Groupset advice

This may be stating the obvious, but you do NOT just want the possible replacement stem to be same length as the stem which was on your Raleigh ...

You will want it to be at the same relative height to the top of the saddle as it was on your Raleigh ...

So, if the replacement stem is (by chance) lower than it was on your Raleigh you may not achieve the comfort you once had on your Raleigh.​

For example, for a smaller 50cm frame which I set up for ME to ride, I actually ended up using a 90mm stem (vs. 120mm on a 54cm frame) because the stem was LOWER relative to the top of the saddle.
BTW. It is really too bad that the shop (?) which sold you your Willier didn't ensure that it was set up the same way your former bike had been OR if you bought your Willier privately that you did not have a better sense of the orientation of the "contact" points which you (the rider!) prefer.

Yeah, this one is totally on me.. It was a private seller.. and this is where my inexperience shines through.. because I never had issues like this before.. I didn't even bother checking the stem lengths, etc. :(

FWIW ...

YOUR knowledge that you were comfortable on your Raleigh lets you know that YOU can be comfortable on a Drop bar bike is probably half the battle because some people never get used to the slightly lower riding position for one reason or another ...

So, although you don't have the numerical information to transfer & expedite the fit, it's really just going to be some trial-error ...
If you don't mind spending an extra $10-or-$20 (presuming that you are a wise shopper and get the replacement stem(s) directly from one of eBay's Chineses sellers), I would start with one of the shorter possibilities ... a stubby 60mm stem, for example, and then see if THAT is more comfortable for your shoulders ... if you don't feel cramped, then that could be it.

If your current stem is a 110mm or 120mm, then an 80mm or 90mm stem may be the ticket.
Check this eBay page (as an example) for options:

Two stems directly from China for the price of the one via Amazon seems like a slightly better option to me.
The caveat with stuff coming from China is that while it can arrive in 10 days, it could take a couple of months ... once in a while, things are lost in transit ...

BTW. I try not to ship-or-receive anything to-or-from Europe or Asia from mid-October to mid-January ...

Why take a chance with holiday mail?​

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I've always kinda wondered about the parts I find on eBay. I know parts at the LBS are expensive.. and they don't always carry what I'm looking for. So, Maybe I'll pick up a stem. Is there anything I should be looking for, specifically? Looks like the link says 31.8 (I assume that's normal for a Road bike? Forgive me, I've NEVER replaced a stem before.. among other things). After I measure my current stem, of course.
One last question, when my LBS assembled my bike a few months back, I noticed they put my stem on upside down. So, I was wondering.. would this cause me a problem like this? I asked them about it last time I brought it in and they we're like "meh, it's fine like that.. it's just preference.. won't make any difference, really".. So we left it..

31.8 MM is the handlebar and stem clamp diameter. 1-1/8" is the stem clamp diameter on the fork steerer tube. This is the standard for most modern road bikes. Length usually run 50 MM to 140 MM depending on manufacture, model, application and all the ****.

I prefer shopping Amazon to eBay, but both offer up some good deals. Check out the English websites...ChainReaction, Wiggle, ProBikeKit, PlanetCyclery, Ribble, Evans, Merlin, Halford's, etc. Prices are very good and shipping is free if you buy $75-$100 worth of products. Here there is WesternBikeWorks (BikeTiresDirect), Jenson USA, Nashbar, Performance, Competitive Cyclist, Colorado Cyclist, Branford Bike, ExcelSports, etc.

Bookmark those sites and shop them before you make large purchases. And remember that most offer price matching.

There's nothing wrong with supporting your LBS, but I usually build up my own stuff or wear out parts fast enough I want to shop around. I make sure that several LBS's get my cash for some expendables, food, some clothing (always buy shoes IN PERSON!) and what have you.

10 days is about the normal shipping window from G.B. or the continent. Plan ahead and delivery is rarely an issue. Competitive Cyclist just had free 2-day shipping on any order $49 and higher.

Last edited:
One last question, when my LBS assembled my bike a few months back, I noticed they put my stem on upside down. So, I was wondering.. would this cause me a problem like this? I asked them about it last time I brought it in and they we're like "meh, it's fine like that.. it's just preference.. won't make any difference, really".. So we left it..

Stems can be installed in both directions to increase or decrease the amount of 'rise' (angle). There is no right or wrong there and it is rider preference to suit his or her position on the bike.

It might be said that faster, more aerodynamically oriented, more flexible, competition oriented...whatever...riders install the stem to provide the lower position on the bike and that more comfort oriented, recreational types, those with bad backs or other injuries use the stem flipped to provide a more upright riding position.

Again, there is no 'correct' position, just two positions. One or the other may work better for your body and/or riding style. They may make little or no difference to a given rider. Dealer's choice.