Grow your own meat

alsandor wrote:
> Today on CBC, Jason Matheny, a researcher at the University of
> Maryland, reported that the technology exists to grow meat on the
> kitchen counter (as it were).
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2006/03/27/lab-meat-200602.html
>
> No fear of avian flu, mad cow disease, anthrax...no need to raise
> animals living in atrocious conditions.

No tube steaks tonight. We're having test tube steaks!

;-)

Rusty

"alsandor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Today on CBC, Jason Matheny, a researcher at the University of
> Maryland, reported that the technology exists to grow meat on the
> kitchen counter (as it were).
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2006/03/27/lab-meat-200602.html
>
> No fear of avian flu, mad cow disease, anthrax...no need to raise
> animals living in atrocious conditions.

Can't see the article. The URL results in "We are Experiencing
Technical Difficulties".

So is the article maybe talking about shrooms and using MSG to fool your
tongue? While the average kitchen (or, probably more likely, basement)
has the means of growing fungi, I don't see the average or even above
average home chef having the cloning equipment needed to clone meat
cells (which, according to a Wired Magazine article, has had a 98%
failure rate).

Have any links to other copies of the article other than at the
unresponsive server for the link you first provided? You didn't give
the article's title or the news service through which it was released
(if applicable).

Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

"Vanguard" <[email protected]> wrote in news:e09q9c$7hc$1
@news3.infoave.net:

> Can't see the article. The URL results in "We are Experiencing
> Technical Difficulties".

I get the same thing. Try again later. It worked when I tested it.

This is growing muscle meat from cells in a rich soupy substance. They
have made ground beef and ground chicken to date. Solid meat, such a
chicken breast, has not been achieved yet.

It actually *is* meat, just didn't have to kill an animal to get it.

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Today on CBC, Jason Matheny, a researcher at the University of
> Maryland, reported that the technology exists to grow meat on the
> kitchen counter (as it were).
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2006/03/27/lab-meat-200602.html
>
> No fear of avian flu, mad cow disease, anthrax...no need to raise
> animals living in atrocious conditions.

Saw this and commented on it in several places. We're one or two steps
from replicators. I can't wait to walk up to a machine and proudly say
"Bass Ale, cold" and be delivered a fresh mug of the stuff. Or ask for a
nice "Rice pie" and get the Italian version.

What you neglected to mention from the article is that the scientists
have been approached by those who want their own meat grown. By that I
mean The Other White Meat.

Had a discussion about that with the SO. He has the typical human
cultural taboo against eating human flesh. Maybe it's because I like the
term "meat puppet".