Group Upgrade Question

wmorrison818

Aug 4, 2013
I currently have a 2008 fuji roubaix (specs posted below) and was looking at upgrading the shifters to the shimano 105 10 speed. I know I'll have to get the 10 sp. cassette as well obviously. But does anyone think if I would need to upgrade the rear derailleur as well? I was also going to do the front derailleur. Would I need a new crankset also?
Any info is much appreciated.

Frame & Fork Frame Construction TIG-welded Frame Tubing Material Fuji Altair 2 AL/Carbon seatstays Fork Brand & Model Fuji FC-770 Carbon Fork Material Carbon/Alloy Steerer, aero crown Rear Shock Not applicable

Components Component Group Road Mix Brakeset Tektro R-350 brakes, Shimano Tiagra levers Shift Levers Shimano Tiagra Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra, 31.8mm clamp Rear Derailleur Shimano 105 Crankset FSA Gossamer Compact, 34/50 teeth Pedals Not included Bottom Bracket FSA Mega EXO BB Shell Width Unspecified Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 25 teeth Chain KMC HG-73, 1/2 x 3/32" Seatpost Fuji Pro Forged Alloy Saddle Fuji UltraLite Racing Handlebar Fuji UltraLite 6061 Handlebar Extensions Unspecified Handlebar Stem Fuji Pro Forged Alloy Headset 1 1/8" integrated Tange IS-24

Your Tiagra rear derailleur should work just fine. While I can 10-speed front derailleurs and 9-speed chains do not work together well, your 9-speed derailleur and 10-speed chain might. Just the same, if they give you trouble don't waste too much time. Set some reserve for a 105 front derailleur.

Are your derailleurs failing? If not then why upgrade? If you must upgrade then the 105 is the best route to upgrade to, and upgrading the front to 105 is relatively inexpensive but may not be necessary if it works fine. Tiagra front derailleur is only working double chainrings, it doesn't matter if it's a 9 speed or a 10 speed because the double is still a double on both. Personally I don't see any reason to move to a 10 speed rear cluster, it's only one more gear which isn't going to do anything for you! Keep in mind, I'm a tightwad, so I try to make things work for people as cheaply as possible yet still be just or almost as effective.