GT Forum Handles - What's in a name?

Eagle of Toledo

Sep 7, 2005
Sorry if this may sound a little OT (bear with me) but I only ever visit this section of the forums so I'm interested in hearing from its regulars.

I just wanted to ask everyone about the meaning of their forum handles (if you're willing and it has any significance to you of course). Some are quite obvious, others less so, but it may enhance our understanding of "where we are coming from".

I'll begin with mine - Eagle of Toledo - being Spanish (from Asturias) I grew up knowing that this was the affectionate nickname they used to give to Federico Bahamontes, arguably one of the greatest climbers in road cycling history. He won the TDF in '59 and the KOM six times. Basically I chose this because he was everything I would like to be on the bike (ie. a good climber) but am not, unfortunately I have more of the fast-twitching muscle fibers in me, wish it was the other way around as I admire climbers more than sprinters.

PS: A little unverified anecdote from a old chap who used to see Bahamontes out training and aparently he used to do some of the climbs around Toledo with a very heavy military backpack on so when it came to raceday he would fly up them (some modern pros do similar, eg Simon Gerrans puts lead weights in his rims when he climbs the mountains around Jameison).

When you are a pro or semi-pro you get a pro deal from a bike shop. If you are not so good you have to rely on friends that work in the LBS to give you the "bro deal."

Eagle of Toledo said:
I just wanted to ask everyone about the meaning of their forum handles (if you're willing and it has any significance to you of course). Some are quite obvious, others less so, but it may enhance our understanding of "where we are coming from".
Mine is boring. Patch was my nickname growing up and I was born in 1970.

Bro Deal said:
Cranky needs this bumped.
Yeah....I thought his name was Alan Brody. If you switch the y for an e and flip the order you get BrodeAl. Or Bro Deal. I couldn't think of any other reason for such a bizarre name.

As did most people I imagine...I thought up mine in about 20 secs during joining.....which anyone can work out is a double entendre on feet pushing cranks. Now I find that people think I'm a cranky old man because of the imagery it creates.

I am really a cynical old man.:p

Eagle of Toledo said:
Sorry if this may sound a little OT (bear with me) but I only ever visit this section of the forums so I'm interested in hearing from its regulars.

I'll begin with mine - Eagle of Toledo - being Spanish (from Asturias) I grew up knowing that this was the affectionate nickname they used to give to Federico Bahamontes, arguably one of the greatest climbers in road cycling history. He won the TDF in '59 and the KOM six times. Basically I chose this because he was everything I would like to be on the bike (ie. a good climber) but am not, unfortunately I have more of the fast-twitching muscle fibers in me, wish it was the other way around as I admire climbers more than sprinters.

PS: A little unverified anecdote from a old chap who used to see Bahamontes out training and aparently he used to do some of the climbs around Toledo with a very heavy military backpack on so when it came to raceday he would fly up them (some modern pros do similar, eg Simon Gerrans puts lead weights in his rims when he climbs the mountains around Jameison).

for me Bahamontes is the greatest climber ever.
Superb climber.

I thought that it was because you were a teller of tall tales.
biggrin.gif

PS. Can we count on your support on Saturday evening?
smile.gif

limerickman said:
I'm a native of Dublin, but living in county limerick : hence the username.

Wolfix........
"Wolf" is just indication of my german background. "fix' is what I have rode for many years early in the spring, even after I gave up riding the track.
Of course , fixed riding seems to be the current fad in cycling. But that's good because it created a E-Bay market for all my old track stuff. [ and outragous prices]

Back in the early 80s the USCF enacted the hard shell helmet rule. In Florida there was series of road events not sanctioned by USCF and we were told by the USCF rep that if we were caught racing non-sanctioned events the USCF could seek retribution by banning us for a year.

He said this as he gleefully signed into the unsanctioned event under a pseudonym. So, for my pseudonym, I chose Helmut Roole as a protest against the hard shell helmet rule.

Sidenote: The hard shell rule was a big deal. The early hard shell helmets were pretty hellish. They easily weighed a pound or more, ventilated poorly and worse of all, they offered little protection. A lot of guys broke their noses in crashes because their helmet slid over their face on impact. I remember standing in protest at the Coconut Grove Crit for five minutes after the starter pistol went off in protest.

Gregers said:
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Count on my support? England V France ??

I don't support either side..............I don't oppose either side too.

To be honest, I think England will win.
Would I disappointed if England won?
No.
I think they've started to turn the corner, despite a recently poor 6N's record.
I am a Corry fan - I'm a Robinson fan - and I think Wilko is the ideal role model for youngsters to emulate.
I love watching Wilko play.
Gommersall had a fine match last week - much better player than Perry.

France ?
I think they played really well last week - but I reckon that England have the edge over them.

I just like word play. There is also a hint of self deprecation in the name which emblematic of my false sense of humility.

Thanks for reviving this one guys, I thought it was dead and buried.

I'm fascinated by how everyone arrives at their login names.

limerickman said:
for me Bahamontes is the greatest climber ever.
Superb climber.

Well I threw in "arguably" because I didn't want to sound too partisan.

However, no "arguments" from me on your comment. :)

Nothing to do with dope or whizz.
I actually can't stand feeling high, either just wanna puke and go green or just wanna sleep, no thanks.
Speed was good 'cept when it runs out and you crash.
Been clean for over 10 years anyhow.
Heard it as a lyric in a song and it kind of reflects who I am.
I'm skinny 6' and 154lb compared to my peers or the man in the street I look like a weed.
All I want is more and more speed.

{edit} humm wonder why Klodifan choose that name? :D

Gregers said:
biggrin.gif

smile.gif
Yep, he's full o' the blarney...;)

helmutRoole2 said:
Sidenote: The hard shell rule was a big deal. The early hard shell helmets were pretty hellish. They easily weighed a pound or more, ventilated poorly and worse of all, they offered little protection. A lot of guys broke their noses in crashes because their helmet slid over their face on impact. I remember standing in protest at the Coconut Grove Crit for five minutes after the starter pistol went off in protest.
It had nothing to do with your hangover....:D