Groupset comparisons - Campagnolo, FSA, Shimano and SRAM

teachie99

Jun 22, 2007
Has anyone seen a comparison of the different major groupset vendors' products? Googling 'groupset comparison' and a quick search on the threads here hasn't produced what I'm looking for.

For example, I understand the Shimano groupset hierarchy but don't know which Campagnolo groupset should be compared against the 105 or Ultegra groupset. I guess weight and price are the most reliable indicators as durability is more subjective.

Thanks.

1. Please do a search on this forum. This is a subject that comes up regularly.

2. Check out the Sacred Site: http://www.campagnolo.com/

3. The Campagnolo range, starting from Record (top of the line) is:

Record
Chorus --> Dura Ace
Centaur --> Ultegra
Veloce --> 105
Mirage
Xenon

The 'pairing' that I propose can be argued - many would try to compare Dura Ace with Record, but given the latter's price and weight I feel (IMVHO) that Record is in a class of its own.

Cannot comment on SRAM stuff as I am not very familiar, and FSA has yet to come out with a full groupset so it is not yet in the running. I would recommend going with Shimano or Campagnolo. Wait another season or two for SRAM (never be an early adopter!) and wait even longer on FSA (uncertain quality/reliability from what I have seen).

Fire away!

Powerful Pete said:
1. Please do a search on this forum. This is a subject that comes up regularly.

2. Check out the Sacred Site: http://www.campagnolo.com/

3. The Campagnolo range, starting from Record (top of the line) is:

Record
Chorus --> Dura Ace
Centaur --> Ultegra
Veloce --> 105
Mirage
Xenon

The 'pairing' that I propose can be argued - many would try to compare Dura Ace with Record, but given the latter's price and weight I feel (IMVHO) that Record is in a class of its own.

Cannot comment on SRAM stuff as I am not very familiar, and FSA has yet to come out with a full groupset so it is not yet in the running. I would recommend going with Shimano or Campagnolo. Wait another season or two for SRAM (never be an early adopter!) and wait even longer on FSA (uncertain quality/reliability from what I have seen).

Fire away!
Thanks for the info Mr Pete, that is the sort of guideline I was looking for. Should make it easier to compare bikes.

Campagnolo provide weights for their components on the link you provided, do you know where to find weights for Shimano components? They don't provide that info on their website e.g. checking the 105 groupset on http://www.shimano.com.au/catalog/cycle/products/group.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302037370&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181400&bmUID=1186706653312

It would be interesting to see how people would place SRAM's road groups on that chart. Where would the Red group sit?

sogood said:
It would be interesting to see how people would place SRAM's road groups on that chart. Where would the Red group sit?

Well, since it ain't out yet, no one can say. It's definitely ugly.

alienator said:
Well, since it ain't out yet, no one can say. It's definitely ugly.
As usual, you sounded like a true Campy aficionado! :D

Ok, how about Force? If Force gets equated with Chorus, then... :eek:

teachie99 said:
Thanks for the info Mr Pete, that is the sort of guideline I was looking for. Should make it easier to compare bikes.

Campagnolo provide weights for their components on the link you provided, do you know where to find weights for Shimano components? They don't provide that info on their website e.g. checking the 105 groupset on http://www.shimano.com.au/catalog/cycle/products/group.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302037370&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181400&bmUID=1186706653312
Honestly, I would not know. I do not go to that website often. :p I am sure you can come across weights and all that for Shimano groupsets with the assistance of Mr. Google.

sogood said:
As usual, you sounded like a true Campy aficionado! :D

Ok, how about Force? If Force gets equated with Chorus, then... :eek:
Well, Alienator is right about the looks of the SRAM stuff.

Cannot comment on the SRAM groups, as I stated earlier.

Powerful Pete said:
Well, Alienator is right about the looks of the SRAM stuff.

Cannot comment on the SRAM groups, as I stated earlier.
I'd say Force sits in at about the level of DA or Chorus. I've run all 3 and think the comparison is about right.

Rival is mechanically the same as Force, just doesn't have the carbon bits. So it's hard to place. Probably approximately close to Ultegra/Centaur.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
I'd say Force sits in at about the level of DA or Chorus. I've run all 3 and think the comparison is about right.

Rival is mechanically the same as Force, just doesn't have the carbon bits. So it's hard to place. Probably approximately close to Ultegra/Centaur.

--brett
I agree -- Force is marketed against Dura-Ace, Red supposed to be Record level, Rival marketed against Ultegra (with Dura-Ace level performance).

Dan

They all work. And you get what you pay for. Sounds like a broken record.

Just choose!

End of story.