groupsets: ultegra vs. chorus or centuar?

Kevin

Guest
I'm not sure if this is the right group for this question. if not, please redirect me!

I going to buy a new road bike, and am looking for some opinions about components. my bike gets
about 5000 miles a year commutting in chicago, plus some longer rides, but the major wear and tear
is from the city streets and lights. I am leaning toward getting an ultegra group becuase that is my
price range, but have recently had some people singing the praises of Campy. Is chorus worth the
extra money over ultegra? how does centar stack up? I am mainly concerned with performance after ten
or twenty thousand miles. weight is not a concern.

thanks for your time. peace

kevin

[email protected]

>I going to buy a new road bike, and am looking for some opinions about components. my bike gets
>about 5000 miles a year commutting

for commutting, I vote for Centaur for pleasure, I vote for Chorus third choice is Ultegra w/ campy
rdr & brifters

Sorry, forgot to add Ultegra w/ bar ends would be a good choice B

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:29:04 +0000, Kevin wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right group for this question. if not, please redirect me!
>
> I going to buy a new road bike, and am looking for some opinions about components. my bike gets
> about 5000 miles a year commutting in chicago, plus some longer rides, but the major wear and tear
> is from the city streets and lights. I am leaning toward getting an ultegra group becuase that is
> my price range, but have recently had some people singing the praises of Campy. Is chorus worth
> the extra money over ultegra? how does centar stack up? I am mainly concerned with performance
> after ten or twenty thousand miles. weight is not a concern.

Chorus can be rebuilt. I can't speak for Centaur. I know that Shimano you have to replace when it
wears out. For lots of miles and heavy use, Campy will come out cheaper, especially if you maintain
it yourself. If you upgrade to keep up with the latest trends, get Shimano. If you ride the same
equipment hard for years, get Campy.

-Dondo

Kevin wrote:
> I going to buy a new road bike, and am looking for some opinions about components. my bike gets
> about 5000 miles a year commutting in chicago, plus some longer rides, but the major wear and tear
> is from the city streets and lights. I am leaning toward getting an ultegra group becuase that is
> my price range, but have recently had some people singing the praises of Campy. Is chorus worth
> the extra money over ultegra? how does centar stack up? I am mainly concerned with performance
> after ten or twenty thousand miles. weight is not a concern.

If weight is not a concern, might as well go for some Veloce and Mirage parts if considering
Campagnolo. Most of the components in these ranges are similar and are just as, or even more,
durable than Centaur and above - they just don't look so nice and weigh a few more grams.

Major exceptions is hubs: Centaur: very different design from Veloce. And Mirage brake & gear
levers are plastic - but nice plastic! (Mirage's Ergo internal mechanism is same as Veloce and
9sp Centaur).

~PB

> the city streets and lights. I am leaning toward getting an ultegra group becuase that is my price
> range, but have recently had some people singing the praises of Campy. Is chorus worth the extra
> money over ultegra? how does centar stack up? I am mainly concerned with

i vote centaur brifters & ders. with ultegra triple cranks. if you're in a spending mood upgrade the
brifters to chorus.

[email protected] (Kevin) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I'm not sure if this is the right group for this question. if not, please redirect me!
>
> I going to buy a new road bike, and am looking for some opinions about components. my bike gets
> about 5000 miles a year commutting in chicago, plus some longer rides, but the major wear and tear
> is from the city streets and lights. I am leaning toward getting an ultegra group becuase that is
> my price range, but have recently had some people singing the praises of Campy. Is chorus worth
> the extra money over ultegra? how does centar stack up? I am mainly concerned with performance
> after ten or twenty thousand miles. weight is not a concern.
>
> thanks for your time. peace
>
> kevin
>
> [email protected]

Why not use both?

http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

and

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/3755.0.html

Scroll down section Mix and Match.

Chorus is the functional equivalent of Record with the lightweight (and expensive) bits left out.
Equal to Dura Ace (better IMO, though not much cheaper) rather than Ultegra. Centaur is the Ultegra
equivalent.

R / John

"Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm not sure if this is the right group for this question. if not, please redirect me!
>
> I going to buy a new road bike, and am looking for some opinions about components. my bike gets
> about 5000 miles a year commutting in chicago, plus some longer rides, but the major wear and tear
> is from the city streets and lights. I am leaning toward getting an ultegra group becuase that is
> my price range, but have recently had some people singing the praises of Campy. Is chorus worth
> the extra money over ultegra? how does centar stack up? I am mainly concerned with performance
> after ten or twenty thousand miles. weight is not a concern.
>
> thanks for your time. peace
>
> kevin
>
> [email protected]

k-coleman-<< I am leaning toward getting an ultegra group becuase that is my price range, but have
recently had some people singing the praises of Campy. Is chorus worth the extra money over ultegra?

No-look at Centaur, great value and less than ultegra..

<< I am mainly concerned with performance after ten or twenty thousand miles. weight is not
a concern.

Then ya want campagnolo certainly(no toasted, unrepairable levers) and function, reliability,
maintainability between Chorus and Centaur is the same....

Hold it!!!!

A group is a set. Next, I anticipate a "groupsetassembly" or maybe a "componentgroupsetassembly".
The British are coming the British are coming. For them everything is a set.

(Kevin) wrote:

>I going to buy a new road bike, and am looking for some opinions about components

Here's another vote for the Campy stuff, from someone who got tired of replacing Shimano STI stuff
that couldn't be overhauled, maintained, or in any sense repaired beyond squirting WD40 into it.

I've had the Chorus group on my Habanero for about 10 months, and couldn't be happier. It's freedom
from the Shimano Yoke of Tyranny.

Art

<[email protected]> wrote:
>A group is a set. Next, I anticipate a "groupsetassembly" or maybe a "componentgroupsetassembly".
>The British are coming the British are coming. For them everything is a set.

No sets, please, we're British!

I second Boyd's suggestion. I really was doubtful that it would work, but I like Shimano economics
and prefer Campy shifting, so, I tried
it. I'm using 105 front and Ultegra rear derailers, and Centaur levers.

I simply can't believe how well it shifts--using Hubbub's method, the only thing that tells me I
don't have a completely integrated system is the extra "click" (which I haven't yet gotten to
locking out).

So now I can run Campy9v or Shimano 9v wheels...and who knows? Maybe it'll only be a small change to
get it to work with 10v when Shimano brings that out!

Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Kevin) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > I'm not sure if this is the right group for this question. if not, please redirect me!
> >
> > I going to buy a new road bike, and am looking for some opinions about components. my bike gets
> > about 5000 miles a year commutting in chicago, plus some longer rides, but the major wear and
> > tear is from the city streets and lights. I am leaning toward getting an ultegra group becuase
> > that is my price range, but have recently had some people singing the praises of Campy. Is
> > chorus worth the extra money over ultegra? how does centar stack up? I am mainly concerned with
> > performance after ten or twenty thousand miles. weight is not a concern.
> >
> > thanks for your time. peace
> >
> > kevin
> >
> > [email protected]
>
> Why not use both?
>
> http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm
>
> and
>
> http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/3755.0.html
>
> Scroll down section Mix and Match.

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> k-coleman-<< I am leaning toward getting an ultegra group becuase that is my price range, but have
> recently had some people singing the praises of Campy. Is chorus worth the extra money over
> ultegra?

I just read this from today's Velonews.com's tech column from L. Zinn. This part was cut & Pasted
from an offical Campagnolo response. Hope this helps you with your decision. I no longer wonder why
they don't make MTB stuff.

Campy weight limits? Dear Lennard, I was just wondering if the 75kg weight limit posted on the
Campagnolo Web site means all their components are designed for someone under 75kg? --Cindy

Answer from Campagnolo:

Dear Cindy, First of all, the indicated weight in our instruction sheets is 82 kg/ 180 lbs. There is
no clear dividing line defining when someone is "too heavy" for Campagnolo products. Many factors
need to be considered.

Campagnolo products were designed for "racing" type bicycles used on smooth asphalt roads or tracks.
Any other use of Campagnolo products is improper.

Magnified stresses and loads caused by a "heavy" rider, coupled with forces from an uneven road
surface, greatly shorten the lifespan of Campagnolo products, especially if your bicycle is equipped
with tires, wheels, or stiff frames that are poor at absorbing shocks and vibrations.

The weight of the rider, type of bike and the style and conditions of use are all critical factors
affecting the lifespan of your product.

Technical knowledge, experience, common sense, and prudence are required. If you weigh 80 kg or
more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected regularly for any evidence of
cracks, deformation, or other signs of fatigue or stress. Check with your mechanic to discuss
whether the components you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of
inspections. --Joseba Arizaga Campagnolo Italy

Richard Chan <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just read this from today's Velonews.com's tech column from L. Zinn. This part was cut & Pasted
> from an offical Campagnolo response.

> Answer from Campagnolo:

> Dear Cindy,

> Campagnolo products were designed for "racing" type bicycles used on smooth asphalt roads or
> tracks. Any other use of Campagnolo products is improper.

So racers can't use Campag in Paris-Roubaix?

Art Harris

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. Your input is greatly appriciated.

peace

kevin

"Arthur Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Kevin) wrote:

> >I going to buy a new road bike, and am looking for some opinions about components
>
> Here's another vote for the Campy stuff, from someone who got tired of replacing Shimano STI stuff
> that couldn't be overhauled, maintained, or in
any
> sense repaired beyond squirting WD40 into it.
>
> I've had the Chorus group on my Habanero for about 10 months, and couldn't
be
> happier. It's freedom from the Shimano Yoke of Tyranny.
>
> Art

10 whole months, huh? Well that's certainly time to see if a component gruppo is going to wear out!
Let's not count our chickens before they're hatched...

I do, however agree that NOT riding Shimano is a good thing. That's why I had bikes set up with
Sachs Ergo when it was available. I got suckered in to the S fold when I had to upgrade my Sachs,
too many wheels to upgrade to go Campy...

Mike