guacamole

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Xyz789, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Xyz789

    Xyz789 Guest

    I am looking for a recipe for the kind of chunky, extremely
    flavorful guacamole that you get in a good Tex-Mex
    resturant. Can anybody point me to one? Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Modom

    Modom Guest

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:31:13 GMT, "xyz789" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I am looking for a recipe for the kind of chunky, extremely
    >flavorful guacamole that you get in a good Tex-Mex
    >resturant. Can anybody point me to one? Thanks in advance.

    Not really a recipe, but...

    I usually just mush up ripe avocados using a fork till I get
    the desired texture. I add some lemon juice for flavor and
    to keep the avocados from turning black. How much? Maybe
    about half a lemon for two avocados. Maybe more or less.
    Taste as you go and decide. I also like to shake a little
    chili powder in my guac and add some tabasco. Some people
    put finely diced tomatoes in theirs, but I don't usually.
    Salt to taste. If your chili powder has salt in it, taste it
    before adding salt.

    modom

  3. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "xyz789" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking for a recipe for the kind of chunky,
    > extremely flavorful guacamole that you get in a good Tex-
    > Mex resturant. Can anybody point me
    > one? Thanks in advance.

    "Chunky" is just a matter of how much you want to mash up
    the avocados (or what you put INTO them once they're
    thoroughly mashed). My personal preference is for the
    avocado base to be really smooth, so I puree the suckers
    (making sure only to get nice ripe ones in the first place)
    in a food processor, then take THAT and add other
    ingredients that are as roughly-chopped as I like. My "must
    haves" in terms of ingredients to put into the pureed
    avocado include coarsely-chopped onions and finely-chopped
    garlic, plus lemon juice, kosher salt, and Tabasco to taste.
    On top of that, you can always add such things are cilantro,
    salsa or pico de gallo, chopped tomatoes, etc. - it's your
    call. In my experience, many restaurants take the relatively
    easy way out, and apparently just whip up their avocadoes
    and then dump in some salt and some chunky salsa.

    Bob M.

  4. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    xyz789 wrote:

    > I am looking for a recipe for the kind of chunky,
    > extremely flavorful guacamole that you get in a good Tex-
    > Mex resturant. Can anybody point me to one? Thanks in
    > advance.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Guacamole

    Recipe By : Rick Bayless, "Mexico, One Plate at a
    Time" Cookbook

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method --------
    ------------ -------------------------------- 1 jalapeno
    -- or 2 serranos
    1/2 medium white onion -- finely chopped 6 ounces
    tomatoes -- (1 med or 2 plum)
    2/4 cup coarse chopped cilantro 3 medium-large ripe
    avocados salt lime juice -- 1-2 Tablespoons

    Notes: -Fresh hot green chiles to taste (about 2 serranos or
    1 jalepeno, stemmed)
    - tomatoes-you want these ripe, though absolute red ripeness
    isn't as important here as it is, say, for chopped salsa

    Roast the chiles: lay the chiles in a small ungreased
    skillet set over medium heat. Turn them every minute or so
    till they have softened. 5-10 min. Mash them

    into a coarse puree, using mortar or finely chop them. Place
    in large bowl. Scoop the chopped onion into a strainer and
    rinse under cold water; shake off excess water and add to
    the bowl with the chiles. Chop the tomatoes into small

    bits (skin seeds and all is my preference). You should have
    a scant cup. Add to

    the bowl along with the cilantro. Avocados: To cut the
    avocado in half you have to negotiate the large egg sized
    pit in the middle. Make a cut down the length of 1 avocado
    straight through to the pit. Continue cutting all the way
    around the pit until you wind up where you started. twist
    the two halves in opposite directions and pull apart.
    Scoop the pit out (the hueso, or bone, in Spanish) with a
    spoon. Scoop out the avocado flesh from the skin and add
    to the bowl. Using an old fashioned potato masher or the
    back of a large spoon to mash the flesh into a coarse
    pulp, mixing in other ingredients as you go. Taste for
    seasoning and season with salt, usually a scant teaspoon,
    then add some of the lime juice and taste again. Continue
    seasoning with lime until it has enough zip for you. Cover
    with plastic wrap, placing it on direct surface and
    refrigerate until ready to serve

  5. Xyz789

    Xyz789 Guest

    Has anybody ever tried putting any kind of cheese in
    your guac?

    "xyz789" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking for a recipe for the kind of chunky,
    > extremely flavorful guacamole that you get in a good Tex-
    > Mex resturant. Can anybody point me
    > one? Thanks in advance.

  6. Elaine

    Elaine Guest

    And garlic - 1 to 2 cloves...........

    "modom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:31:13 GMT, "xyz789"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I am looking for a recipe for the kind of chunky,
    > >extremely flavorful guacamole that you get in a good
    > >Tex-Mex resturant. Can anybody point
    me to
    > >one? Thanks in advance.
    > >

    > Not really a recipe, but...
    >
    > I usually just mush up ripe avocados using a fork
    > till I get the desired texture. I add some lemon
    > juice for flavor and to keep the avocados from
    > turning black. How much? Maybe about half a lemon for
    > two avocados. Maybe more or less. Taste as you go and
    > decide. I also like to shake a little chili powder in
    > my guac and add some tabasco. Some people put finely
    > diced tomatoes in theirs, but I don't usually. Salt
    > to taste. If your chili powder has salt in it, taste
    > it before adding salt.
    >
    > modom

  7. Yeff

    Yeff Guest

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:20:56 GMT, xyz789 wrote:

    > Has anybody ever tried putting any kind of cheese in
    > your guac?

    Isn't that kind of a personal question to asking a
    stranger?...

    -Jeff B. yeff at erols dot com