Group sets question??

John-L

Apr 28, 2006
Hi all,

I have acquired a set of Campagnolo Shamal wheels. I am trying to identify what cassette and hub is fitted to the rear wheel?

Can anyone explain the difference between a shimano compatible hub and cassette and a campagnolo hub and cassette???

My bike is equipped with ultegra so I dont want to cause any damage by using the wrong kit with it?

Many thanks

John.

Well, you can't put campy cassettes on a shimano hub, and vice-versa, cause the spline patterns are different. Having said that though, it sometimes is possible to mix and match a non-group cassette with your drivetrain, although performance may not be optimum. For example, you can generally use shimano 9 speed wheels on a campy 10 drivetrain, as the width is not too different. But IME, 10 speed shimano and 10 speed campy don't work very well together, partly because the index mechanism in the levers moves the respective gears just a little differently (Shimano and Campy are off by a few millimeters). But there are people who report having no problems as well with such a set-up so go figure....

Anyway, short answer: take a look at the cassette and see what the mark is (duh!)...if it's campy, don't despair, you can also get a conversion cassette to make it perfectly compatible with your shimano drivetrain.
Although....if it were me, I would have checked that info (hub type) before getting the wheels...

BikingBrian said:
Well, you can't put campy cassettes on a shimano hub, and vice-versa, cause the spline patterns are different. Having said that though, it sometimes is possible to mix and match a non-group cassette with your drivetrain, although performance may not be optimum. For example, you can generally use shimano 9 speed wheels on a campy 10 drivetrain, as the width is not too different. But IME, 10 speed shimano and 10 speed campy don't work very well together, partly because the index mechanism in the levers moves the respective gears just a little differently (Shimano and Campy are off by a few millimeters). But there are people who report having no problems as well with such a set-up so go figure....

Anyway, short answer: take a look at the cassette and see what the mark is (duh!)...if it's campy, don't despair, you can also get a conversion cassette to make it perfectly compatible with your shimano drivetrain.
Although....if it were me, I would have checked that info (hub type) before getting the wheels...
thanks for that,

there is no mark on the cassette at all, I have removed it with a chain whip and socket tool that I know fits shimano cassettes. Also all of the cogs in the cassette are separates divided on the hub by a grey plastic spacer that you have to pull off the hub one by one?

does this help with identification??

thanks

john.

John-L said:
thanks for that,

there is no mark on the cassette at all, I have removed it with a chain whip and socket tool that I know fits shimano cassettes. Also all of the cogs in the cassette are separates divided on the hub by a grey plastic spacer that you have to pull off the hub one by one?

does this help with identification??

thanks

john.

Ohhhhh....in that case, I would guess Shimano-compatible?? Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe if you posted a pic, someone could id it? The only other thing I would guess is perhaps a Mavic cassette - I had one once, on a Shimano-hubbed mavic wheel, in order to use with a Campy drivetrain...hence, the need to use a shimano cassette tool with it. Anyway, the cassette also had no markings, and were all single...don't know if this is the case with yours or not, though?

Ask your LBS.........

I'd guess its campy though. Shamals are famous campy wheels, and most people don't like mixing campy wheels with shimano drivetrains. Hence Fulcrum exist.

I 2nd Phill's comment.
:rolleyes:
Phill P said:
Ask your LBS.........

I'd guess its campy though. Shamals are famous campy wheels, and most people don't like mixing campy wheels with shimano drivetrains. Hence Fulcrum exist.