Groundbreaking new dope-testing strategy at the Tour de France

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chumpito, Jun 28, 2004.

  1. Chumpito

    Chumpito Guest

    I hope this is all that it will take to clean up the sport. I'm sick
    of the doping, rumors, innuendos, and coming out years later with
    revelations. i think we could all use a break from that crap. The
    following is from Eurosport.com.

    "Increasingly under pressure amid the recent wave of doping scandals,
    the UCI (International Cycling Union) has today suggested that it will
    hit back with a groundbreaking new dope-testing strategy at the Tour
    de France.

    Five days before the Tour is due to set out from Liège, Belgium, UCI
    head doctor Mario Zorzoli told news agency AP on Monday that the 2004
    Grande Boucle could be the first ever sporting event to use blood
    tests as part of its anti-doping protocol.

    Until now, blood tests had only been used within the scope of UCI
    health tests, or as a "trigger" for follow-up urine tests on anomalous
    samples. While failure of a health test incurs only a two-week "rest
    period", infringements of the UCI's anti-doping protocol are
    sanctioned with bans ranging from several months to four years.

    "We have decided to introduce anti-doping blood tests," Zorzoli
    confirmed today. "Nothing is official yet, but we know that our
    regulations permit us to perform blood tests and we're not worried
    about doing precisely that. It should happen: we have methods
    available to us to do it. I believe that it will be a first in a
    sporting event."

    If put into force, the new tests could effectively sound the death
    knell for products such as synthetic haemoglobin and human growth
    hormone, and also catch out riders practising blood transfusions. In
    all three cases the move would mark the fruition of years of research.
    The development of a test for human growth hormone alone has taken
    almost a decade and has cost several millions of dollars. As recently
    as two weeks ago, WADA-sponsored research scientists at the University
    of Southampton told procycling that they were "pessimistic" about a
    test for the banned hormone being approved in time for the Athens
    Olympics in August.

    According to AP, the decision to introduce the blood tests follows a
    meeting between UCI officials and the French Ministry of Sports and
    Youth around a month ago. In early May the UCI had revealed to
    procycling that the French Châtenay-Malabry laboratory was on the
    brink of perfecting a test to detect synthetic haemoglobin.

    Contacted on Monday morning, Tour de France director Jean-Marie
    Leblanc appeared to confirm the advent of blood tests at the Tour:
    "The UCI will be able to detect human growth hormone, I think," said
    Leblanc. "They tell me that taking the blood sample is a very long
    process. Well, on the morning of the stage or the evening after it,
    and taking into account the capacity of the laboratories, we are
    trying to find a way to work in harmony with the various authorities."

    Tags:

  2. David Miller

    David Miller Guest

    Another problem with "daily blood testing" is that, if you take enough
    blood, it's eventually going to hurt performance. These tests are not
    "finger stick" assays, but require a tube of blood. The first tube is
    discarded, and the second is sent to the lab. There is some blood wasted in
    the syringe/tubing.

    If you do this on a daily basis, eventually, the victim of the repeated
    phlebotomy becomes...anemic. This is why urine testing is prefered.

    If I were I rider, I'd balk. The deck is stacked against the people doing
    well.

    "Chumpito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I hope this is all that it will take to clean up the sport. I'm sick
    > of the doping, rumors, innuendos, and coming out years later with
    > revelations. i think we could all use a break from that crap. The
    > following is from Eurosport.com.
    >
    > "Increasingly under pressure amid the recent wave of doping scandals,
    > the UCI (International Cycling Union) has today suggested that it will
    > hit back with a groundbreaking new dope-testing strategy at the Tour
    > de France.
    >
    > Five days before the Tour is due to set out from Liège, Belgium, UCI
    > head doctor Mario Zorzoli told news agency AP on Monday that the 2004
    > Grande Boucle could be the first ever sporting event to use blood
    > tests as part of its anti-doping protocol.
    >
    > Until now, blood tests had only been used within the scope of UCI
    > health tests, or as a "trigger" for follow-up urine tests on anomalous
    > samples. While failure of a health test incurs only a two-week "rest
    > period", infringements of the UCI's anti-doping protocol are
    > sanctioned with bans ranging from several months to four years.
    >
    > "We have decided to introduce anti-doping blood tests," Zorzoli
    > confirmed today. "Nothing is official yet, but we know that our
    > regulations permit us to perform blood tests and we're not worried
    > about doing precisely that. It should happen: we have methods
    > available to us to do it. I believe that it will be a first in a
    > sporting event."
    >
    > If put into force, the new tests could effectively sound the death
    > knell for products such as synthetic haemoglobin and human growth
    > hormone, and also catch out riders practising blood transfusions. In
    > all three cases the move would mark the fruition of years of research.
    > The development of a test for human growth hormone alone has taken
    > almost a decade and has cost several millions of dollars. As recently
    > as two weeks ago, WADA-sponsored research scientists at the University
    > of Southampton told procycling that they were "pessimistic" about a
    > test for the banned hormone being approved in time for the Athens
    > Olympics in August.
    >
    > According to AP, the decision to introduce the blood tests follows a
    > meeting between UCI officials and the French Ministry of Sports and
    > Youth around a month ago. In early May the UCI had revealed to
    > procycling that the French Châtenay-Malabry laboratory was on the
    > brink of perfecting a test to detect synthetic haemoglobin.
    >
    > Contacted on Monday morning, Tour de France director Jean-Marie
    > Leblanc appeared to confirm the advent of blood tests at the Tour:
    > "The UCI will be able to detect human growth hormone, I think," said
    > Leblanc. "They tell me that taking the blood sample is a very long
    > process. Well, on the morning of the stage or the evening after it,
    > and taking into account the capacity of the laboratories, we are
    > trying to find a way to work in harmony with the various authorities."

  3. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    "David Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Another problem with "daily blood testing" is that, if you take enough
    > blood, it's eventually going to hurt performance. These tests are not
    > "finger stick" assays, but require a tube of blood. The first tube is
    > discarded, and the second is sent to the lab. There is some blood wasted

    in
    > the syringe/tubing.
    >
    > If you do this on a daily basis, eventually, the victim of the repeated
    > phlebotomy becomes...anemic. This is why urine testing is prefered.
    >
    > If I were I rider, I'd balk. The deck is stacked against the people doing
    > well.

    It says FIVE days before the tour they will be drawn, not everyday
    Dave

  4. Tuschinski

    Tuschinski Guest

    Dave H wrote:
    > "David Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:XZ2Ec.3003-
    > [email protected]:[email protected]
    > newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
    > > Another problem with "daily blood testing" is that, if you take
    > > enough blood, it's eventually going to hurt performance. These tests
    > > are not "finger stick" assays, but require a tube of blood. The first
    > > tube is discarded, and the second is sent to the lab. There is some
    > > blood wasted

    > in
    > > the syringe/tubing.

    > You are sure that they will take a significant amount?
    > >
    > > If you do this on a daily basis, eventually, the victim of the
    > > repeated phlebotomy becomes...anemic. This is why urine testing is
    > > prefered.
    > >

    > Really? I thought a blood loss of a tube would be made up easily. Also,
    > I am still wondering if they want to test blood of all atheletes daily,
    > or do say 25 a day (meaning every rider gets 3 bloodtests a TdF) as that
    > seems unclear from the text in the intial post.
    > > If I were I rider, I'd balk. The deck is stacked against the people
    > > doing well.

    > Besides of the morality of the tests (yes I think it is crossing the
    > line of decency!), couldn't you refuse on principal/religious grounds?
    > Anyway I look at it it is becoming more of a witch-hunt as a true
    > investigation.
    > It says FIVE days before the tour they will be drawn, not everyday Dave

    The original post indicates no such thing, altough I must say that I
    assume that they wont be doing 200 bloodtests daily (seems a tad
    expensive/difficult?)

    --

  5. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > "Increasingly under pressure amid the recent wave of doping
    scandals,
    > the UCI (International Cycling Union) has today suggested that it

    will
    > hit back with a groundbreaking new dope-testing strategy at the Tour
    > de France.

    Sounds to me like the usual pre Tour / Olympics "we found a new
    spectacular testing method so don't try to dope" talk.