5152.html
    http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/htm/lamb.htm#Davids_Shami

  8. Steve Ritter

    Steve Ritter Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:55:26 GMT, Julia Altshuler <[email protected]>
    Interjected.. :

    > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    > sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
    > for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
    > meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
    >
    > --Lia

    I've had this recently. Many times actually, in my travels.
    It's addictive. Try it.

    RAW KIBBEH (Lamb Pate)

    2 lbs. lean lamb 2 medium onions finely chopped 3 cups
    Cracked Wheat 2 tbsp. salt 1 tsp. pepper

    Remove all fat from meat and cut into cubes. Grind the meat
    finely twice. Grind onions once. Mix with ground meat and
    grind once more. Wash burghol and drain by cupping hands and
    squeezing out all water. Mix with meat and onion mixture and
    salt and pepper. Grind or knead mixture twice, adding water
    little by little until you get the kibbeh dough soft and
    smooth. Cover with olive oil and serve with warm pita bread.
    If desired garnish with sauteed pine nuts.

    Enjoy!
    Steve

    Buffering... _69%_ |||||||||||||||||||

  9. On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:55:26 GMT,
    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    > sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
    > for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
    > meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.

    I love lamb. The Middle Eastern grocery store
    carries ground lamb, but they're always running
    out before we can get our hands on it! Sometimes,
    I make patties with ground egg, ground cumin,
    garlic, maybe some oregano, served with rice pilaf
    and tzatziki sauce. A salad or sliced
    cucumbers/tomatoes on the side would be good, too.

    Ariane

  10. On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:43:06 GMT, Steve Ritter
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:55:26 GMT, Julia Altshuler
    ><[email protected]> Interjected.. :
    >
    >> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    >> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    >> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
    >> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
    >> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
    >>
    >> --Lia
    >
    > I've had this recently. Many times actually, in my
    > travels. It's addictive. Try it.
    >
    > RAW KIBBEH (Lamb Pate)
    >
    >2 lbs. lean lamb 2 medium onions finely chopped 3 cups
    >Cracked Wheat 2 tbsp. salt 1 tsp. pepper
    >
    >Remove all fat from meat and cut into cubes. Grind the meat
    >finely twice. Grind onions once. Mix with ground meat and
    >grind once more. Wash burghol and drain by cupping hands
    >and squeezing out all water. Mix with meat and onion
    >mixture and salt and pepper. Grind or knead mixture twice,
    >adding water little by little until you get the kibbeh
    >dough soft and smooth. Cover with olive oil and serve with
    >warm pita bread. If desired garnish with sauteed pine nuts.

    Raw kibbeh is delicious, but I wouldn't make it from
    meat bought already ground up, which is what Julia was
    asking about.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

  11. "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s02...
    > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    > sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
    > for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
    > meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
    >
    > --Lia

    Shepherd's Pie! Victor posted an excellent one a year and a
    half ago or so. It is for leftover lamb, but you can cook
    the lamb and use it instead.

    Charlie

    SHEPHERD'S PIE

    Recipe from: "The Real Meat Cookbook", Frances Bissell
    Posted by: Victor Sack, rfc, 18NOV02

    1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped 1 tbs. olive oil
    1.5 lbs. (680g) cooked lamb, minced or finely chopped
    2/3 pint (200ml) lamb stock or gravy 2 tbs. port 1 tsp.
    Worcestershire sauce pinch grated nutmeg pinch of ground
    allspice pinch of chopped fresh rosemary 1 tbs. finely
    chopped parsley salt pepper 2 lbs. (900g) mashed potatoes

    Lightly brown the onion in olive oil. Mix with the rest of
    the ingredients except for the potatoes and spoon into an
    ovenproof dish. Spread the mashed potato over the top and
    score with the tines of a fork. Bake for about 45 minutes in
    the top of a preheated oven at 180C.

  12. And the winner is ... the filling for dolmas stuffed into
    peppers. I found a recipe for egg-lemon sauce, and I've got
    the pine nuts on hand. Thanks to all who wrote.

    --Lia

  13. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s02...
    > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    > sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
    > for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
    > meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
    >
    > --Lia

    See Below:

    Dimitri

    Keftedes;

    Servings:4 to 6 servings Ingredients:2 lb. lean ground lamb
    2 eggs 1 md. minced onion 2 tbsp. minced green onion 1 bunch
    chopped parsley 2 cloves garlic, minced 3 tbsp. Cavendar's
    Salt Free Greek Seasoning 3 tbsp. dried Greek oregano Salt
    and pepper to taste

    Directions:Combine all ingredients in a bowl and form
    meatballs about 2 inches in circumference. Dredge in flour
    and cook in olive oil in a deep pan, turning often or deep
    fry in a mixture of olive and canola oil. Takes roughly 8-10
    minutes to cook through.

    And

    Greek Rice

    Fennel has a way of giving foods a lighter taste. 1 cup
    (200g) uncooked rice ½ lb. (225g) fresh chestnuts or ¼ lb.
    (110 g) dried peeled chestnuts ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil 1
    tbsp. Fennel seed ¼ cup (50g) currants or chopped raisins
    salt and pepper ½ cup (110ml) plain yogurt Cook the rice and
    meanwhile roast and peel the chestnuts or prepare the dried
    chestnuts. Once the rice is cooked, heat a good sized
    skillet and add the olive oil. To the hot oil add the fennel
    seed and chestnuts and sauté for a few minutes. Next add the
    rice and currants. Mix it all well then transfer to a
    serving dish and fold in the yogurt. Garnish with fresh
    fennel leaves and a lemon wedge

  14. Jed

    Jed Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    >I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    >sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas for
    >using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-meat
    >sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.

    This is a regular on my menu:

    Unwrapped Dolmas (unstuffed grapeleaves)

    1lb Ground Lamb 1 cup Day-old Rice
    1/2 cup Pine Nuts Grape leaves (to taste)
    2/4 cup Diced Onion 2 clove Diced Garlic Several leaves
    diced Mint cinnamon allspice

    Roast the pine nuts in a hot pan util brown and aromatic.

    Julienne the grape leaves into small strips.

    Crumble and fry up the lamb. Add gralic and onion and
    saute until
    limp. Add the rice, stir through, then the grape leaves. Add
    the cinnamon and allspice to taste ( a little goes a
    long way). When evertyhing is heated through, add the
    pine nuts and mint and serve.

    Serve with a cucumber/yoghurt raita or taboulleh and
    pita bread.

    _jed

  15. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've had this recently. Many times actually, in my
    > travels. It's addictive. Try it.
    >
    > RAW KIBBEH (Lamb Pate)

    I respectfully disagree - This stuff is dry and nasty, a
    waste of good lamb.

    Make gyro's w/cucumber sauce instead.

    -sw

  16. It came out great. Lamb Stuffed Bell Peppers

    1. I made a 1/4 cup (raw) of brown rice.

    2. In a fry pan, brown 2 chopped onions and 2 chopped
    cloves of garlic. Add a pound of ground lamb. Brown. Add
    the brown rice, an 8 ounce can of Muir Glen tomato
    sauce, 1/4 cup pine nuts (should have toasted ahead of
    time, will next time), 1/4 cup dried currants, 1/4 cup
    port wine, little cinnamon (I love it; Jim hates it; we
    compromised), handful chopped parsley, juice of a lemon.
    Mix altogether. Heat through. This is the stuffing.

    3. In the same pot the rice was cooked in, boil water. Cut
    tops out of green bell peppers to de-seed. Boil peppers
    about 3 minutes each until just barely softened. I used
    3 peppers but had stuffing leftover. Next time I'll do
    5. Remove peppers to loaf pan in which they can be
    arranged to stand upright. Stuff with stuffing. Place in
    medium oven to stay warm while you make the lemon sauce.

    4. This was the fun part. I'd never made this before, liked
    it and will make it again. Keep that pot of water
    boiling. In the top of a double boiler, whip up 3 eggs
    until very frothy. Add the juice of 2 lemons. Start
    whipping over the boiling water. Also add 1/2 cup meat
    broth warmed in the microwave. I had the pan drippings
    leftover from last night's steak. I'm not sure what I'd
    use if I didn't have that in the fridge. The sauce will
    thicken as it heats. Next time I'll add some dill, but
    this was good, very light and thick and lemony and rich.

    5. Serve lemon sauce over stuffed peppers.

    To my mind, a complicated recipe is one that uses lots of
    pots and pans. I never mind how many ingredients are in it.
    This recipe uses the one sauce pan for the rice, parboiling
    the peppers and the double boiler. There's the fry pan, the
    loaf, the top of the double boiler, one measuring cup and
    the usuals of cutting board and assorted spoons. Therefore,
    this recipe is one I could make again.

    --Lia

  17. How about shepherds pie ?

    Julia Altshuler wrote:

    > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
    > sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
    > for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
    > meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
    >
    > --Lia

  18. Limey

    Limey Guest

    > Julia Altshuler wrote:
    >
    > > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
    > > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers
    > > and sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good
    > > ideas for using it? My imagination keeps running towards
    > > tomato-meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something
    > > different.
    > >
    > > --Lia

    Here's another idea, Lia.

    Dora

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Lamb Gyros

    1 pound lean ground lamb 2 cloves garlic 1 1/2 teaspoons
    dried oregano leaves -- crushed 1 teaspoon onion powder 1
    teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon pepper 1 large tomato -- cut in half and
    then into slices 1 small onion -- thinly sliced 4
    whole pita pocket breads -- cut in half, warmed

    Prepare Cucumber Yogurt Sauce: cover and refrigerate:
    Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce

    4 oz. (125g) plain low-fat yogurt
    4/4 cup cucumber, seeded and finely chopped 1 tablespoon
    finely chopped onion 1 clove garlic, crushed
    5/2 teaspoon sugar

    Place all ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly.

    In a large bowl, combine lamb, garlic, dried oregano
    leaves, onion powder, salt and pepper; mix lightly but
    thoroughly. Shape into two oval 1/2-inch thick patties.
    Place patties on rack in broiler pan so surface of meat is
    3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 8 to 10 minutes or until no
    longer pink, turning once. Carve each patty into thin
    slices. Place equal amounts of lamb, tomato and onion in
    each pita half; serve with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce.

    Source: "http://www.absoluterecipes.com"