Groupsets for bikes...

William Burgess

Apr 27, 2011
Hi,

I'm about to build my first bike. I've inherited a Graham Weigh, Reynolds 753 frame with forks, ITM handlebars, a saddle and a pedal hub. I've been looking into all the parts I need and I have noticed that campag do some groupsets (with the lower end being in my price range)

I found this: http://www.cyclingbargains.com/product_info.php/campagnolo-veloce-10speed-2011-groupset-p-1303?currency=GBP

and this: http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/campagnolo-veloce-speed-item134216.html

what do I need to be aware of? Does the size of my frame matter with these groupsets??

I can see I am asking a lot, but I would really like some help (with more questions to come I'm sure). I had my last bike stolen which was a hand built bike from my home town (Kendal) which was really a prized possession. I figured I wanted to build my own bike as a bit of a personal challenge and since a very kind person gave me this frame I'm ready to start buying and building!!

thank you

Originally Posted by William Burgess .
what do I need to be aware of? Does the size of my frame matter with these groupsets??....
Most components in common groupsets including the Veloce group you linked are interchangeable, but a few items have to be matched with appropriate frame tube sizes and or threading including:

- Seat posts have to match you seat tube size. Your 753 frame likely has a 27.2mm seat tube diameter.

- Similarly front derailleurs come in clamp on and braze on styles. If you buy a clamp on front derailleur you'll want the clamp to match the seat tube diameter down where the derailleur clamps on. You can use a braze on style derailleur either if your frame has the appropriate bracket 'brazed' on or you buy a conversion clamp of the correct diameter to match your seat tube and mount the derailleur to the bracket on that conversion clamp.

- Bottom brackets (is that what you're calling a pedal hub?) come in various sizes and various threadings with English and Italian threading being most common. If you already have a bottom bracket then this isn't relevant but then you'll want to make sure your crankset is compatible with the bottom bracket you have unless you already have the matching crankset.

- Headsets come either threaded or threadless and in either a 1" or 1 1/8 inch sizes for common steel frames like yours. If you already have the headset, stem and handlebars then this is also irrelevant but if you want to replace any of those components you'll want to get the correct sizes to match the other pieces.

- Depending on the age of your frame the rear dropouts that hold the rear wheel will likely be 126mm wide or 130mm wide. Ideally you want 130mm wide dropouts to match a modern 9 or 10 speed rear hub but with steel bikes you can either just squeeze the wheel in every time you change it or you can have the rear dropouts re-spaced to the newer 130mm standard. You can even re-space them yourself using hand strength but then ideally you'll want to have the alignment checked at a shop with the appropriate tools to make sure your rear derailleur hanger is still aligned properly for good shifting performance.

That's the big stuff to pay attention to and it's a lot easier if you already have the seatpost, bottom bracket, headset, stem and bars and if the bike has a brazed on front derailleur hanger. You can check the sizes of the various tubes, dropout spacing, etc. with a pair of calipers.

Good luck,
-Dave