Grrr...

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
In the quest to get from fatbirdonabike to slightlypodgybirdonabike, I go to the doc's once a
fortnight to get weighed by the nurse - all as agreed with the doc.

This morning I set off late, so really pushed myself to get there. As a result, when I got there,
I was on time, but a tad red-faced and out of breath. A good aerobic workout! Oh, and there is me
in full cyclist kit - including Look shoes, & fluroescent yellow jacket etc., etc.. sort of a
giveaway really.

The nurse called me into her office ..

"What are you here for?"

Me - "To get weighed, fortnightly, as agreed with the doc."

Nurse - " You look out of breath. Do you often get out of breath?"

Me - "Only when I set off late to get here and have to cycle bits over 20mph to get here on time
(smiling)."

Nurse - "Is this new, then, this cycling? Do you get out of breath often?"

Me - "No, I cycle regularly and if I push it hard I get out of breath. Other than that no."

Nurse - "How far have you cycled?"

Me, "Oh, only from Wendling, so it's not far in distance, but I did push it hard this morning."

Nurse - "You came that far! That's a long way!"

Me - "well, not exactly." (it's about 6 miles to the docs) "Last week I did 120 miles, so here &
back isn't far."

Nurse - "You shouldn't overdo it. Do you get out of breath often?"

Me - "No - only if I push myself really hard ..."

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!

I get weighed and yes, I have lost some more weight - BUT point of story, every time I go to the
docs I cycle there. Have talked with staff there about cycling. The staff there have asked me about
my cycling in the past on a sort of "Still enjoying it? I see you biked again." sort of way -
absolutely fine. Is it on my notes that I do indeed take regular exercise??? Errr... no. Good grief!
So when I see a different nurse - one who hasn't seen me before, she makes assumptions - incorrect
ones. The *tone* of her voice spoke volumes :-( Can't let those preconceived ideas about fat people
be put to one side, can we. After all, we fatties are slobs who never exercise as we have no
self-control.... AAAAAGGGHHH!!!

Cheers, helen s (who has lost 15.65lbs in four weeks)

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 09:03:04 +0000, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter did issue forth:

> In the quest to get from fatbirdonabike to slightlypodgybirdonabike, I go to the doc's once a
> fortnight to get weighed by the nurse - all as agreed with the doc.

<snip rant>

Reminds me (vaguely) of last time I went to the opticians. For some reason, cycling is actually
listed on my notes. Don't know what difference this makes, but I'm not that concerned about it
anyway. The reception area is upstairs, as are most of their little rooms, but they've got one room
downstairs.

Optician bloke walks up, asks me to follow him, downstairs - clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk.
Without looking he said to me "Are those cycling shoes, then?"

Huw "I think my doctor hates me, though" Pritchard

In message <[email protected]>, Huw Pritchard
<[email protected]> writes
>Reminds me (vaguely) of last time I went to the opticians. For some reason, cycling is
>actually listed on my notes. Don't know what difference this makes, but I'm not that concerned
>about it anyway.

Maybe it's just because he needs a guide to what to talk to you about. Or perhaps cyclists tend to
have more eye problems? I got a fly in my eye cycling around a German reservoir once which led to a
very nasty case of conjunctivitis. The optician I went to (a keen cyclist himself judging from the
huge pile of cycling magazines in the waiting room) gave me a good lecture on the importance of
wearing eye protection.

Oh no, now there'll be all sorts of people calling for legislation to make protective eyewear
compulsory on bikes. ;-)
--
Michael MacClancy

> In the quest to get from fatbirdonabike to slightlypodgybirdonabike, I go
> the doc's once a fortnight to get weighed by the nurse - all as agreed
with the
> doc.

Don't worry, they plan to solve it by not letting you see a doctor until you are within weight
norms. Save all that fortnightly rush!

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

> In the quest to get from fatbirdonabike to slightlypodgybirdonabike, I go
> the doc's once a fortnight to get weighed by the nurse - all as agreed
with the
> doc.

details snipped

> (who has lost 15.65lbs in four weeks)

Well done.

My quack wanted me to have a 'health check' when I signed on with him. This proved fairly
comprehensive -- including an ecg as I run high BP.

Much to my surprise the nurse then put me on an excursive bike/dynamometer to test my 'fitness'. Now
despite my telling her earlier that I cycled regularly she was very confused by the results -- 'you
can't be that fit' and checked the machine over to find the fault. ('That fit' required a level of
excursion equivalent to about 12 mph on a flat road -- i.e. sustainable for hours!!)

On my follow up with the quack he dismissed the results as clearly incorrect.

So they have me down as an unfit, fat slob with raised BP but nothing odd on the ecg trace :(

Keep on cycling.

> "Do you get out of breath often?" [repeat ad nauseam]

Every now and then I get a cold or whatever and it threatens to settle on my chest. I'm asthmatic,
y'know, and have a history of bronchitis which has led on at leats one occasion to paramedics and
such so I tend to be wary. On one such occasion, feeling rather seedy, I presnted at the local
temple of health.

My doc is a runner, recently completed the Reading half-marathon in a respectable time. He asked me
to blow in the little plastic thing for measuring lung capacity, and it came up a shade over 700. I
suggested this was a bit low, as I can usually manage 750 or more. He suggested that since he can't
get 700 out of it even when he's perfectly well it probably wasn't an issue at that point :)

--
Guy
===

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Oh no, now there'll be all sorts of people calling for legislation to make protective eyewear
> compulsory on bikes. ;-)

Where would you put compulsory eyewear on the bike?

Bill

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Oh no, now there'll be all sorts of people calling for legislation to make protective eyewear
> compulsory on bikes. ;-)

**** -- will I have to take my glasses off to wear the protective stuff -- if so I won't be able to
see where I am going.

>Well done.

Thanks :)

>On my follow up with the quack he dismissed the results as clearly incorrect.
>
>So they have me down as an unfit, fat slob with raised BP but nothing odd on the ecg trace :(

A case for the PSF if ever there was one!

>Keep on cycling.

You too.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

>Don't worry, they plan to solve it by not letting you see a doctor until you are within weight
>norms. Save all that fortnightly rush!

:)

I actually enjoyed the rush this morning - as the weather was cool and the breeze not too bad - so
perfect cycling weather really!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
> The nurse called me into her office ..

My experience of this was a nurse I met in a hospital after I'd broken my arm in a bizarre accident
involving a unicycle, a pair of toeclips and a multistory car park. She had a form to fill in to
classify my accident for the statistics. She just could not cope with the idea that I'd managed to
break my arm in a situation where there was no other traffic involved (which probably says a few
things about what she normally has to put on these forms). She also could not understand the concept
of a unicycle - presumably no box for it on the form, and she'd never been to a circus.

> AAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!

I managed that expression several weeks later when they took the plaster off and the break had not
healed up.

> After all, we fatties are slobs who never exercise as we have no self-control.... AAAAAGGGHHH!!!

(Ooh, me arm) Challenge her to a bike race, I say.

> Cheers, helen s (who has lost 15.65lbs in four weeks)

Now thats impressive! Well done. Surely the doctor must be impressed?

Jim Price (Fatblokeonabike)

That is a pretty incredible reading for an asthmatic! I have asthma too, and the doctor is usually
quite happy with my reading of 400 - 450. Only gets a little concerned if it drops to 350. You must
be very fit! Jo "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > "Do you get out of breath often?" [repeat ad nauseam]
>
> Every now and then I get a cold or whatever and it threatens to settle on
my
> chest. I'm asthmatic, y'know, and have a history of bronchitis which has led on at leats one
> occasion to paramedics and such so I tend to be wary. On one such occasion, feeling rather seedy,
> I presnted at the local temple of health.
>
> My doc is a runner, recently completed the Reading half-marathon in a respectable time. He asked
> me to blow in the little plastic thing for measuring lung capacity, and it came up a shade over
> 700. I suggested
this
> was a bit low, as I can usually manage 750 or more. He suggested that
since
> he can't get 700 out of it even when he's perfectly well it probably
wasn't
> an issue at that point :)
>
> --
> Guy
> ===
> I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
> about it perhaps you could think when we talk
of

Michael MacClancy wrote:

> Oh no, now there'll be all sorts of people calling for legislation to make protective eyewear
> compulsory on bikes. ;-)

Well opticians could do with the income from what a friend tells me .... ;-)

>My experience of this was a nurse I met in a hospital after I'd broken my arm in a bizarre accident
>involving a unicycle, a pair of toeclips and a multistory car park. She had a form to fill in to
>classify my accident for the statistics.

LOL!!! Oh dear, I can picture the scene and the look on the nurse's face. There's a comedy sketch
show in that one!!!

>I managed that expression several weeks later when they took the plaster off and the break had not
>healed up.

OOOOUUCH!!

>Now thats impressive! Well done. Surely the doctor must be impressed?

Actually the silly cow told me off for losing too much too soon. She just didn't understand that on
the first couple of weeks of a diet to lose weight it's *normal* to lose more than a couple of
pounds a week. Now I am losing a couple of pounds a week, and that's how it should continue at
current calorie intake/activity level, but she couldn't get her head around it. Silly cow ;-) And
these are the people in charge of our health!!!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
> (who has lost 15.65lbs in four weeks)

Congrats. How achieved apart from the cycling?

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> "Do you get out of breath often?" [repeat ad nauseam]
>
> Every now and then I get a cold or whatever and it threatens to settle on my chest. I'm asthmatic,
> y'know, and have a history of bronchitis which has led on at leats one occasion to paramedics and
> such so I tend to be wary. On one such occasion, feeling rather seedy, I presnted at the local
> temple of health.
>
> My doc is a runner, recently completed the Reading half-marathon in a respectable time. He asked
> me to blow in the little plastic thing for measuring lung capacity, and it came up a shade over
> 700. I suggested this was a bit low, as I can usually manage 750 or more. He suggested that since
> he can't get 700 out of it even when he's perfectly well it probably wasn't an issue at that
> point :)

I used to train early morning and unknown to me (had never heard of it before) I got exercise
induced asthma. Sounds worse than it is, but basically the cold air in winter causes some wheezing.
When I was given the blowy thing I would blow it off the scale (750+ ?) even when wheezy. I think
all these metrics are relative. I was quite fit at that time and I'm getting there slowly again.

Helen, well done for the weight loss. Your experience seems to confirm my view, namely that the NHS
has little to offer people who fundamentally are fit. I run, cycle, play tennis, and a few months
ago could not walk due to a mysterious pain in my shin. Doctor had no clue, and eventually sent me
for an X-ray after exhausting all possible doses and combinations of anti-inflammatories. I caused
some consternation when I arrived at X-ray on my bike, as cycling was the only way to get around (I
couldn't walk easily, nor operate a car clutch). Besides, by them my leg was well on the way to
fixing itself.

(Incidentally, why does it take 10 days for the X-ray to get from the hospital to the GP's surgery,
which is 1 mile away? I offered to drop it in on my way home).

Eventually my physio suggested trapped nerves in the lower back, so I went back to GP for a
referral. My logic was that a few hours of physio a year would save me bothering the GP with various
ailments, thus leaving him time to deal with the really ill. The bottom line is that he can refer
me, but I pay, as the NHS doesn't fund physiotherapy, chiropractors etc. Great service!

They have these great new blood-pressure machines which sound an alarm if the pulse is below 40.
Mine often is. Looks of consternation all round, solicitous enquries about my health, much
scratching of heads and lack of understanding how I can still be in this World. Gives me complete
faith in the profession.

Stay well, everyone.

Peter

"Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:I%[email protected]...

[snip 700+ on the puff-meter]

> That is a pretty incredible reading for an asthmatic! I have asthma too,
and
> the doctor is usually quite happy with my reading of 400 - 450. Only gets
> little concerned if it drops to 350. You must be very fit!

According to our asthma nurse she has about a dozen patients who can manage that, and all of us are
what she describes as "athletes." Me, I'm just a nearly-40-year-old bloke who rides a bike, but I
don't mind being counted among the elite if that's what she wants to do :)

--
Guy
===

"Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I used to train early morning and unknown to me (had never heard of it before) I got exercise
> induced asthma. Sounds worse than it is, but basically the cold air in winter causes some
> wheezing. When I was given
the
> blowy thing I would blow it off the scale (750+ ?) even when wheezy. I think all these metrics are
> relative. I was quite fit at that time and
I'm
> getting there slowly again.

Yes, I get both sorts of asthma - exercise induced and allergic. Oh, and virus-induced. And
stress-induced. I'm a wreck :)

I find that two squirts of Salbutamol prior to a ride works a treat.

--
Guy
===

> In the quest to get from fatbirdonabike to slightlypodgybirdonabike, I go
> the doc's once a fortnight to get weighed by the nurse - all as agreed
with the
> doc.
>
> This morning I set off late, so really pushed myself to get there. As a
result,
> when I got there, I was on time, but a tad red-faced and out of breath. A
good
> aerobic workout! Oh, and there is me in full cyclist kit - including Look shoes, & fluroescent
> yellow jacket etc., etc.. sort of a giveaway really.

Seriously though, do you often get out of breath? ;)

Congrats in order though :)