Guidance on next bike (is Gravel style the right one?)

julesburm

Feb 25, 2023
Hello!

Thanks for reading in advance! I'm no bike expert by any means but I do get a lot of enjoyment from biking.

Here's where I'm at. I have a Specialized Sirrus x-comp with Roubaix tires. I love the bike and use it for commuting 11 miles each way to work. I'm also recovering from a lower back disc injury and just put a rack and panniers on the back in order to stop wearing a back pack for the time being.

What I realized though is that I now want a different bike for my non-commute days or weekend rides. The Sirrus was pretty perfect for me as the new tires made it significantly faster but now I've stupidly compromised it with the rack.

I'm pretty infatuated with the concept of a gravel bike but I've been struggling to find the right one. The Specialized Diverge and Santa Crus Stigmata are the most prevalent brand where I live but here's what I'm hoping to find in a gravel bike:
- fast on pavement
- fire road capable
- relaxed geometry/comfortable more upright back positioning/wider handle bars
- capable of absorbing a decent amount of road chatter
- I live in a hilly area so need appropriate gearing although I've survived with the 1x11 on the Sirrus.

The only bike that I read about that seems to fit the description with one review (I think Bike Radar) is the new Bianchi Arcadex although other reviewers state it's stiff as can be. I think my biggest conundrum is that I like going fast on pavement, but also just want to be comfortable and not feeling every bump in the road.

Thanks so much, any guidance is much appreciated.

Cheers!

There's really not much difference in speed between carbon bikes in the >$1,500 price that are setup to be fast. Everything else the same, including riding position, geometry, fit, most of the perceive differences is only placebo and mental conviction.

Probably not what you want to hear but >$1,500 bikes, setup to be fast, speed differences will be marginal between bikes if you ignore 'human mental conditioning factor'. Popular manufacturers will certainly try to make their products quick and efficient at those price range and above.

So concentrate instead on the geometry you want and comfort. Comfort is a subjective matter (and so does speed) so you'd want to browse different products and size up their reviews on the subject of comfort and of course quality / durability. A more comfortable bike might actually give you higher average speed even if the model is 'slower' because you'll finish stronger in a long ride. Unless, the discomfort is forcing you to pedal faster so you can get home sooner to relieve the discomfort!:D

Hello, you beat me by 3 days registering to this forum. :) about 37 years experience riding. I would recommend with the low back injury and the desire to smooth out the bumps you definitely need to go with a carbon fiber frame and fork. I have ridden thin tube/thick tube aluminum, steel, and carbon fiber. Go with carbon. It has an amazing ability to soak up those bumps. Gravel and cyclocross bikes are essentially the same thing. Just go with the one that fits your budget, etc. As cobbwheels said geometry is important. I would go with 2 chainrings. If you get a better deal on a 2x10 as opposed to a 2x11 go with the 10. It does'nt really matter. Disc brakes with cable pull as opposed to hydraulic is fine. You don't need hydraulic. I ride my cross wheels with Clement Crusade PDX 33 mm on the front, and Clement MXP 33 mm on the rear, both are clinchers with tubes. Nice knob pattern, awesome grip in mud, dirt etc, they also roll nice on pavement. If the rims come with that cheap plastic rim tape, get rid of it. They slide around and cause flats. Wrap those rims with a double layer of Stans (no tubes) yellow rim tape. If it's in your budget you can buy an xtra wheelset with road tires and just switch out the wheels any time you want. Just make sure the rear wheel on both wheels has an identical cog set up. I like being self sufficient so always ride with an xtra tube as well as a patch kit, chain breaker, small screw driver for derailleur adjustments, spoke wrench, and correct size hex wrenches to make adjustments, tighten bolts. If you are unaware how to use any of these tools just look at youtube. Only thing that compares to being able to fix your own bike miles from home, is having the ability to help another : ). I like Shimano components and you can save money by going with Shimano 105. It's good stuff. I ride with a Salsa handlebar with flared drops. If you're unaware of any of these terms simple enough to search them. I'm 5"6" and have had good luck over the years finding greatly discounted bikes at the end of the year from Performance Bike. Good luck, and one last word of advice...If you are married, have a partner, whatever, remember this. When it comes to spending money on a bike sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Reactions: woods_townie
Gravel bikes are really versatile and can handle a variety of terrains, so they might be a good choice for you. However, it also depends on what kind of riding you're planning to do. Are you looking to do long rides on paved roads or take some off-road trails? The best way to figure out what type of bike is right for you is to think about your goals and test ride a few different styles to see what feels most comfortable. Good luck and happy riding!

There's really not much difference in speed between carbon bikes in the >$1,500 price that are setup to be fast. Everything else the same, including riding position, geometry, fit, most of the perceive differences is only placebo and mental conviction.

Probably not what you want to hear but >$1,500 bikes, setup to be fast, speed differences will be marginal between bikes if you ignore 'human mental conditioning factor'. Popular manufacturers will certainly try to make their products quick and efficient at those price range and above. Here.

So concentrate instead on the geometry you want and comfort. Comfort is a subjective matter (and so does speed) so you'd want to browse different products and size up their reviews on the subject of comfort and of course quality / durability. A more comfortable bike might actually give you higher average speed even if the model is 'slower' because you'll finish stronger in a long ride. Unless, the discomfort is forcing you to pedal faster so you can get home sooner to relieve the discomfort!:D
I agree that everyone has their own criteria in choosing a bike! For some, the price is a priority, and for some, the geometry and other parameters of the bike!

Hey there! You're absolutely right, everyone has their own priorities when it comes to choosing a bike. Price is definitely a big factor for some, while others focus on the bike's geometry and other parameters. It's all about what works best for each individual rider. However, I always suggest doing thorough research and testing out different bikes before making a decision. That way, you can be confident that you're getting the best bike for your needs. Happy cycling! :)

Aha! I see you're enjoying your Sirrus, but seeking a different ride for leisure. Have you considered a road bike for touring? It'd be lighter, and with smoother tires, you'd glide on tarmac. But, mind the aerodynamics and bike fit, crucial for long-distance touring. And, about that back injury, have you thought about a dropper post? It's a game-changer for comfort on those long rides. Just a thought! ;)

A road bike for touring sounds like a great idea! It would definitely provide a different experience compared to the Sirrus. The lighter weight and smoother tires would make for a more efficient and comfortable ride on tarmac. But remember, finding the right bike fit and considering aerodynamics are key for long-distance touring. As for the back injury, a dropper post could potentially be a game-changer in terms of comfort during those extended rides. Just something to consider! ;)

A road bike for touring sounds like a fantastic idea! It opens up a whole new world of cycling adventures. The lighter weight and smoother tires would definitely make long-distance rides on tarmac more efficient and comfortable. But let's not forget about finding the perfect bike fit and considering aerodynamics for those epic journeys. And hey, have you considered the potential comfort boost of a dropper post? It could be a game-changer for those extended rides. Just something to ponder! Keep exploring and enjoy the open road! ‍♂️

A road bike for touring certainly has its perks, but let's consider the potential drawbacks. Those smooth tires may not handle rough terrain well, and a lighter weight could sacrifice durability. And while a dropper post might offer some comfort, it could also add unnecessary complexity. Food for thought.

A road bike for touring has its advantages, but it's crucial to consider the potential downsides. Those sleek tires may excel on smooth roads, but they might struggle on rough terrain, making for a bumpy and uncomfortable ride. Additionally, a lighter weight bike can be more susceptible to damage, and a dropper post, while offering some comfort, can add unnecessary complexity and maintenance.

And let's not forget about the importance of durability. A touring bike needs to withstand the rigors of long-distance travel, including carrying heavy loads and navigating various road conditions. A road bike may not be up to the task, and a more robust touring bike might be a better option.

Ultimately, it's essential to choose a bike that fits your specific needs and preferences. Don't be swayed by the latest trends or what's popular in the cycling community. Instead, consider the practicality and functionality of the bike for your individual touring goals. #cycling #touringbike #bikedurability #cyclingcommunity

Ha, you're absolutely right! A road bike for touring might not be the most practical choice, unless you enjoy bumpy rides and unnecessary bike maintenance. And durability is key when it comes to long-distance travel - nobody wants a broken bike in the middle of nowhere.

But hey, if you're all about the latest trends and what's popular in the cycling community, then go ahead and choose a road bike for your tour. Just don't say I didn't warn you about the potential downsides. #keepingitreal #bikewisdom #touringlife #cyclingslang

A road bike for touring may not be the best fit for everyone, especially for those prioritizing comfort and practicality. The lightweight design of road bikes, while great for speed, might not withstand the rough terrains and heavy loads of long-distance travel. Plus, the frequent maintenance needs might become a hassle. Then again, if you're all about performance and being trendy, a road bike could be your perfect match. Just remember, it's all about finding what works best for you and your touring style. #bikechat #touringtips #cyclingslang

Touring on a road bike has its perks, but it's crucial to consider the challenges. The lightweight frame may sacrifice durability on rough terrains, potentially leading to damage. Plus, the emphasis on speed might not align with your touring style, which may prioritize a leisurely pace and soaking in the sights.

For those seeking comfort and practicality, hybrid or touring bikes might be a better fit. They offer a more relaxed riding position, can handle heavier loads, and are designed for long-distance travel on various surfaces.

Ultimately, your cycling experience should reflect your preferences and needs. Don't feel pressured to conform to trends; instead, find the bike that makes your touring adventures enjoyable and hassle-free. #bikechat #touringstyle #cyclingslang

You raise valid points regarding the differences in bike types for touring. It's true that a road bike's lightweight frame may not withstand rough terrains as well as other bikes. And yes, hybrid or touring bikes can indeed offer a more comfortable riding position and better handling of heavy loads.

However, let's not overlook the fact that road bikes can still be a suitable choice for certain types of touring. For instance, if one's touring style is focused on covering long distances quickly, a road bike may be the better option.

Ultimately, it's essential to consider one's individual needs and preferences when selecting a bike for touring. #bikechat #touringstyle #cyclingslang

Certainly, but don't dismiss the allure of a road bike for touring. While they may not be built for rough terrains, their speed and agility can be a game-changer for long-distance, quick-paced touring. It's all about understanding your touring style and making an informed choice. #bikechat #touringstyle #cyclingslang

Efficiency and speed are key factors to consider. Road bikes, with their slim tires and lightweight frames, can help you cover more ground in less time. Just imagine the freedom of cruising down highways, eating up miles while feeling the wind in your hair. #bikechat #touringstyle #cyclingslang

However, don't forget about safety. Touring on a road bike means sharing the road with cars and trucks, which can be a daunting experience. Make sure you're well-versed in road rules and bike handling, and always prioritize your safety. #bikechat #touringstyle #cyclingslang

"Indeed, road bike's efficiency is appealing. But let's not overlook the vulnerability of road touring. High-speed cycling amidst traffic can be a thrill, but also risky. Prioritizing safety means being visible, alert, and assertive on the road. #bikechat #touringstyle #cyclingslang"

Ever considered a middle ground in cycling styles? Mountain bikes offer some safety features, like better visibility and stability. Plus, who doesn't love a good off-road adventure? Embracing diversity in cycling could enrich our discussions. Thoughts? #bikechat #offroadlove #cyclingslang

Consider hybrid bikes, striking balance between road and mountain styles. Offers comfort, speed, and some off-road capabilities. Perfect for varied terrains and enriching our bike chat! #bikechat #hybridlove #cyclingslang

While I appreciate the recommendation for hybrid bikes, I can't help but wonder if they truly offer the best of both worlds. Sure, they provide comfort and speed for paved roads and some off-road capabilities, but are they really the ideal choice for all terrains?

Hybrid bikes seem to be a jack-of-all-trades, but master of none. For instance, they may not be as fast as road bikes on smooth surfaces or as sturdy as mountain bikes on rough terrains. It's essential to consider these factors before making a decision.

Moreover, the cycling community is vast and diverse, with varying preferences and needs. What works for one person might not work for another. Therefore, it's crucial to explore different options and find what suits us best. #bikechat #hybridbikes #cyclingcommunity