Grrr...

• Thread starter Wafflycathcsdir
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:51:25 +0100, "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Danny Colyer wrote:
>> During a stop on the way back we saw an obese woman taking a rest before continuing her ride
>> along the cyclepath.
>
>>
>> Where once I might just have thought "What a lardbucket", instead I thought of you and then
>> thought "Good for her."
>
>You have no idea of how womens minds work, have you Danny?

Women? Mind? Nope. Sorry.

As I read in the marvellous DM recently: If a man talks in a silent forest when there is no woman
around to listen to him, is he still wrong?

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Dscf0632.jpg

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:41:08 +0100, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Where once I might just have thought "What a lardbucket", instead I thought of you and then thought
>"Good for her."

There was a very fat woman who used the same gym I used to use. Some of the lycra snobs refused to
acknowledge her presence, but others of us made a point of asking her how it was going every now and
then and being encouraging and friendly.

There is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repenteth, after all
:)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

> Cheers, helen s (who has lost 15.65lbs in four weeks)

Congrats on your weight loss, Helen - it's taken me six months of fairly serious gym + swim + eating
good stuff to lose that much.

...which made me wonder: an hour MTB-ing or an hour in the gym - which would burn the most fat? I
know it depends on the intensity of the exercise, but I wondered if you - or anyone else following
this thread
- have found one to be better than the other when it comes to losing weight.

I ask because my gym-ing and swimming has tailed off a bit recently, as I've started to get into
cycling. Certainly, an hour on the bike would be far more fun, but you don't get the same all-over
workout that you'd get at the gym.

All opinions gratefully received, as they say. Anyway, congrats once again and keep at it! I'm
really chuffed with my own progress even though it's been slower than yours. Three months ago, I
could barely walk on the day after a ten mile ride; this Saturday I did 54 miles (High Peak trail +
Manifold way), which is the most I've ever done, and my legs are fine. Mind you, I got off and
pushed once or twice on the High Peak trail - 35mph going down was fun, but when I saw that I was
managing a paltry 3-4mph going up, I decided to cut my losses :)

Cheers, Nick

"Nick Williamson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

snip

> I ask because my gym-ing and swimming has tailed off a bit recently,

Tedious -- isn't it?

> as I've started to get into cycling. Certainly, an hour on the bike would be far more fun,

So you will do it because you enjoy it.

> but you don't get the same all-over workout that you'd get at the gym.

Maybe not but you get an enjoyable work out. Personally, I always say I don't do execise -- its
boring -- but I love cycling for miles around the lanes or cross country. No boring, painful
excercise involved at all -- honest.

T

>...which made me wonder: an hour MTB-ing or an hour in the gym - which would burn the most fat?

I honestly havern't a clue, but I know which I prefer and which, as a result, I'll do more of - an
hour on my bike or an hour in the gym. No contest - it's an hour on the bike every time. As a
result, it's the cycling which is going to be successful :)

> Anyway, congrats once again and keep at it! I'm really chuffed with my own progress even though
> it's been slower than yours.

Thanks - yours is good too. Every one is different, remember, and my rate of loss will now
slow down.

>Three months ago, I could barely walk on the day after a ten mile ride; this Saturday I did 54
>miles (High Peak trail + Manifold way), which is the most I've ever done, and my legs are fine.
>Mind you, I got off and pushed once or twice on the High Peak trail - 35mph going down was fun, but
>when I saw that I was managing a paltry 3-4mph going up, I decided to cut my losses :)

That is *brilliant* it really is. Well done you!!!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

"Nick Williamson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> an hour MTB-ing or an hour in the gym - which would burn the most fat?

My money is on the gym, but which is more fun? (rhetorical).

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

In message <[email protected]>, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
<[email protected]> writes
>I get weighed and yes, I have lost some more weight - BUT point of story, every time I go to the
>docs I cycle there. Have talked with staff there about cycling. The staff there have asked me about
>my cycling in the past on a sort of "Still enjoying it? I see you biked again." sort of way -
>absolutely fine. Is it on my notes that I do indeed take regular exercise??? Errr... no. Good
>grief! So when I see a different nurse - one who hasn't seen me before, she makes assumptions -
>incorrect ones. The *tone* of her voice spoke volumes :-( Can't let those preconceived ideas about
>fat people be put to one side, can we. After all, we fatties are slobs who never exercise as we
>have no self-control.... AAAAAGGGHHH!!!

Sad really, fit people are so rare in modern society that we quacks often have no idea how to handle
them. For this nurse, you need to develop a Hard Stare. The sort that I use when I'm hearing the
same old story all over again... blob sitting in my office like a big girl's blouse, saying "I'm on
my feet all day and I don't eat a thing, doctor, so there must be something wrong." (I haven't
actually replied with the diagnosis of "self-deluded greedy layabout". Not yet. Not out loud.) The
Stare conveys, not disgust, but that I'm calculating how many hours of roasting they'll take before
the crackling goes really crisp and the screaming stops. The Stare takes practice. I get lots of
practice. More seriously, it's useful to remind myself that it's possible to be fit and fa... er,
charmingly rounded.

(hasty change of subject)

Have you tried looking for a doctor who cycles? There are a few around. Possibly not within
convenient cycling distance of Windling Puddlestop or Much Whining or Whipping-in-the-Marsh or
wherever it is you live. I know one in Maidstone if that helps.

--
Richard Keatinge

http://www.keatinge.net

>Sad really, fit people are so rare in modern society that we quacks often have no idea how to
>handle them.

This time - on return visit to get weighed, I had the same nurse and this time, as I turned up in
full Lycra Lout kit, she was less fazed. I got a "Oh, I see you are taking this cycling thing
seriously then!" Perhaps the fake tan on the legs lulled her into thinking I am out on my bike every
waking minute ;-) But then I got a lecture about how being slimmer will make me fitter when I'm old.

As for The Stare, being a mother, I have The Stare off to a fine art. I can burn holes into a skull
from 100 yards with The Stare. It's possibly the one thing I can be grateful to my own mother for -
teaching me The Stare.

>seriously, it's useful to remind myself that it's possible to be fit and fa... er,
>charmingly rounded.

Fat - it's the word you were looking for ;-)

>Have you tried looking for a doctor who cycles?

Hahahhaahahahhahahahahaaa! Sorry, forgive the hysterical laughter, please :)

>Possibly not within convenient cycling distance of Windling Puddlestop or Much Whining or
>Whipping-in-the-Marsh or wherever it is you live.

Indeed.

>I know one in Maidstone if that helps.

Perhaps when I get the mileages and average speeds up to a respectable figure so the commute would
be just a mere jaunt.

Cheers, helen s (fatbirdonabike on her slow way to being slightlypodgybirdonabike)

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Penny must be edykated coz e writed:

> "Richard Keatinge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> http://www.keatinge.net
>
> He probably cycles too slowly to get his heart rate up to a decent level. I always cycle to the
> doctors. I also brush my teeth really well before I go to the dentist. But Richard, why torture us
> with all that winsome piffle on your website? PG
>
>
I think his website is pretty good, his sons poetry is fun, Penny, I bet you sit all the way through
**** stuff on TV , then complain, instead of switching channels or doing something else.

Ian

"Penny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > http://www.keatinge.net

> But Richard, why torture us with all that winsome piffle on your website?

Hmmm. Starting to look like a sock-puppet yanking the chains of the regulars.

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> BTW, Richard, the links at the bottom of the "Pedal" page -
> http://www.keatinge.demon.co.uk/pedal.htm - are borken...

I'd always wondered what that language was called. Borken. Right.

http://www.google.com/intl/xx-bork/

--
Guy
===

Status
Not open for further replies.