GRR eat Bike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stratrider

I have ridden and I believe! The GRR is light, quick, responsive, fast, and also expensive! Still I
love it! The ability to accelerate on this bike is incredible! And I don't know why! Other than the
$3k, what is the down side of this bike? Is there a lighter, faster, and equally comfortable bike on
the market today?

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

"stratrider" skrev...
> I have ridden and I believe! The GRR is light, quick, responsive, fast, and also expensive! Still
> I love it! The ability to accelerate on this bike is incredible! And I don't know why! Other than
> the $3k, what is the down side of this bike? Is there a lighter, faster, and equally comfortable
> bike on the market today?

The Calfee Stiletto mayhap?

M.

Jim Reilly asked:

> Is there a lighter, faster, and equally comfortable bike on the market today?

Carbon M5 low racer?

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

Good one stratrider. You hooked a couple of them right off. There are a lot more in the lake so
be patient.

skip

"stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have ridden and I believe! The GRR is light, quick, responsive, fast, and also expensive! Still
> I love it! The ability to accelerate on this bike is incredible! And I don't know why! Other than
> the $3k, what is the down side of this bike? Is there a lighter, faster, and equally comfortable
>
> Jim Reilly Reading, PA

"skip" skrev ...
> Good one stratrider. You hooked a couple of them right off. There are a lot more in the lake so be
> patient.

*scratch* At least we don't drive no steenkin' imperialist RANS bike ;o)

M

"Paul Southworth" skrev

> >At 24.25 lbs my Velokraft doesn't have too much of a weight disadvantage
>
> That is over 6-pound weight disadvantage compared to a US$995 off-the-shelf road bike. Compared to
> a US$2000 lightweight DF it is closer to a 7- or 8-pound penalty. Lightness is good, but I accept
> that recumbents are just going to be a bit heavier. My lightest road bike is not so light anyway.
> I am more worried about handling than weight.

Its light for a recumbent. I could shave more off by not running the monofork with a drumbrakehub,
but its nice to have that stopping power. As for handling its only quirk is tire/foot interference
in tight slow speed turns. Once your body learns the new reflexes its a piece of cake. I havent
raced down mountains on it so I can't comment on that but it absorbs bumps fairly well. If you're
rich you can fit Pantour hubs I guess but that would mean running the chain along the wheel or
buying another fork than the two Velokraft sells.

> >and theres no chaininterference either so its not hard to learn to ride. Cost me a little under
> >2000 usd kitted out with a mix of Ultegra, 105 and Deore XT etc.
> >http://community.webshots.com/user/mseierup
>
> That actually seems not terribly expensive for what it is. Where do they sell them?

Well, theres the snag if you are in the US or Canada. They are polish and thus the Atlantic
curse kicks in.

Theres a testsite at http://velus.w.interia.pl/vel_eng.htm but it doesn't list prices and the frame
shown is a custom job for a very short person. I'm 6 foot 3 or 190 cm.

Some more pics of parts here http://www.jjscozzi.com/

Latest prices I've heard:

The price schedule for the parts purchased from Velokraft are: Carbon Racer frame with chainidler
- 850 euros Carbon seat for VK Racer (S, M, L size) 100euros Stiletto carbon monofork - 150 euros
Freeline carbon offset fork - 150 euros Carbon tiller with integrated alu handlebar for VK Racer
- 90 euros

Thats prolly before shipping and stuff. Mail Kamil if you got questions. His email is on that
testsite and he speaks/writes excellent english.

Regards Mikael

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "stratrider" skrev...
> > I have ridden and I believe! The GRR is light, quick, responsive, fast, and also expensive!
> > Still I love it! The ability to accelerate on this bike is incredible! And I don't know why!
> > Other than the $3k, what is the down side of this bike? Is there a lighter, faster, and equally
> > comfortable bike on the market today?
>
> The Calfee Stiletto mayhap?
>
> M.

I wonder where Joshua is? I would have thought he would be all over this by now.

[email protected] (stratrider) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> Jim Reilly Reading, PA

The $3k is a really, really big downside though. Some folks on this newsgroup have worked their way
up to the GRR Ti Rush which Hostel Shoppe now sells for $5,200. So you can see that you have a ways
to go to catch up with what is possible.

I do think the Easy Racer's line of Tour Easy bikes are starting to look a bit dated with all that
tubing running every which way. I have always like the monotube design for a recumbent as it just
looks better, but it all boils down to a matter of taste I guess. Robert Bryant, the editor of RCN,
has always been a very strong advocate of the Tour Easy design and for good reason. It is hard to
beat and has been around long enough to get all the bugs out of it. I have a home made clone and
ride it more than all my other recumbents combined. Why? Because it is fast and handles well. It is
not the most comfy recumbent even with the Cool Back seat but it is close enough.

I have often thought that I might get a GRR to replace my beloved clone. I would get it in the
polished aluminum version with the Cool Back seat and the fairing of course. But I am put off by the
price. Everytime I reach for my check book to write out the numbers my hand begans to shake and I
just can't do it. Someone on this newsgroup is going to suggest that I sell some of my other
recumbents in order to get a GRR, but I can't do that either. I have grown too attached to all of
them even though I don't ride them that much anymore.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Ed, I agree completely about the $$$$$. I find myself struggling with the price tag now just two
days after my test ride. And I haven't even approached the subject with my wife! And yes, $3k will
be a real hard sell. Particularly when she says that it looks just like my 99 Stratus. How do I
justify a $3000 go fast on Saturdays bike! Good question.....

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

How do I justify a $3000 go fast on Saturdays bike! Good
> question.....

You probably need to insure the Stratus and then ride carelessly until you get it run over...

"stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Ed, I agree completely about the $$$$$. I find myself struggling with the price tag now just two
> days after my test ride. And I haven't even approached the subject with my wife! And yes, $3k will
> be a real hard sell. Particularly when she says that it looks just like my 99 Stratus. How do I
> justify a $3000 go fast on Saturdays bike! Good question.....
>
Here's the deal. Sell the Stratus. Buy a used GRR. You're not talking about $3000.00 now. Skip
lunches to get the money if you need to. Your wife apparently has a hard time telling the difference
between the Status and GRR so she probably wouldn't be interested in the details of the transaction
and she may never even take notice of the GRR. I'm experienced in these matters so you can trust my
advice. ;-)

skip

[email protected] (stratrider) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ed, I agree completely about the $$$$$. I find myself struggling with the price tag now just two
> days after my test ride. And I haven't even approached the subject with my wife! And yes, $3k will
> be a real hard sell. Particularly when she says that it looks just like my 99 Stratus. How do I
> justify a $3000 go fast on Saturdays bike! Good question.....
>
> Jim Reilly Reading, PA

Jim, tell her that you don't drink, gamble, buy expensive cars or chase other women. If you can do
that without crossing your fingers then it's an easy sell.

Besides, you only live once.

Mike

Skip, that's what I call real creativity! Clearly you are experienced in this area!

Jim

[email protected] (Mike) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (stratrider) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Ed, I agree completely about the $$$$$. I find myself struggling with the price tag now just two
> > days after my test ride. And I haven't even approached the subject with my wife! And yes, $3k
> > will be a real hard sell. Particularly when she says that it looks just like my 99 Stratus. How
> > do I justify a $3000 go fast on Saturdays bike! Good question.....
> >
> > Jim Reilly Reading, PA
>
> Jim, tell her that you don't drink, gamble, buy expensive cars or chase other women. If you can do
> that without crossing your fingers then it's an easy sell.
>
> Besides, you only live once.

I concur....buy the bike you REALLY like ...in the end it is a good expenditure as to the cheaper
ones that you ride less. Look at the cost on a per mile basis.

Pat Mc
>
> Mike

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The $3k is a really, really big downside though. Some folks on this newsgroup have worked their
> way up to the GRR Ti Rush which Hostel Shoppe now sells for $5,200. So you can see that you have a
> ways to go to catch up with what is possible. I have often thought that I might get a GRR to
> replace my beloved clone. I would get it in the polished aluminum version with the Cool Back seat
> and the fairing of course. But I am put off by the price. Everytime I reach for my check book to
> write out the numbers my hand begans to shake and I just can't do it. Someone on this newsgroup is
> going to suggest that I sell some of my other recumbents in order to get a GRR, but I can't do
> that either. I have grown too attached to all of them even though I don't ride them that much
> anymore.

You only live once.........................!

"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > The Calfee Stiletto mayhap?
> >
> > M.
>
> I wonder where Joshua is? I would have thought he would be all over this by now.

The last I heard, a couple days ago, he was heading out to cut some wood. Considering his luck with
mechanical items, it has me worried.

"Michael Perry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > The Calfee Stiletto mayhap?
> > >
> > > M.
> >
> > I wonder where Joshua is? I would have thought he would be all over
this by
> > now.
>
> The last I heard, a couple days ago, he was heading out to cut some wood. Considering his luck
> with mechanical items, it has me worried.

Joshua alone in the forest with a chain saw? I share your concern.

"Michael Perry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > The Calfee Stiletto mayhap?
> > >
> > > M.
> >
> > I wonder where Joshua is? I would have thought he would be all over
this by
> > now.
>
> The last I heard, a couple days ago, he was heading out to cut some wood. Considering his luck
> with mechanical items, it has me worried.

I think Joshua is trying to hide behind the Wile E. Coyote name now, and must, therefore, avoid
this topic.

No such luck When I changed ISP the name Salmagundi that I have used for a decade was taken over
by the Lesbian Action Committee of Toronto...mmmmm Lesbians and I had to come up with a new name
and well Wile E.Coyote was not being used by anyone and with that lawsuit against the ACME Rocket
Co. still before the courts I guess no one wanted to be connected to Wile E., everyone is so
bloody sympathetic to the Road Runner, personally that Beeeep Beeeeping is enuff to make me wanna
shove an ACME Rocket up his...hmmmm have to be careful here what I write lest I ******** any Road
Runner fans.

On my prowess with carpentry tools, I know my limitations (well I know them, but that doesn't stop
me trying to get it right with a Sabre saw). I had the lumber yard cut the 4 sides of the box for
the 650c wheel, then I screwed the 4 sides in place and sure enough one side was 28 inches and the
other was 29 inches...next came the hammer to kick out the wrong side.....forgetting I screwed the
side in and didn't use nails...whoops. In a few minutes Mr.Sabre saw and I take a whack at that
Oregon plywood for the side panels.

Funny and weird...my wife and I were saying...Gee, you what we need here is some Polystyrene to pack
into the wheel case and just then a bunch of white Polystyrene blew onto our balcony......hmmm? I
looked up to the heavens and yelled...WHAT no Bubble Pad and 2 sheets of Bubble pad floated down and
I grabbed it. I then (seeing this) as a gift from the Big Guy ( looked towards the heavens and
yelled)....I could use a new Optima Baron too. Nothing else fell from the sky....maybe I should have
asked for a bent made in America instead....because as we all know the BIG GUY only loves America.
----------------------------------------------

"Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:R%[email protected]...
> "Michael Perry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > > The Calfee Stiletto mayhap?
> > > >
> > > > M.
> > >
> > > I wonder where Joshua is? I would have thought he would be all over
> this by
> > > now.
> >
> > The last I heard, a couple days ago, he was heading out to cut some wood. Considering his luck
> > with mechanical items, it has me worried.
>
> I think Joshua is trying to hide behind the Wile E. Coyote name now, and must, therefore, avoid
> this topic.

Quoth "Wile E.Coyote" <[email protected]>: ...
| Nothing else fell from the sky....maybe I should have asked for a bent made in America
| instead....because as we all know the BIG GUY only loves America.

That's because America is home to a lot of big guys these days. Lot of them on recumbents, too.

Donn

Status
Not open for further replies.