Guesses on Armstrong unreported problems?

Shrek

Guest
For the 3rd time this week Armstrong made reference to unreported problems during an interview with
Frankie. Afterwards Phil and Paul were guessing it may be a hidden injury and the guess is a back
problem (from his fall in the Dauphine) because they noted the amount of out of the saddle climbing
he did during this tour. My guesses are

1) Death threats
2) Injury
3) Martial problems (although I am less certain of this because of the public reappearance of
Kristin this past week).

> 3) Martial problems (although I am less certain of this because of the
public
> reappearance of Kristin this past week).

I think it is this. I think they have been reconciled for about 1-2 months now but are taking it
slow and private. To keep her out of the media they made the joint decision to have her stay at
their home in Spain for most of the tour until today. She wrote a nice article about him in USAToday
yesterday and posted some answers about their situation on www.lancearmstrong.com in the last week
or so. I just imagine it was tough for Lance to focus in the 6 month lead up to the tour with the
turmoil in his family life and hopefully the implication is he has survived it all, kept his
marriage, and won his 5 tour.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2003-07-25-kristin-armstrong-on-lance _x.htm

I think it's almost certainly an injury -- likely to his back, as Paul Sherwen suggested today --
plus his marital stuff.

Shrek wrote:

> For the 3rd time this week Armstrong made reference to unreported problems during an interview
> with Frankie. Afterwards Phil and Paul were guessing it may be a hidden injury and the guess is a
> back problem (from his fall in the Dauphine) because they noted the amount of out of the saddle
> climbing he did during this tour. My guesses are
>
> 1) Death threats

Police should hold each overpass as the pel-O-ton goes through tomorrow. Things have been thrown in
recent Tours. Also a sniper could spot yellow there with a pistol.

Shrek <[email protected]> wrote:

> For the 3rd time this week Armstrong made reference to unreported problems during an interview
> with Frankie. Afterwards Phil and Paul were guessing it may be a hidden injury and the guess is a
> back problem (from his fall in the Dauphine) because they noted the amount of out of the saddle
> climbing he did during this tour. My guesses are
>
> 1) Death threats
> 2) Injury
> 3) Martial problems (although I am less certain of this because of the public reappearance of
> Kristin this past week).

4) Relapse...sure hope not.

Shrek wrote:
> For the 3rd time this week Armstrong made reference to unreported problems during an interview
> with Frankie. Afterwards Phil and Paul were guessing it may be a hidden injury and the guess is a
> back problem (from his fall in the Dauphine) because they noted the amount of out of the saddle
> climbing he did during this tour. My guesses are
>
> 1) Death threats
> 2) Injury
> 3) Martial problems (although I am less certain of this because of the public reappearance of
> Kristin this past week).

My guess is an internal illness that was worse than characterized. No, not cancer, just a bug. You
don't lose 10lbs through dehydration from "mere" exercise, not when you're pumping it back in
routinely. But perhaps it's a combination of things, like that "monkey bump" from the stage 1 crash
being worse than that.

I doubt 1 and 3.

"Shrek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> For the 3rd time this week Armstrong made reference to unreported problems during an interview
> with Frankie. Afterwards Phil and Paul were guessing
it may
> be a hidden injury and the guess is a back problem (from his fall in the Dauphine) because they
> noted the amount of out of the saddle climbing he
did
> during this tour. My guesses are
>
> 1) Death threats
> 2) Injury
> 3) Martial problems (although I am less certain of this because of the
public
> reappearance of Kristin this past week).

do with your time than to speculate on Lance's 'unreported problems'? Get a life, pal. It's over -
Lance wins again. Jeff

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> My guess is an internal illness that was worse than characterized. No, not cancer, just a bug. You
> don't lose 10lbs through dehydration from "mere" exercise, not when you're pumping it back in
> routinely.

Especially since he mentioned in the article on yahoo that he had diarrhea before the Prologue.
That combined with the remarkable fluid loss on the first time trial points to some type of
internal disorder.

I am confident in stating that, since I have absolutely no medical knowledge.

I know on a big climbing day in the Alps he was upset at his postal team for setting far to fast a
pace and wiping him out. He said after the stage "that will NEVER happen again" and was pretty
displeased.

"Shrek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> For the 3rd time this week Armstrong made reference to unreported problems during an interview
> with Frankie. Afterwards Phil and Paul were guessing
it may
> be a hidden injury and the guess is a back problem (from his fall in the Dauphine) because they
> noted the amount of out of the saddle climbing he
did
> during this tour. My guesses are
>
> 1) Death threats
> 2) Injury
> 3) Martial problems (although I am less certain of this because of the
public
> reappearance of Kristin this past week).

All of the problems are known. Put all of it in to the perspective of a man that has been through
everything he has and knows his career is winding down and it remains to be seen if he will go down
as the greatest cyclist of all time. I believe he wants to be the greatest of all time by some
metric, preferably with the most Tour wins. I think that he knew this Tour would be difficult
because his fitness was slightly below what is had been in the previous ears that he won. Carmichael
wrote an article about some of the issues he was having. They were all very subtle, but along the
lines of having a harder time recovering from his hard training, etc. I will look for the Carmichael
article and point to it.

> "Shrek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > For the 3rd time this week Armstrong made reference to unreported problems during an interview
> > with Frankie. Afterwards Phil and Paul were guessing
> it may
> > be a hidden injury and the guess is a back problem (from his fall in the Dauphine) because they
> > noted the amount of out of the saddle climbing he
> did
> > during this tour. My guesses are
> >
> > 1) Death threats
> > 2) Injury
> > 3) Martial problems (although I am less certain of this because of the
> public
> > reappearance of Kristin this past week).
>
> All of the problems are known. Put all of it in to the perspective of a man that has been through
> everything he has and knows his career is winding down and it remains to be seen if he will go
> down as the greatest cyclist of all time. I believe he wants to be the greatest of all time by
> some metric, preferably with the most Tour wins. I think that he knew this Tour would be difficult
> because his fitness was slightly below what is had been in the previous ears that he won.
> Carmichael wrote an article about some of the issues he was having. They were all very subtle, but
> along the lines of having a harder time recovering from his hard training, etc. I will look for
> the Carmichael article and point to it.

Interestingly, LA's form returned towards the end of the Tour. If his problem was difficulty
recovering from hard training and the rigours of the tour, I'd expect his form to start out well,
and then fade as the tour went along. Does that make sense? If so, I suspect this year's closer
result may be due as much to his illness before the tour, and perhaps a lower ability to go all out
in extreme heat. His healthy form may not have deteriorated much at all.

Rick

Lance may have had lots of problems from nagging injuries to sickness to falls in the tour. It appeared that he had a back problem. Nonetheless in the interview with Franky he reffered to problems that people didn;t know about. If those problems were a lower back injury or something he could have said it. He could have said ohh i had a lower back injury and that is why I stunk. In my view the situation with his wife was far more stressful then we know. Even if they were reconciled by the tour it must have affected Lance's training. Even though Johan said that Armstrong was more focused after their seperation, I doubt it. Furthermore, Lance and his wife reconciled. In order for them to reconcile Lance must have stopped training for some period. In my view Lance had a much more traumatic situation with his wife than we all know, but that he was not at liberty to talk about it. Cancer would also be possible. Obviously if he is relapsing then he wouldn;t want to bring it up in such a hasty manner. I really don;t want to speculate on that though.

He wouldn't race if there was a cancer relapse. He's too smart for that.

lazysegall <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Lance may have had lots of problems from nagging injuries to sickness to falls in the tour. It
> appeared that he had a back problem. Nonetheless in the interview with Franky he reffered to
> problems that people didn;t know about. If those problems were a lower back injury or something
> he could have said it. He could have said ohh i had a lower back injury and that is why I stunk.
> In my view the situation with his wife was far more stressful then we know. Even if they were
> reconciled by the tour it must have affected Lance's training. Even though Johan said that
> Armstrong was more focused after their seperation, I doubt it. Furthermore, Lance and his wife
> reconciled. In order for them to reconcile Lance must have stopped training for some period. In
> my view Lance had a much more traumatic situation with his wife than we all know, but that he
> was not at liberty to talk about it. Cancer would also be possible. Obviously if he is relapsing
> then he wouldn;t want to bring it up in such a hasty manner. I really don;t want to speculate on
> that though.

Originally posted by Shrek
For the 3rd time this week Armstrong made reference to unreported problems during an interview with
Frankie. Afterwards Phil and Paul were guessing it may be a hidden injury and the guess is a back
problem (from his fall in the Dauphine) because they noted the amount of out of the saddle climbing
he did during this tour. My guesses are

1) Death threats
2) Injury
3) Martial problems (although I am less certain of this because of the public reappearance of
Kristin this past week).

It does seem like it's something he doesn't want to talk about; yet he's discussed physical, emotional, and mechanical problems. Makes me think it's something more sinister like sabotage, threats, or security concerns. We may never find out.

I wasn't aware of any martial problems, but his marriage is in shambles.

Originally posted by Shrek
For the 3rd time this week Armstrong made reference to unreported problems during an interview with
Frankie. Afterwards Phil and Paul were guessing it may be a hidden injury and the guess is a back
problem (from his fall in the Dauphine) because they noted the amount of out of the saddle climbing
he did during this tour. My guesses are

1) Death threats
2) Injury
3) Martial problems (although I am less certain of this because of the public reappearance of
Kristin this past week).

To quote Kurgan (er Hank):

walk in after his divorce news has been released as if you are some enlightened individual. His
divorce has been common knowledge for a month now. Read the dates on the thread before replying, ok?

news:<[email protected]>...

On 2 Oct 2003 09:02:52 -0700, [email protected] (kaiser) wrote:

>To quote Kurgan (er Hank):
>

>walk in after his divorce news has been released as if you are some enlightened individual. His
>divorce has been common knowledge for a month now. Read the dates on the thread before
>replying, ok?

Wait till he finds out LANCE fell.

Lindsay
"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke