Guards van??

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Caher, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Caher

    Caher New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Hi all,
    I’ve also been thinking of cycling part of the way to work. “Part” because I need to avoid a big motorway and 25 miles is a bit much in the beginning to take the detour. So I’ve thought about catching the morning train for some of it. However I’ve just noticed that the new trains (the ones that run between Reading and Maidenhead) have no guards van that means I’d have to stand between the doors. Does anyone know if it’s possible to do this – given its rush hour?
    I just don’t want to give cyclists a bad name on my first ride!
    Caher.

    Tags:

  2. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On 12 Jun 2003 22:30:22 +0950, Caher <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi all, I’ve also been thinking of cycling part of the way to work. “Part” because I need to avoid
    > a big motorway and 25 miles is a bit much in the beginning to take the detour. So I’ve thought
    > about catching the morning train for some of it. However I’ve just noticed that the new trains
    > (the ones that run between Reading and Maidenhead) have no guards van that means I’d have to stand
    > between the doors. Does anyone know if it’s possible to do this – given its rush hour? I just
    > don’t want to give cyclists a bad name on my first ride! Caher.

    I don't know the line but probably not allowed during rush hour (are the passengers packed like
    sardines or can you usually get a seat - if you can get a seat then bikes will probably be allowed)

    Two possible solutions spring to mind. 1. Get a folder (These are allowed even at peak times) or 2.
    Cycle to work one day and cycle home the next, using the train for the intervening "return" trip.

    Finally, have you considered putting the bike in/on the car and driving it part way?

    OK, so that's the possibilities.

    Regards,

    Tim.

    p.s. If you haven't done much cycling then 25 miles may be too far for a one way trip and I
    certainly woudn't recommend it as a commute unless you already know what a 25 mile ride really
    feels like.

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Caher wrote:

    > Hi all, I’ve also been thinking of cycling part of the way to work. “Part” because I need to avoid
    > a big motorway and 25 miles is a bit much in the beginning to take the detour. So I’ve thought
    > about catching the morning train for some of it. However I’ve just noticed that the new trains
    > (the ones that run between Reading and Maidenhead) have no guards van that means I’d have to stand
    > between the doors. Does anyone know if it’s possible to do this ? given its rush hour? I just
    > don’t want to give cyclists a bad name on my first ride! Caher.

    I assume you mean the Thames Trains services. I often take bikes on these from Reading to Hayes but
    not at peak times and usually at weekends. Yes, you simply put your bike into any door and lean it
    up in the vestibule. You do need to watch what side the platform is, as at stations as you may need
    to move your bike. Unfortunately there are peak time restrictions that sound as if they will affect
    you. Have a look at:

    http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html Quote: "However, on Mondays to Fridays, bicycles may not be
    carried on trains advertised to arrive at London Paddington between 07.45 and 09.45 or to depart
    Paddington between 16.30 and 18.30. This includes journeys that do not start or terminate at
    Paddington."

    It is that last sentence that may scupper you.

    An alternative is to obtain a folding bike - the superb Brompton would be ideal for you - as there
    are no restrictions, and also no problems regarding the opening doors.

    Only drawback are the people who will keep asking you to demonstrate the amazing 10-sec fold.

    John B

  4. Caher

    Caher New Member

    Joined: