Grudge Match Time: Recumbent vs DF

"fastrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message attbi.com...

> Cycling on a lowracer is all about extremely fast accelerations, pace and also passing
> fancyboys in team kits on the roads and laughing about it when they become nothing more than
> specs in the mirror.

I've seen those contraptions that you geeks pedal around on and there's no way you types
acelerate anything.

The mirror thing alone gives it away, mirrors are the joke of the pack, riders like me would
never-ever ride with that on.

Sorry, but you just plain suck when it comes to looking like a real cyclist.

"fastrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message .attbi.com...
>> I get really ticked at fancyboys in team kits like Fab that do not get
> out of my way when I want to pass them at 35+

Yea, so does every hick hillbilly in a pickup truck out here, I'm I suppose to care?

In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry, but you just plain suck when it comes to looking like a real cyclist.

I know that is what you say to yourself every time you look at yourself in store windows Fab. My
suggestion is to get a T-shirt and perhaps you'll at least look better. But then there is that awful
looking thing you ride called a DF.

Fastrider

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "fastrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message .attbi.com...
> >> I get really ticked at fancyboys in team kits like Fab that do not get
> > out of my way when I want to pass them at 35+
>
> Yea, so does every hick hillbilly in a pickup truck out here, I'm I suppose to care?

Fab, Ever see the movie Deliverance. Every time that movie is on TV I picture you as the hillbilly
who has the crush on Ned Beaty. After all you do shave your legs, are intimate with you fancyboy
cycling pals, you always check out your reflection in windows and you live up in the mountains.

Come to think of it I'll have to stay far away from your kind on the roads.

Fastrider

"fastrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
> Ever see the movie Deliverance. Every time that movie is on TV I picture you as the hillbilly who
> has the crush on Ned Beaty. After all you do shave your legs, are intimate with you fancyboy
> cycling pals, you always check out your reflection in windows and you live up in the mountains.

In reality think of the movie Top Gun.

That's us, we are the elite on the road and that's just were it's at nowadays.

When you ride with guys like us you'll see guys just like Mav, Viper, Voodoo, Mustang, Ghostrider,
and Merlin from that movie.

Two lines from Top Gun that fits you is: "Son your ego is writing checks your body can't cash" and "
The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room"

NOTE: I'm not joking about this, I am dead serious.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "fastrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
> > Ever see the movie Deliverance. Every time that movie is on TV I picture you as the hillbilly
> > who has the crush on Ned Beaty. After all you do shave your legs, are intimate with you fancyboy
> > cycling pals, you always check out your reflection in windows and you live up in the mountains.
>
> In reality think of the movie Top Gun.
>
> That's us, we are the elite on the road and that's just were it's at nowadays.
>
> When you ride with guys like us you'll see guys just like Mav, Viper, Voodoo, Mustang, Ghostrider,
> and Merlin from that movie.
>
> Two lines from Top Gun that fits you is: "Son your ego is writing checks your body can't cash" and
> " The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room"
>
> NOTE: I'm not joking about this, I am dead serious.

Top gun is actually an old dated movie like the frame you ride. Fast & Furious is a movie that
describes my approach to cycling. Top guns eventually get jammed and backfire which is what will
happen to you every time I ring my Incredibell when I pass you Fabio. You'll explode out of total
frustration.

Stay up in those backwood mountains Fabio. Don't come down to the roads as you will not be able to
handle the Fast & Furious bent racer pace.

NOTE: I'm joking about this, as you are the best joke around Fabio and your posts are providing a
very entertaining evening for us all.

Fastrider

Fastrider,

As Dirty Harry succinctly stated "A man has got to know his limitations!"

Fabby Blabby are you listening?

Ed

Seth Jayson wrote:

> Out of the hundreds of riders I've met, I've only met ONE who rode a 'bent for a while, then went
> back to his DF for good. (He bought that God-awful Trek and tried to take it up hills with no
> training...)

... and on the other hand, of the people I know who tried bents, more than half gave them up!

My one elderly friend who now rides only a bent (and only on paved bike trails) bought his used from
someone else who gave it up.

Perhaps it's differences in terrain? It's fairly hilly around here, especially to the
south and east.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

fastrider wrote:
> ... If you want to race in the so called "Iowa mountains" I suggest you make a real light ti thing
> in your hobby shop and come out and race at the 6 hr. this Sept. You will need to ride no less
> than 152 miles in 6 hours to surpass the current record. No drafting. Just ride it on your own. Be
> aware that you will not get those excessive speeds you are accustomed to on your long easy AZ
> descents rides. So you will actually have to train to do the Iowa event.

People go to Iowa without getting paid for it?

"Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> As Dirty Harry succinctly stated "A man has got to know his limitations!"
>
> Fabby Blabby are you listening?

You better not be thinking 'limitations' when you're jamming on a team Saeco Cannondale CAAD
frame in the 53x11 or setting down a bird like an F-14 onto the flight deck of the USS
Enterprise at 2 a.m.

But then, I guess you haven't been there and done that, have you. You need the right stuff for that
kind action.

Count me in on the more than half that is giving up on the bent. I have a Bachetta Strada that I
won't be riding any more. I live in a hilly area and can't keep up with my riding buddies when I'm
on the bent (and, that was never an issue when I was on the DF). I rode it exclusively for 5 months,
thinking that I needed to develop my "bent muscles". I've been keeping records of every ride I've
done for years and can prove that the bent is about 10-20% slower overall than the DF for the same
rides. On some of the less hilly rides, I've been able to average about 5% slower on the bent. That
equates to about 5-30 minutes slower on a 3 hour ride depending on how hilly it is.

gene

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Seth Jayson wrote:
> >
> > Out of the hundreds of riders I've met, I've only met ONE who rode a 'bent for a while, then
> > went back to his DF for good. (He bought that God-awful Trek and tried to take it up hills with
> > no training...)
>
> ... and on the other hand, of the people I know who tried bents, more than half gave them up!
>
> My one elderly friend who now rides only a bent (and only on paved bike trails) bought his used
> from someone else who gave it up.
>
> Perhaps it's differences in terrain? It's fairly hilly around here, especially to the south
> and east.
>
> --
> Frank Krygowski [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, "Eugene Cottrell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Count me in on the more than half that is giving up on the bent. I have a Bachetta Strada that I
> won't be riding any more.

That usually happens when someone buys a slow touring bent and expects the same performance as a
lighter DF bike. They give up and claim that bents are slower and can't climb. You picked the wrong
bent model for climbing and riding with your roadie friends. Oh well.

Fastrider

fastrider <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Tell ya what - I do the AZ state hill climb championship every year - on a tandem no less (also
>> known for not climbing well). Why don't you come out and show me if I was wrong when I intimated
>> that DFs may be at an advantage when climbing "real hills". And hey, it's not all that steep,
>> only about 6,000 feet of climbing in 20 miles. Surely that's no worse than those "Iowa
>> mountains". Heh.
>
>"I do the AZ state hill climb championship every year". If you have never won the event Mark then
>you are just one of the losers at the event and a guy that got beat on the course by someone faster
>with stronger climbing ability.

C'mon out anyway. I've only done (and won) it twice. Not a lot of competition though - so why don't
you ride it on a 'bent tandem?

>Your event sounds like a typical morning ride on PACtour. Ride out of town, ride a fast pace up the
>mountains to 6500 ft. or more then spend a couple hours enjoying a fast long descent. Been there
>done it on a bent and its no big deal Mark.

Well then there's little reason to be scared of the event. See you there. Oh, and Mt. Graham is
something over 9000 feet, if that matters.

>If you want to race in the so called "Iowa mountains" I suggest you make a real light ti thing in
>your hobby shop and come out and race at the 6 hr. this Sept. You will need to ride no less than
>152 miles in 6 hours to surpass the current record. No drafting. Just ride it on your own. Be aware
>that you will not get those excessive speeds you are accustomed to on your long easy AZ descents
>rides. So you will actually have to train to do the Iowa event.

Hey, if a scrawny old fart like me needs to shatter the course record to gain any credibility, you
must be really a great climber (better maybe than even Fabrizio). I'll tell the fellows to make sure
not to get in your way going up Mt. Graham. We'd hate to hold up one of those 20mph-up-8% grade
'bent riders ya' know.

Bwah hah hah hhaaaahhhh....

fastrider <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Yea, so does every hick hillbilly in a pickup truck out here, I'm I suppose to care?
>>
>Fab, Ever see the movie Deliverance. Every time that movie is on TV I picture you as the hillbilly
>who has the crush on Ned Beaty. After all you do shave your legs, are intimate with you fancyboy
>cycling pals, you always check out your reflection in windows and you live up in the mountains.

Well now let's think about this one for a minute.

One group of riders works hard to make their butt as hard as a rock.

The other likes to keep theirs nice and soft.

You do the math...

Mark Hickey wrote:

> Well now let's think about this one for a minute.
>
> One group of riders works hard to make their butt as hard as a rock.
>
> The other likes to keep theirs nice and soft.
>
> You do the math...

Cyclists on road bike saddles actually do not support their weight on their butts, while recumbent
riders support much of their weight on their butts. Anyone who has ridden a recumbent will realize
that it is quite a good workout for the muscles in the posterior region - more so than an upright
bike in my experience.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> C'mon out anyway. I've only done (and won) it twice. Not a lot of competition though - so why
> don't you ride it on a 'bent tandem?

Mark, I'd be wasting my time on a tandem or any other kind of DF. I know what works best and it is
not what you are riding.

Many congrats on the win as that is very respectable. I'm not joking about that.

Fastrider

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well then there's little reason to be scared of the event. See you there. Oh, and Mt. Graham is
> something over 9000 feet, if that matters.

There's a ride in Madison WI and the Bluemounds that has over 10,000 ft. of climbing. Are you
interested?

Fastrider

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well now let's think about this one for a minute.
>
> One group of riders works hard to make their butt as hard as a rock.
>
> The other likes to keep theirs nice and soft.
>
> You do the math...

Not sure why you are so interested in butts Mark. Might be lack of oxygen when you are climbing
at 9,000 ft.

Hard, soft, whatever. You definitley should go out on a date with Fabio.

Fastrider

Someone needs to explain something to me. About 15 years ago I started getting dropped off the back
of the pack of hammerheads that I tried to ride with. That was about the time I turned 40. I've been
bent for nearly four years now. I'm much older, yet I have to keep an eye on my rear view mirror to
see if the pack is still in sight.

My engine has more miles on it now but it is in better tune because of the recumbent. I don't think
your complaints are valid. Like Lance said, "It's not about the bike" My burst of speed came about a
year and a half ago when I started focusing on spinning techniques. If you ride a bent 5 months and
give up, it may be because you only ride on weekends and don't really train. How many miles in 5
months? I ride 400-500 miles a month. Hills? Every ride that finishes where it started is net zero
elevation change. I am slower climbing but I can more than make up for the hills on the flats and
downhills (if I can keep my a$$hole from puckering).

Maybe your problem is trying to stay with your DF buddies. Leave them behind when you can. Riding
hils on a bent takes different techniques than doing it on a DF.

In article <lJona.31816$cO3.2371402@bgtnsc04- news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
[email protected] says...
> Count me in on the more than half that is giving up on the bent. I have a Bachetta Strada that I
> won't be riding any more. I live in a hilly area and can't keep up with my riding buddies when I'm
> on the bent (and, that was never an issue when I was on the DF). I rode it exclusively for 5
> months, thinking that I needed to develop my "bent muscles". I've been keeping records of every
> ride I've done for years and can prove that the bent is about 10-20% slower overall than the DF
> for the same rides. On some of the less hilly rides, I've been able to average about 5% slower on
> the bent. That equates to about 5-30 minutes slower on a 3 hour ride depending on how hilly it is.
>
> gene
>
> "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Seth Jayson wrote:
> > >
> > > Out of the hundreds of riders I've met, I've only met ONE who rode a 'bent for a while, then
> > > went back to his DF for good. (He bought that God-awful Trek and tried to take it up hills
> > > with no training...)
> >
> > ... and on the other hand, of the people I know who tried bents, more than half gave them up!
> >
> > My one elderly friend who now rides only a bent (and only on paved bike trails) bought his used
> > from someone else who gave it up.
> >
> > Perhaps it's differences in terrain? It's fairly hilly around here, especially to the south
> > and east.
> >
> > --
> > Frank Krygowski [email protected]

- Bellaire, TX USA -

And Eugene,

I'd bet you have ridden for MORE THAN 5 months on the upwrong!

Equal time for fair comparison? Ever think of this?

Ed - only needed a little time to see better perfomance on a "race specific bent" - Gin