GT avalanche 2.0 disc for me, what for my son?

gt3413

Apr 28, 2006
I'm getting back into biking after probably a 15 yr. lay off. I've never done any super serious riding but had a schwinn sierra MOS bike in college and loved it. I will be riding mostly on dirt trails but nothing extremely hardcore right now. I went and rode a 2006 GT avalanche 2.0 disc yesterday and can get it for around $489. I like the fact that its got the shimano deore rear derailleur and the acera front derailleur. I'm not familiar at all with SRAM so I like seeing the shimano components. Is this a pretty sound bike for what I'll be doing? It felt good the short time I rode it.
I am also looking for a bike for my 9 year old son. He's pretty easy to please and won't know a huffy from a haro. But, he wants RED! I found a new in the box, 2005 GT avalanche 2.0 on ebay for $298. It retailed for $450. In the $300 price range I can also get him a schwinn mesa at the shop where I'm buying mine. The avalanche seems to be a better bike but I'm not sure about putting it together myself. Would a LBS put it together for me for a fee (how much)? If so, would you go with the GT vs. the schwinn?
Keep in mind that we'll basically be doing trail riding with a small amount of off road riding. Thanks in advance for the input. Greg

Ok, gentlemen and ladies, give me your thoughts. I see a lot of you are looking just no one is posting. My choices are limited to schwinn, specialized, GT and KHS due to LBS's that stock and service these models. I chose the GT's because they seem to give the highest quality components for the most reasonable amount of cash. Do you all feel I am making wise decisions? I've shyed away from SRAM components just because I'm not familiar with them. Originally specialized rockhopper for me (standard model $520) was my choice and the hard rock for my son but I thought the GT components outweighed this for the money I'm going to spend. Any thoughts for mild to moderate offroad/trail riding? Thanks again, Greg

gt3413 said:
Ok, gentlemen and ladies, give me your thoughts. I see a lot of you are looking just no one is posting. My choices are limited to schwinn, specialized, GT and KHS due to LBS's that stock and service these models. I chose the GT's because they seem to give the highest quality components for the most reasonable amount of cash. Do you all feel I am making wise decisions? I've shyed away from SRAM components just because I'm not familiar with them. Originally specialized rockhopper for me (standard model $520) was my choice and the hard rock for my son but I thought the GT components outweighed this for the money I'm going to spend. Any thoughts for mild to moderate offroad/trail riding? Thanks again, Greg
I think a lot of folks are not responding as your questions are pretty focussed and your choices are largely based on your specific needs and attitudes toward cycling. It is really hard to comment on the wisdom of someone's choices. A wise choice for you may not be for me, if you take my meaning.

I would have no problem buying SRAM. They are building some pretty nice stuff which is easily a match for Shimano. My preference is for Deore, but I have had SRAM in the past and loved it.

As for your son, I would buy the best bike you can afford. This is the best time to inspire a love of the sport. Don't scrimp on his bike if you expect him to carry on a life long love affair with cycling. Also, down-market bikes will be literally pains in the butt on the trails for both of you. Many so-called Mountain Bikes are built for riders who will never venture out on a trail. They are heavy and run best on paved surfaces. Their limitations will soon become obvious and you will be either replacing or upgrading them before long. In my experience, fit, weight and componentry are everything. Light bikes with "bulletproof" components make for fun, exciting and pleasurable off road riding experiences.

BTW, most LBS will build your bike for a fee, but right now they are running flat out building the bikes their customers are buying. It is "busy time" for the shops and it could be several weeks before they get to bikes they did not sell.

Cheers

Charles

Thanks Charles, I purchased both bikes yesterday. I went with the avalanche 2.0 for my son because it had the deore derailleurs and it was the most bike componentry wise. I'll be more open to SRAM in the future. I was unfamiliar with it so went with what I knew best. Thanks for your input here and on the toe clips. Like you said, I purchased what I could with the money I had to spend. I got both bikes along with some accessories for a little over $1000. Not too bad I thought. Thanks again for the input, Greg

gt3413 said:
Thanks Charles, I purchased both bikes yesterday. I went with the avalanche 2.0 for my son because it had the deore derailleurs and it was the most bike componentry wise. I'll be more open to SRAM in the future. I was unfamiliar with it so went with what I knew best. Thanks for your input here and on the toe clips. Like you said, I purchased what I could with the money I had to spend. I got both bikes along with some accessories for a little over $1000. Not too bad I thought. Thanks again for the input, Greg
Greg,

I'm pleased for you. Deore is great. I just bought a Giant Iguana with a full Deore drivetrain and I love it. I also love the Hayes disk brakes. Happy trails.

Charles :p