ground lamb ideas

Julia Altshuler

Guest
Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket. I've
used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and sauteed
mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas for using
it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-meat sauce
over pasta, and I'd like something different.

--Lia

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
>
> --Lia

Here's oe I like for lamb meatballs.

http://www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm#Lamb%20Meatballs
--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

>Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
>I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
>sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas for
>using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-meat
>sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
>
>--Lia

Someone in rfc gave me this recipe many years ago, it is
easy and delicious, I often make it for parties.

Ground lamb--,form into small balls about the size of a
nickel, roll in poppy seeds, bake in 350 oven... half
an hour ????

Pour chutney over and serve... really good. Rosie

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
>
> --Lia

Moussaka was my first suggestion. How about mixed with rice
and stuffed into grape leaves or peppers? I found this
recipe in an archive while looking for Mrs. Badwey's Kibbee:

Lebanese Baked Kibbee

1 pound (500 g) lean ground beef or lamb
1/2 cup fine- to medium-grade bulgar (crushed wheat) 1
medium onion, finely chopped 2 tablespoons pine nuts or
walnuts 2 tablespoons dried parsley 2 tablespoons water 1
tablespoon peanut oil
2/2 teaspoon dried mint
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
4/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
5/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine the meat, bulgar, onion, water, parsley, mint,
allspice, pepper, and cinnamon in a food processor. Process
until doughy. Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Lightly oil an 8
inch square baking dish or a 9 inch round baking dish. Pat
half of the meat mixture into the pan. Sprinkle the nuts
over the top. Then cover with the remaining meat. While
still in the pan, cut the kibbe into 1 1/2 inch square or
diamond shapes. Brush the peanut oil over the top. Bake for
30 to 35 minutes, or until firm and browned well. Serve the
kibbe from the pan or invert it onto a platter.

gloria p

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
>
> --Lia

If you look up kebab recipes you will find numerous ways to
use the minced lamb. It's also nice for stuffing aubergines
(eggplant) or other vegetables.

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
>
> --Lia

Koftas or kebeh (kibeh, kibbe, etc) come to mind.

David

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:55:26 GMT, Julia Altshuler
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
>I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
>sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas for
>using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-meat
>sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.

Keema is my favorite, right after shami kabob. It is served
loose either with naan (like flour tortilla) or rice.

Here is are some sample recipes:
http://www.recipehound.com/Recipes/5152.html
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/htm/lamb.htm#Davids_Shami

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:55:26 GMT, Julia Altshuler <[email protected]>
Interjected.. :

> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
>
> --Lia

I've had this recently. Many times actually, in my travels.
It's addictive. Try it.

RAW KIBBEH (Lamb Pate)

2 lbs. lean lamb 2 medium onions finely chopped 3 cups
Cracked Wheat 2 tbsp. salt 1 tsp. pepper

Remove all fat from meat and cut into cubes. Grind the meat
finely twice. Grind onions once. Mix with ground meat and
grind once more. Wash burghol and drain by cupping hands and
squeezing out all water. Mix with meat and onion mixture and
salt and pepper. Grind or knead mixture twice, adding water
little by little until you get the kibbeh dough soft and
smooth. Cover with olive oil and serve with warm pita bread.
If desired garnish with sauteed pine nuts.

Enjoy!
Steve

Buffering... _69%_ |||||||||||||||||||

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:55:26 GMT,
Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:
> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.

I love lamb. The Middle Eastern grocery store
carries ground lamb, but they're always running
out before we can get our hands on it! Sometimes,
I make patties with ground egg, ground cumin,
garlic, maybe some oregano, served with rice pilaf
and tzatziki sauce. A salad or sliced
cucumbers/tomatoes on the side would be good, too.

Ariane

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:43:06 GMT, Steve Ritter
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:55:26 GMT, Julia Altshuler
><[email protected]> Interjected.. :
>
>> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
>> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
>> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
>> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
>> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
>>
>> --Lia
>
> I've had this recently. Many times actually, in my
> travels. It's addictive. Try it.
>
> RAW KIBBEH (Lamb Pate)
>
>2 lbs. lean lamb 2 medium onions finely chopped 3 cups
>Cracked Wheat 2 tbsp. salt 1 tsp. pepper
>
>Remove all fat from meat and cut into cubes. Grind the meat
>finely twice. Grind onions once. Mix with ground meat and
>grind once more. Wash burghol and drain by cupping hands
>and squeezing out all water. Mix with meat and onion
>mixture and salt and pepper. Grind or knead mixture twice,
>adding water little by little until you get the kibbeh
>dough soft and smooth. Cover with olive oil and serve with
>warm pita bread. If desired garnish with sauteed pine nuts.

Raw kibbeh is delicious, but I wouldn't make it from
meat bought already ground up, which is what Julia was
asking about.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
>
> --Lia

Shepherd's Pie! Victor posted an excellent one a year and a
half ago or so. It is for leftover lamb, but you can cook
the lamb and use it instead.

Charlie

SHEPHERD'S PIE

Recipe from: "The Real Meat Cookbook", Frances Bissell
Posted by: Victor Sack, rfc, 18NOV02

1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped 1 tbs. olive oil
1.5 lbs. (680g) cooked lamb, minced or finely chopped
2/3 pint (200ml) lamb stock or gravy 2 tbs. port 1 tsp.
Worcestershire sauce pinch grated nutmeg pinch of ground
allspice pinch of chopped fresh rosemary 1 tbs. finely
chopped parsley salt pepper 2 lbs. (900g) mashed potatoes

Lightly brown the onion in olive oil. Mix with the rest of
the ingredients except for the potatoes and spoon into an
ovenproof dish. Spread the mashed potato over the top and
score with the tines of a fork. Bake for about 45 minutes in
the top of a preheated oven at 180C.

And the winner is ... the filling for dolmas stuffed into
peppers. I found a recipe for egg-lemon sauce, and I've got
the pine nuts on hand. Thanks to all who wrote.

--Lia

"Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
>
> --Lia

See Below:

Dimitri

Keftedes;

Servings:4 to 6 servings Ingredients:2 lb. lean ground lamb
2 eggs 1 md. minced onion 2 tbsp. minced green onion 1 bunch
chopped parsley 2 cloves garlic, minced 3 tbsp. Cavendar's
Salt Free Greek Seasoning 3 tbsp. dried Greek oregano Salt
and pepper to taste

Directions:Combine all ingredients in a bowl and form
meatballs about 2 inches in circumference. Dredge in flour
and cook in olive oil in a deep pan, turning often or deep
fry in a mixture of olive and canola oil. Takes roughly 8-10
minutes to cook through.

And

Greek Rice

Fennel has a way of giving foods a lighter taste. 1 cup
(200g) uncooked rice ½ lb. (225g) fresh chestnuts or ¼ lb.
(110 g) dried peeled chestnuts ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil 1
tbsp. Fennel seed ¼ cup (50g) currants or chopped raisins
salt and pepper ½ cup (110ml) plain yogurt Cook the rice and
meanwhile roast and peel the chestnuts or prepare the dried
chestnuts. Once the rice is cooked, heat a good sized
skillet and add the olive oil. To the hot oil add the fennel
seed and chestnuts and sauté for a few minutes. Next add the
rice and currants. Mix it all well then transfer to a
serving dish and fold in the yogurt. Garnish with fresh
fennel leaves and a lemon wedge

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
>I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
>sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas for
>using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-meat
>sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.

This is a regular on my menu:

Unwrapped Dolmas (unstuffed grapeleaves)

1lb Ground Lamb 1 cup Day-old Rice
1/2 cup Pine Nuts Grape leaves (to taste)
2/4 cup Diced Onion 2 clove Diced Garlic Several leaves
diced Mint cinnamon allspice

Roast the pine nuts in a hot pan util brown and aromatic.

Julienne the grape leaves into small strips.

Crumble and fry up the lamb. Add gralic and onion and
saute until
limp. Add the rice, stir through, then the grape leaves. Add
the cinnamon and allspice to taste ( a little goes a
long way). When evertyhing is heated through, add the
pine nuts and mint and serve.

Serve with a cucumber/yoghurt raita or taboulleh and
pita bread.

_jed

<[email protected]> wrote:

> I've had this recently. Many times actually, in my
> travels. It's addictive. Try it.
>
> RAW KIBBEH (Lamb Pate)

I respectfully disagree - This stuff is dry and nasty, a
waste of good lamb.

Make gyro's w/cucumber sauce instead.

-sw

It came out great. Lamb Stuffed Bell Peppers

1. I made a 1/4 cup (raw) of brown rice.

2. In a fry pan, brown 2 chopped onions and 2 chopped
cloves of garlic. Add a pound of ground lamb. Brown. Add
the brown rice, an 8 ounce can of Muir Glen tomato
sauce, 1/4 cup pine nuts (should have toasted ahead of
time, will next time), 1/4 cup dried currants, 1/4 cup
port wine, little cinnamon (I love it; Jim hates it; we
compromised), handful chopped parsley, juice of a lemon.
Mix altogether. Heat through. This is the stuffing.

3. In the same pot the rice was cooked in, boil water. Cut
tops out of green bell peppers to de-seed. Boil peppers
about 3 minutes each until just barely softened. I used
3 peppers but had stuffing leftover. Next time I'll do
5. Remove peppers to loaf pan in which they can be
arranged to stand upright. Stuff with stuffing. Place in
medium oven to stay warm while you make the lemon sauce.

4. This was the fun part. I'd never made this before, liked
it and will make it again. Keep that pot of water
boiling. In the top of a double boiler, whip up 3 eggs
until very frothy. Add the juice of 2 lemons. Start
whipping over the boiling water. Also add 1/2 cup meat
broth warmed in the microwave. I had the pan drippings
leftover from last night's steak. I'm not sure what I'd
use if I didn't have that in the fridge. The sauce will
thicken as it heats. Next time I'll add some dill, but
this was good, very light and thick and lemony and rich.

5. Serve lemon sauce over stuffed peppers.

To my mind, a complicated recipe is one that uses lots of
pots and pans. I never mind how many ingredients are in it.
This recipe uses the one sauce pan for the rice, parboiling
the peppers and the double boiler. There's the fry pan, the
loaf, the top of the double boiler, one measuring cup and
the usuals of cutting board and assorted spoons. Therefore,
this recipe is one I could make again.

--Lia

How about shepherds pie ?

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
> I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers and
> sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good ideas
> for using it? My imagination keeps running towards tomato-
> meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something different.
>
> --Lia

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > Once again, I've bought ground lamb at the supermarket.
> > I've used it in moussaka. I've made plain lambburgers
> > and sauteed mushrooms in the same pan. Any other good
> > ideas for using it? My imagination keeps running towards
> > tomato-meat sauce over pasta, and I'd like something
> > different.
> >
> > --Lia

Here's another idea, Lia.

Dora

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lamb Gyros

1 pound lean ground lamb 2 cloves garlic 1 1/2 teaspoons
dried oregano leaves -- crushed 1 teaspoon onion powder 1
teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper 1 large tomato -- cut in half and
then into slices 1 small onion -- thinly sliced 4
whole pita pocket breads -- cut in half, warmed

Prepare Cucumber Yogurt Sauce: cover and refrigerate:
Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce

4 oz. (125g) plain low-fat yogurt
4/4 cup cucumber, seeded and finely chopped 1 tablespoon
finely chopped onion 1 clove garlic, crushed
5/2 teaspoon sugar

Place all ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly.

In a large bowl, combine lamb, garlic, dried oregano
leaves, onion powder, salt and pepper; mix lightly but
thoroughly. Shape into two oval 1/2-inch thick patties.
Place patties on rack in broiler pan so surface of meat is
3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 8 to 10 minutes or until no
longer pink, turning once. Carve each patty into thin
slices. Place equal amounts of lamb, tomato and onion in
each pita half; serve with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce.

Source: "http://www.absoluterecipes.com"