Grr...polar HRM straps

dtmeister

Guest
Anyone have the same trouble I have with these? The stitching on the
elastic strap of my T61 transmitter comes undone. Had this happen on
the original T61 that came with my 720i, and I replaced the elastic
strap. That had mostly come undone, however I bought a new T61 last
week as the old one's battery was on the way out. That was a bit
disappointing as it only had around 1000 hours of use instead of the
2500 they advertise. Anyway, the new one is undoing too!

--
..dt

dtmeister said:
Anyone have the same trouble I have with these? The stitching on the
elastic strap of my T61 transmitter comes undone. Had this happen on
the original T61 that came with my 720i, and I replaced the elastic
strap. That had mostly come undone, however I bought a new T61 last
week as the old one's battery was on the way out. That was a bit
disappointing as it only had around 1000 hours of use instead of the
2500 they advertise. Anyway, the new one is undoing too!

--
..dt
I haven't had that problem with the transmitter straps on mine. Sounds like a visit to the local shoe repairer is in order. They should be able to run some heavy duty stitching across the strap. I'd repair it rather than replace it.

Jon the shoe repair man downstairs in Trinity Arcade in Perth has repaired things like the transmitter strap for me in the past.

SteveA

dtmeister wrote:
> Anyone have the same trouble I have with these? The stitching on the
> elastic strap of my T61 transmitter comes undone. Had this happen on
> the original T61 that came with my 720i, and I replaced the elastic
> strap. That had mostly come undone, however I bought a new T61 last
> week as the old one's battery was on the way out. That was a bit
> disappointing as it only had around 1000 hours of use instead of the
> 2500 they advertise. Anyway, the new one is undoing too!

Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:

> dtmeister wrote:
>> Anyone have the same trouble I have with these? The stitching on the
>> elastic strap of my T61 transmitter comes undone. Had this happen on
>> the original T61 that came with my 720i, and I replaced the elastic
>> strap. That had mostly come undone, however I bought a new T61 last
>> week as the old one's battery was on the way out. That was a bit
>> disappointing as it only had around 1000 hours of use instead of the
>> 2500 they advertise. Anyway, the new one is undoing too!

> Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
> ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
> somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

Hmm, it could be that. I take it off just before getting in the shower,
then scrunch up the elastic to wash it out. Then dry the strap on a
towel. Although I would have thought that scrunching it up should be
okay. Never put it into the machine.

--
..dt

SteveA <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jon the shoe repair man downstairs in Trinity Arcade in Perth has
> repaired things like the transmitter strap for me in the past.

Ta, might try that.

--
..dt

Bleve said:
Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.
Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been using it for about 5 years.

SuzieB <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bleve Wrote:
>>
>> Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
>> ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
>> somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

> Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
> smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
> using it for about 5 years.

Ahh! So I've fallen into their trap. Manual says to wash and dry the
whole thing after use. Haven't got much to lose from just washing the
plastic part (I still think it makes sense to keep the electrode part
clean and dry for storage) and forget the elastic strap.

--
..dt

dtmeister wrote:
> SuzieB <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bleve Wrote:
>>>
>>> Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
>>> ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
>>> somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

>> Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
>> smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
>> using it for about 5 years.

> Ahh! So I've fallen into their trap. Manual says to wash and dry the
> whole thing after use. Haven't got much to lose from just washing the
> plastic part (I still think it makes sense to keep the electrode part
> clean and dry for storage) and forget the elastic strap.

I can't remember reading the instructions but I just wear
mine into the shower and take it off there. I give the
strap and the electrode a good rinse and throw them into
the sink. Sometimes I squeeze the elastic in a towel before
storage.

Sweat has quite a bit of uric acid in it. This will attack
some textiles, particularly cotton in my experience. I've
sweated my way through several tee-shirts this way.

On that delightful image, goodbye!

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

dtmeister said:
SuzieB <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bleve Wrote:
>>
>> Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
>> ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
>> somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

> Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
> smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
> using it for about 5 years.

Ahh! So I've fallen into their trap. Manual says to wash and dry the
whole thing after use. Haven't got much to lose from just washing the
plastic part (I still think it makes sense to keep the electrode part
clean and dry for storage) and forget the elastic strap.

--
..dt

Just a helpful hint when using the washing machine for your elastic HRM band - use a delicates bag. If you don't know what a delicates bag is, then ask your missus or your mum. :)

Ritch

SuzieB said:
Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been using it for about 5 years.

Me too...I've never washed mine...just a wipe with a towel if I remember...doesn't stink...

SuzieB wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>>
>> Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
>> ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
>> somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

> Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
> smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
> using it for about 5 years.

I don't use the elastic at all - I just shove the transmitter under my
sports bra. But then, for half the population this isn't an option. Unless

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Karen Gallagher wrote:
> SuzieB wrote:
>
>>Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
>>smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
>>using it for about 5 years.

> I don't use the elastic at all - I just shove the transmitter under my
> sports bra. But then, for half the population this isn't an option. Unless

.....MAN BOOBS!
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

SuzieB wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>

>>Never seen this problem myself. How are you washing the strap? I only
>>ever hand-wash mine in the shower, and I have my original strap
>>somewhere - the elastic's shot but it hasn't fallen to bits.

> Oh dear, are you meant to wash the straps? I never have and it doesn't
> smell and is in reasonable condition (no fraying, etc) and I have been
> using it for about 5 years.

I thought exactly the same thing. Don't they work better if they're left
salty from sweat?

Friday wrote:

> I thought exactly the same thing. Don't they work better if they're left
> salty from sweat?

Not in my experience. The grooves in the transmitter fill up with sweat
and other gunk (yeuch) and over time I found transmitted weaker signals.
A good thorough clean got the transmission back to normal so now I just
give it a quick wash in soapy water (but like many others don't wash the
elastic strap, as the more it gets washed the less elastic it is).

DaveB