would otherwise damage
it.Today, I was out on my old Raleigh Sun Solo and could
feel the GT85, last applied 2 short rides ago (although
over some months), failing to do its job at all
well...... So, it's back to good ol' 3-in-1 for me, as
long as it's still as good as it was twenty-bleh-odd
years ago....call me a failure regards looking after my
trusty steed but time will tell ;-) Dave.

On 2004-03-28 22:18:09 +0100, "\(t'other\) Dave" <[email protected]> said:

Interesting. I was doing a weekend ride over to south Wales
and back a while ago and I had a teflon-type lube on my
chain (the Finish Line one with a red cap). I got caught in
some rain and it completely disappeared, which made my
second day's riding really hard, until I was saved by a
hardware shop in Monmouth where I got some 3in1. It worked
fine. Since then, on the recommendation of my LBS mechanic,
I've switched to the FinishLine lube with the green lid (Cross-
Country?) which feels more hi-tech and caring than 3in1 but
also doesn't wash off like Teflon lubricants. I can
recommend it highly.

IAn
--
www.drianwalker.com

Remove the nice brown paste in my signature if you
want to reply!

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:18:09 +0100, "\(t'other\) Dave"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ok, I've spent the last 5 years using GT85 on my chain. A
>superfine teflon based lubricant that shows that I care
>for my bike and am a sensible and responsible 'uman bean
>(tm). As a yoof, a long, long time ago in a town far far
>away, I used to ride an old BSA Sportsman on a daily
>basis, for several years. I would clean the chain with an
>oily old rag and whack some 3-in-1 oil on. This would last
>for a good 3 or 4 years between applications and over a
>period of about 10 years I never changed, or had problems,
>with the chain, once. A protective coating of gunge would
>collect on the chain, stuck fast by the trusty 3-in-1.
>This would protect the chain from any passing debris that
>would otherwise damage
>it.Today, I was out on my old Raleigh Sun Solo and could
> feel the GT85, last applied 2 short rides ago (although
> over some months), failing to do its job at all
> well...... So, it's back to good ol' 3-in-1 for me, as
> long as it's still as good as it was twenty-bleh-odd
> years ago....call me a failure regards looking after my
> trusty steed but time will tell ;-) Dave.

Have you tried the motor bike chain lube that you have to
boil up before it melts?

Steve

"(t'other) Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Today, I was out on my old Raleigh Sun Solo and could feel
> the GT85, last applied 2 short rides ago (although over
> some months), failing to do its
job
> at all well......

I used to use engine oil on 1/4" chains, but I use wax on
the 8-speed and 9-speed chains on my current bikes. I apply
lube every week or two, or after a ride in horrible
weather, and it seems to last OK. And so do the chains.
Plus they get less manky than they do when I use oil-based
lubes (which is a plus on the 'bent in particular, but on
any bike used daily).

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

"\(t'other\) Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Today, I was out on my old Raleigh Sun Solo and could feel
> the GT85, last applied 2 short rides ago (although over
> some months), failing to do its job at all well...... So,
> it's back to good ol' 3-in-1 for me, as long as it's still
> as good as it was twenty-bleh-odd years ago....call me a
> failure regards looking after my trusty steed but time
> will tell ;-)

Neither. GT85 is great for cleaning your chain. It's also
great as a lubricant as long as you re-apply it about every
30 miles. 3 in 1 is a good lubricant but is not the best oil
to use as it leaves a gungey residue.

Your choice is basically between some kind of oil and one of
the newer generation of mainly wax based lubricants. Oil is
a better lubricant and in most cases is better at repelling
water. On the other hand it also gets dirty quicker. My own
current preferences are <checks over shoulder for 2lap>
chain saw oil for the commuting bike, and Finish Line
Krytech for the racing bike.

--
Dave...

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "\(t'other\) Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Today, I was out on my old Raleigh Sun Solo and could
> > feel the GT85,
last
> > applied 2 short rides ago (although over some months),
> > failing to do its
job
> > at all well...... So, it's back to good ol' 3-in-1 for
> > me, as long as it's still as good
as it
> > was twenty-bleh-odd years ago....call me a failure
> > regards looking after
my
> > trusty steed but time will tell ;-)
>
> Neither. GT85 is great for cleaning your chain. It's also
> great as a lubricant as long as you re-apply it about
> every 30 miles. 3 in 1 is a good lubricant but is not the
> best oil to use as it leaves a gungey residue.
>
> Your choice is basically between some kind of oil and one
> of the newer generation of mainly wax based lubricants.
> Oil is a better lubricant and in most cases is better at
> repelling water. On the other hand it also gets dirty
> quicker. My own current preferences are <checks over
> shoulder for 2lap> chain saw oil for the commuting bike,
> and Finish Line Krytech for the racing bike.
>
> --
> Dave...

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might go for the
suggestion of motorcycle oil as I no longer have a
motorcycle, but have got some oil. Can't think why I never
tried it before....then, when I go really really fast, it'll
be heat resistant too!! ;-) Dave.

in message <[email protected]>, (t'other)
Dave ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Ok, I've spent the last 5 years using GT85 on my chain.
> A superfine teflon based lubricant that shows that I
> care for my bike and am a sensible and responsible 'uman
> bean (tm).

Quickest way to wreck a chain known. Evaporates very quickly
leaving a sticky, non-lubricating residue.

Also pretty **** as chain lube, but not so bad as GT85.

> This would last for a good 3 or 4 years between
> applications and over a period of about 10 years I never
> changed, or had problems, with the chain, once. A
> protective coating of gunge would collect on the chain,
> stuck fast by the trusty 3-in-1. This would protect the
> chain from any passing debris that would otherwise
> damage it.

Not so. That gunge includes grit held to the chain by the
viscosity of the oil, and eating away at it at every
revolution.

Try Finish Line Cross Country. Designed for the job and does
it very well. Chainsaw oil is also very good (and quite a
bit cheaper).

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

to err is human, to lisp divine ;; attributed to Kim
Philby, oddly enough.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Quickest way to wreck a chain known. Evaporates very
> quickly leaving a sticky, non-lubricating residue.

So why doesn't that happen to any of mine, all of which are
supplied with GT85 and seem to last better than many others
I see about?

I put a lot on so it works into the recesses and then wipe
off all the excess so it doesn't glue on crud. Works fine
for me and my various bikes.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177