Grrrr. Girlfriends and babies.

MichaelB

Feb 10, 2004
Sorry but I must rant. Is it just me or are people who have just got themselves a new loved one the most selfish people in the world? We all know how a new mum will hold up a queue of traffic in her big 4x4 so she can deliver the kids to school in what she assumes is perfect safety but equally annoying is the way somebody acts when they start going out with someone.

I had one friend who was always a reasonable bloke until he met his ho. Then all of a sudden I had to do him favours so he could see and impress his bird which were never reciprocated because he was too busy having a good time. Obviously the time came when I was sick of being used and asked him kindly to stop ringing me.

More recently I have a business partner who keeps leaving me to do all the work because he has to keep going to see his crazy girlfriend in London to keep her happy. More annoyingly he owes me a fortune because he keeps buying her jewelry... on my card! :eek:

You see, like the mums, these people can't begin to comprehend the thought that the whole world doesn't have the responsibility, let alone desire, to keep their loved ones happy. To them its like a united cause - something so important that everyone must surely want to help out but in reality nobody cares. In fact I'm thinking of breaking them up ;)

Is it just me or is that the way it is?

I used to think the same thing. Then I got a girlfriend, later got married.

I figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Love is blind ... and blinding.

Allow them their little period of emphatuation. Then when he starts moving back toward reality a bit, give him a nudge -- help him on his way.

And in the meantime, cancel the card!

MichaelB said:
Sorry but I must rant. Is it just me or are people who have just got themselves a new loved one the most selfish people in the world? We all know how a new mum will hold up a queue of traffic in her big 4x4 so she can deliver the kids to school in what she assumes is perfect safety but equally annoying is the way somebody acts when they start going out with someone.

I had one friend who was always a reasonable bloke until he met his ho. Then all of a sudden I had to do him favours so he could see and impress his bird which were never reciprocated because he was too busy having a good time. Obviously the time came when I was sick of being used and asked him kindly to stop ringing me.

More recently I have a business partner who keeps leaving me to do all the work because he has to keep going to see his crazy girlfriend in London to keep her happy. More annoyingly he owes me a fortune because he keeps buying her jewelry... on my card! :eek:

You see, like the mums, these people can't begin to comprehend the thought that the whole world doesn't have the responsibility, let alone desire, to keep their loved ones happy. To them its like a united cause - something so important that everyone must surely want to help out but in reality nobody cares. In fact I'm thinking of breaking them up ;)

Is it just me or is that the way it is?
Well you can only get used if you let people use you. If you keep letting these people take advantage of you, then you will get precisely what you deserve....take the credit card from the guy and only give it to him for business purposes. If he uses it for anything personal...get rid of him. Its easy to gripe about other people when you are not in their shoes. These things are all human nature, and oftentimes, not the best of it. We all have to deal with it.

I love it when people rant about these things and end their rants with something like "I don't care" or "noone cares," because you've already made it quite obvious that you do.

The realities of my life, my friend. In Italian we have a saying: "marriage, the death of cycling". :rolleyes:

Having said that, slap him around and take the credit card away from him.

But remember, you just have to deal with it... families and children do (hopefully) put our love of cycling into perspective. Quite frankly, although I love riding, I simply would not consider taking my little free time away from my family for a 5 hour weekend ride. My daughters are young only once... and I would rather they remember us spending time together and not me riding alone! :)

baj32161 said:
I love it when people rant about these things and end their rants with something like "I don't care" or "noone cares," because you've already made it quite obvious that you do.

Sorry but you got that wrong. I care that the guy keeps going to see his girlfriend and not doing his work. I dont care that he keeps her happy.

If you actually understood my thread instead of seeing what you wanted to read you would have noticed this. That reminds me, I love it when someone has a go at me and gets it all wrong so I can come back at them. (Your next post should start 'Touche. Sorry Michael.'

MichaelB said:

why in god's name would you give him your credit card.......let alone to buy something for his girlfriend??? I have never understood this in people. Lending your credit to someone is just about the stupidest thing you can do. If they could afford to buy it, don't you think they'd be using their own money? I hear about people opening up cell phone accounts on someone elses credit.....blows my mind.

also, if you are this guy's boss, and he is using a company card, FIRE HIM! If you are just a co-worker, then get your money back and stop giving your credit card to other people.

jfw834 said:
why in god's name would you give him your credit card.......let alone to buy something for his girlfriend??? I have never understood this in people. Lending your credit to someone is just about the stupidest thing you can do. If they could afford to buy it, don't you think they'd be using their own money? I hear about people opening up cell phone accounts on someone elses credit.....blows my mind.

also, if you are this guy's boss, and he is using a company card, FIRE HIM! If you are just a co-worker, then get your money back and stop giving your credit card to other people.
This sounds exactly like something Douglas Adams would say in one of his books!!!