Grr...polar HRM straps

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by dtmeister, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    Anyone have the same trouble I have with these? The stitching on the
    elastic strap of my T61 transmitter comes undone. Had this happen on
    the original T61 that came with my 720i, and I replaced the elastic
    strap. That had mostly come undone, however I bought a new T61 last
    week as the old one's battery was on the way out. That was a bit
    disappointing as it only had around 1000 hours of use instead of the
    2500 they advertise. Anyway, the new one is undoing too!

    --
    ..dt

    Tags:

  2. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I haven't had that problem with the transmitter straps on mine. Sounds like a visit to the local shoe repairer is in order. They should be able to run some heavy duty stitching across the strap. I'd repair it rather than replace it.

    Jon the shoe repair man downstairs in Trinity Arcade in Perth has repaired things like the transmitter strap for me in the past.

    SteveA

  3. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    dtmeister wrote:
    > Anyone have the same trouble I have with these? The stitching on the
    > elastic strap of my T61 transmitter comes undone. Had this happen on
    > the original T61 that came with my 720i, and I replaced the elastic
    > strap. That had mostly come undone, however I bought a new T61 last
    > week as the old one's battery was on the way out. That was a bit
    > disappointing as it only had around 1000 hours of use instead of the
    > 2500 they advertise. Anyway, the new one is undoing too!

    Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
    ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
    somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

  4. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:

    > dtmeister wrote:
    >> Anyone have the same trouble I have with these? The stitching on the
    >> elastic strap of my T61 transmitter comes undone. Had this happen on
    >> the original T61 that came with my 720i, and I replaced the elastic
    >> strap. That had mostly come undone, however I bought a new T61 last
    >> week as the old one's battery was on the way out. That was a bit
    >> disappointing as it only had around 1000 hours of use instead of the
    >> 2500 they advertise. Anyway, the new one is undoing too!

    > Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
    > ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
    > somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

    Hmm, it could be that. I take it off just before getting in the shower,
    then scrunch up the elastic to wash it out. Then dry the strap on a
    towel. Although I would have thought that scrunching it up should be
    okay. Never put it into the machine.

    --
    ..dt

  5. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    SteveA <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Jon the shoe repair man downstairs in Trinity Arcade in Perth has
    > repaired things like the transmitter strap for me in the past.

    Ta, might try that.

    --
    ..dt

  6. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been using it for about 5 years.

  7. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    SuzieB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bleve Wrote:
    >>
    >> Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
    >> ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
    >> somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

    > Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
    > smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
    > using it for about 5 years.

    Ahh! So I've fallen into their trap. Manual says to wash and dry the
    whole thing after use. Haven't got much to lose from just washing the
    plastic part (I still think it makes sense to keep the electrode part
    clean and dry for storage) and forget the elastic strap.

    --
    ..dt

  8. DeF

    DeF Guest

    dtmeister wrote:
    > SuzieB <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Bleve Wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
    >>> ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
    >>> somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

    >> Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
    >> smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
    >> using it for about 5 years.

    > Ahh! So I've fallen into their trap. Manual says to wash and dry the
    > whole thing after use. Haven't got much to lose from just washing the
    > plastic part (I still think it makes sense to keep the electrode part
    > clean and dry for storage) and forget the elastic strap.

    I can't remember reading the instructions but I just wear
    mine into the shower and take it off there. I give the
    strap and the electrode a good rinse and throw them into
    the sink. Sometimes I squeeze the elastic in a towel before
    storage.

    Sweat has quite a bit of uric acid in it. This will attack
    some textiles, particularly cotton in my experience. I've
    sweated my way through several tee-shirts this way.

    On that delightful image, goodbye!

    DeF.

    --
    e-mail: [email protected] finger.murdoch.edu.au
    To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

  9. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Just a helpful hint when using the washing machine for your elastic HRM band - use a delicates bag. If you don't know what a delicates bag is, then ask your missus or your mum. :)

    Ritch

  10. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Me too...I've never washed mine...just a wipe with a towel if I remember...doesn't stink...

  11. SuzieB wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    >>
    >> Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
    >> ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
    >> somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

    > Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
    > smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
    > using it for about 5 years.

    I don't use the elastic at all - I just shove the transmitter under my
    sports bra. But then, for half the population this isn't an option. Unless

    Karen

    --
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
    - Slartibartfast

  12. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Karen Gallagher wrote:
    > SuzieB wrote:
    >
    >>Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
    >>smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
    >>using it for about 5 years.

    > I don't use the elastic at all - I just shove the transmitter under my
    > sports bra. But then, for half the population this isn't an option. Unless

    .....MAN BOOBS!
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  13. Friday

    Friday Guest

    SuzieB wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    >

    >>Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
    >>ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
    >>somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

    > Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
    > smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
    > using it for about 5 years.

    I thought exactly the same thing. Don't they work better if they're left
    salty from sweat?

  14. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Friday wrote:

    > I thought exactly the same thing. Don't they work better if they're left
    > salty from sweat?

    Not in my experience. The grooves in the transmitter fill up with sweat
    and other gunk (yeuch) and over time I found transmitted weaker signals.
    A good thorough clean got the transmission back to normal so now I just
    give it a quick wash in soapy water (but like many others don't wash the
    elastic strap, as the more it gets washed the less elastic it is).

    DaveB