Guesses on Discovery for Giro?

musette

Aug 29, 2003
What do members think the DC team for the Giro will be?

Here are my current thoughts:

Salvodelli
Danielson
Padrnos
Barry
Joachim
Cruz
Jason McCartney (even though he's not been in great shape recently)
Bileka
van Heeswijk (if he can regain form)

Savoldelli and Danielson for sure. I think top guys won`t participate because they have to prepare for TdF.

But that begs the question as to who is a top guy whom I have included in the above list?

Interesting that, before Hoste broke his sternum, he was scheduled to support Salvodelli in the Giro.

Even though I believe Noval will make the TdF team, it's interesting that Salvodelli sure could use another climber and, if Noval makes the TdF team, it will have be a very close call by Bruyneel/LA. Noval was the marginal guy most vulnerable to being omitted from the TdF team to begin with, and he has not been that impressive so far in the season (not that he should be, given the timing of when he should have form).

The reason Salvodelli needs climbers is that Danielson is the only climber Salvodelli has, unless Noval joins. Jason M, even though he impressed Bruyneel in part because of his climbing at the T of Georgia to get on the team, has not shown himself to be particularly good so far. Even if Salvodelli had both Danielson and Jason M, that wouldn't be enough climbers really for the medium or higher climbs. :(

Savoldelli and Danielson for sure. I think top guys won`t participate because they have to prepare for TdF.
Deffinately. All the riders who are doing to Tour de France will be training with LA, they won't want their training to be disrupted by doing the Giro. Discovery won't win anything at the Giro, they're much more interested in the TdF.

musette said:
Even though I believe Noval will make the TdF team, it's interesting that Salvodelli sure could use another climber and, if Noval makes the TdF team, it will have be a very close call by Bruyneel/LA. Noval was the marginal guy most vulnerable to being omitted from the TdF team to begin with, and he has not been that impressive so far in the season (not that he should be, given the timing of when he should have form).

The reason Salvodelli needs climbers is that Danielson is the only climber Salvodelli has, unless Noval joins. Jason M, even though he impressed Bruyneel in part because of his climbing at the T of Georgia to get on the team, has not shown himself to be particularly good so far. Even if Salvodelli had both Danielson and Jason M, that wouldn't be enough climbers really for the medium or higher climbs. :(
Lance wasn`t impressive so far too!:)

There are few reasons why Savoldelli won`t have as good support as Lance will have:
1. Giro is a lot less important as Tour, especially for Discovery, they will participate just because ProT
2. Savoldelli is not as favourite on Giro as Lance on Tour

OK there are two most obvious:)

I think Popo wanted to participate after two top 5 finishes, but he must be very well paid to help Lance on TdF instead of fighting for Giro win!

musette said:
What do members think the DC team for the Giro will be?

Here are my current thoughts:

Salvodelli
Danielson
Padrnos
Barry
Joachim
Cruz
Jason McCartney (even though he's not been in great shape recently)
Bileka
van Heeswijk (if he can regain form)

Above was my guess. Below is actual:

Savoldelli
Danielson
Padrnos
Barry
Joachim
Cruz
Jason McCartney
Bileka
Hesjedal

Eight out of nine, and I had the caveat for van Heeswijk (the one I was wrong on) only being on if he regained his form, which he has apparently not done, following gum disease and motivational issues.

This increases Noval's chances of getting on the TdF team (as I had predicted), absent some sort of stupendous climbing showing by Stijn Devolder at the Dauphine Libere. :p Go, Benjamin! ;)

Both as I guess it and as Bruyneel has determined, the DC Giro squad lacks some climbing support for Salvodelli. Only Danielson and possibly McCartney could really assist Salvodelli in the higher mountains. This is a significant point because Salvodelli, while quite a good climber, was never among the very best climbers in the Giro. He will need a lot of climbing support. Danielson is key; and he looks to be working towards the appropriate form for the Giro. Still, this leaves me worried for Salvodelli's prospects for top spot.

I also suspect that Bruyneel will not be DS in the Giro. Sean and Lorenzo probably, or at most Sean and Dirk. That is not the best DS obviously on DC.

Virenque said:
Lance wasn`t impressive so far too!:)

There are few reasons why Savoldelli won`t have as good support as Lance will have:
1. Giro is a lot less important as Tour, especially for Discovery, they will participate just because ProT
2. Savoldelli is not as favourite on Giro as Lance on Tour

OK there are two most obvious:)

I think Popo wanted to participate after two top 5 finishes, but he must be very well paid to help Lance on TdF instead of fighting for Giro win!

On the contrary, that Lance is retiring after 2005 TdF is perfect timing for Popo to get tuned up for next year's TdF. He'll have a lot of very valuable experience in the TdF after this year, and he won't have to worry about being domestique to Lance next year. Furthermore, in 2006 the team will consider that he was domestique in 2005 TdF rather than a great rider in the Giro. Giro and TdF are too much different.

Good point though to mention that Popo might make a good run at the Giro this year. I admit I would have liked to see him make a play for it. :)

Popo agreed with Bruyneel's decision that Popo is better off preparing fully for the Tour and not being too tired after the Giro. This was documented in an interview conducted with Bruyneel. Popo really liked the Giro, but Bruyneel thought it would be better for Popo to see what it would be like preparing properly for the TdF.

Popo is seen as more than a domestique. Since DC's goal is to win 2 of the next 3 Giros (granted, technically announced before LA's retirement announcement), Popo is their next Lance they hope.

Well I don't think Popo has it in him to be the next Armstrong, he can't compete with the best in the mountains and TTing.......Also Lance said in pez-interview that they are looking for someone to step in when he retires.....ooh yeah he added that guy is not on his team now. So don't know about that........Cunego, Basso are way better......and a real young rider who could do big things: T. Dekker.....sorry I'm dutch that's why dekker pops into mind a little faster then other young riders;)

musette said:
Popo agreed with Bruyneel's decision that Popo is better off preparing fully for the Tour and not being too tired after the Giro. This was documented in an interview conducted with Bruyneel. Popo really liked the Giro, but Bruyneel thought it would be better for Popo to see what it would be like preparing properly for the TdF.

Popo is seen as more than a domestique. Since DC's goal is to win 2 of the next 3 Giros (granted, technically announced before LA's retirement announcement), Popo is their next Lance they hope.

MJtje said:
Well I don't think Popo has it in him to be the next Armstrong, he can't compete with the best in the mountains and TTing.......Also Lance said in pez-interview that they are looking for someone to step in when he retires.....ooh yeah he added that guy is not on his team now. So don't know about that.......

Don't misquote Pez. At least if you want to quote somebody, go re-read the LA interview first. LA clearly sees Popovych as one of the guys that he could pass his knowledge onto. He does not indicate DC is looking for somebody to fill his shoes; if they get recruited, great; if not, they have Popo. And any rider who is added is not necessarily in substitution for Popo.

"PEZ: I’ve heard you mention that when you retire you’d like to use your experience to help up and coming riders. Is that still a priority - to be fresh off the bike and be able to relate and transfer what you’ve learned to a guy like Popovych or someone young on your team? Lance: The program is here for three years if not longer, and with the organization that has grown used to winning the Tour de France. The sponsors have grown used to that, so we want to win either with myself or somebody else. I am a fan of the team, their number one fan and a supporter, so when the day comes when I am not there anymore it’s in my best interest as a selfish fan to want us to keep winning. I’ll pass on everything I know to a Popovych or whoever comes along - I mean a couple guys come to mind but they’re on other teams right now."

You're right I should have re-read it.........guess my memory isn't that good:rolleyes:
However, from DC's perspective, it will be good that somebody will win le tour soon, either Popo or someone else that DC has recruited. Even better an American......but I think that the USA can wait a long time for another lance armstrong....or even someone that can podium (sorry danielson fans);)

musette said:
Don't misquote Pez. At least if you want to quote somebody, go re-read the LA interview first. LA clearly sees Popovych as one of the guys that he could pass his knowledge onto. He does not indicate DC is looking for somebody to fill his shoes; if they get recruited, great; if not, they have Popo. And any rider who is added is not necessarily in substitution for Popo.

"PEZ: I’ve heard you mention that when you retire you’d like to use your experience to help up and coming riders. Is that still a priority - to be fresh off the bike and be able to relate and transfer what you’ve learned to a guy like Popovych or someone young on your team? Lance: The program is here for three years if not longer, and with the organization that has grown used to winning the Tour de France. The sponsors have grown used to that, so we want to win either with myself or somebody else. I am a fan of the team, their number one fan and a supporter, so when the day comes when I am not there anymore it’s in my best interest as a selfish fan to want us to keep winning. I’ll pass on everything I know to a Popovych or whoever comes along - I mean a couple guys come to mind but they’re on other teams right now."