Guilty pleasure?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:49:41 -0700, MattB wrote:

> Of course things can be intended one way and interpreted another. That's the stuff Three's Company
> plots are made of!

Uh, that would be "were", actually.

If Monique prefers, I will insist that all Y-chromosome-challenged bikers refer to the rest of us as
"beefcakes", rather that take off on some politically-correct direction. I don't mind - really. :)

Or maybe it should be "beefcakes, where applicable".

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

>I said yes and then told #1 that it wasn't going to work as I wanted to show these other folks
>around but she was welcome to join us.

Precisely what I would have done.

Per http://lowdin.nu

Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Penny S wrote:
>
> > OK, so maybe I don't feel so guilty... So we rode fun, fast and hard with minimum stoppage, got
> > back to the trailhead with just enough daylight to spare...
> >
> > Penny
> >
> Youch! you're just a meanie, (hehehe) but I know what you mean, and probably know how you
> feel, after
>
> leading so many beginner/intermediate group rides this summer, I'm just hammering solo or with the
> A-Teamers now. I've temporarily run out of patience and just want to rock-n-roll.
>
> Paladin

[meekly raises hand]

Sorry 'bout that, sir.
--
Jonesy (Loon Lake Death March back-marker)

E-mail me: rfjonesy *at* hotmail *dot* com

P.S. Penny - after doing some of the same with beginners, I too have blown off some of them so that
I could just ride. I want them to be a part of the sport, but at the same time, they need to
do stuff on their own sometimes.

> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Monique Y. Herman spray painted on a boxcar:
>> > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 at 16:45 GMT, Sir Ride-A-Lot penned:

>> > Hey now. I don't run around calling the buff guys I see on the trail "eye candy" ...
>> >
>> > Or do I?
>> >
>> > Seriously, unless a person is out solely to attract the attention

>> > "eye candy." It strongly implies that their only purpose is your viewing entertainment. I doubt
>> > Penny would be slumming with someone whose only goal in mountain biking is to snag a man, so I
>> > don't think the term "eye candy" is appropriate.
>>
>> Oh, puleese... men are engineered for visual stimulation, they can't help it. It's harmless 95%
>> of the time, and it makes them happy.
>>
>> trust me, when you are my age( 43) and a guy oogles you or tells you that you have a great ass,
>> you won't give a feminist's rat's ass about the socio-political implications of such a thing.
>>
>> Penny S
>>

> BTW Penny... Have I told you that you have a great ass!
>
>:)

bunch of degenerates...:) (anyone got any proof of this "ass" in which you speak?)

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> > BTW Penny... Have I told you that you have a great ass!
> >
> >:)
> >

> bunch of degenerates...:) (anyone got any proof of this "ass" in which
you
> speak?)

Should be "of which".

Matt (filling in for Baker)

snip
> trust me, when you are my age( 43) and a guy oogles you or tells you that you have a great ass,
> you won't give a feminist's rat's ass about the socio-political implications of such a thing.
>
> Penny S

Since I'm new to the group and 43 as well, I can tell you it works when I tell my wife stuff like
that <g>. I'm pretty good about not offending the few girls that do ride in fear of losing their
presence because looking at them sure beats the hell out of looking at this bland desert I live in.

Gary

Per Löwdin spray painted on a boxcar:
>> I said yes and then told #1 that it wasn't going to work as I wanted to show these other folks
>> around but she was welcome to join us.
>
> Precisely what I would have done.
>
> Per http://lowdin.nu

in case it got lost in the shuffle, that **is** what I did.

p.

GeeDubb spray painted on a boxcar:
> snip
>> trust me, when you are my age( 43) and a guy oogles you or tells you that you have a great ass,
>> you won't give a feminist's rat's ass about the socio-political implications of such a thing.
>>
>> Penny S
>
> Since I'm new to the group and 43 as well, I can tell you it works when I tell my wife stuff
> like that <g>. I'm pretty good about not offending the few girls that do ride in fear of losing
> their presence because looking at them sure beats the hell out of looking at this bland desert I
> live in.
>
> Gary

You do want to contain the drool. Subtlety is a good thing. Not being subtle is rude.

Penny

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 at 23:20 GMT, Penny S penned:
> You do want to contain the drool. Subtlety is a good thing. Not being subtle is rude.
>
> Penny

Well, at least in mountain biking, you can always claim to be admiring the bike. "No, I wasn't
staring at your ass! I just love that seat you have!"

Adding, "Can I touch it?" will probably give you away, though.

--
monique PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Whatever it takes, just don't
CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Craig Brossman spray painted on a boxcar:
> Penny S wrote:
>> Oh sorry. Hairsplitting if you ask me. Would "hotties in lycra" be a better phrase than "eye
>> candy"? One can look, but you can't label what's being looked at? At 43, I'll take being being
>> looked at/oggled/ eyecandy etc as a compliment any day.
>>
>> penny
>>

> Now you two went and really did it ... cat fight. Picturing the famous Bud Light comercial ... :)

maybe this? http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/*****slapped.gif

Really it comes down to sematics.. I've done my share of arguing over what terms used to refer to
females are accecptable ( to me) and which are not. I do agree that ***** is about as not-nice as
you can get. I'm pretty sure sure I wouldn't want to hang out with someone who called me that as an
endearment or possesive.

penny

It's too bad that Penny didn't have the class to just keep this to herself. It's really not too bright to post something like this in an on-line forum where the ditched rider, my wife in this case, could read the original post and the ensuing thread.

But I think things really worked out for the best as many posted, but not as you might have thought. You see, this "lazy-butt FS gal" probably would have shown Penny a thing or two. My wife has gotten significantly better than when Penny rode with her almost two years ago. At that time, they shared a ride that really wasn't all that challenging, so I'm not sure how Penny was able to discern much about her abilities. I do remember Penny showing up for a Mountaineers ride with us last year and having to drop out from the big dog group (which had both men and women riders) and ride with the intermediates (I believe she just couldn't hang). And this was in the first 2 miles of the ride!

At any rate, it would have been nice to see Penny join us this past summer when we rode Mica Peak together (25 miles and 3000+ vertical) or the Kettle Crest trail above Kettle Falls. She is also welcome to join us on our Tower Mt loop (not from the easy west side, however) anytime (8 miles and 2000' vertical).

These are the words of a proud husband, if y'all couldn't tell. No ill will here, however. Just disappointment with this sort of snobbery. I've led many a group of mountain bikers with the Spokane Mountaineers at all levels. And I still can't remember a bad ride, beginning, intermediate or advanced.

MTBmoose

P.S. - Penny, when was the last time you rode the rock garden along the river at Riverside. My "lazy ass, FS-loving wife" rides it non-stop! And you should have seen her on her loaner hardtail this summer while she was waiting for her new FS ride. It ain't the bike, it's the rider.

Originally posted by Penny S
I had not one but two invites to ride today. I sort of said yes to the first one, not knowing that
the second one was coming. This would be with someone I don't really know, who specifically said
she wanted to take it easy as she was tired of "chasing the guys". Then invitation #2 was in my
inbox this morning, the transplants from Syracuse wanted to hit the same location, but they wanted
me to show them some of "my" routes. There's only 75 miles of trails out there. I said yes and then
told #1 that it wasn't going to work as I wanted to show these other folks around but she was
welcome to join us.

I feel a little guilty for bailing but not too much. I was taking care of myself ;-) getting out for
the kind of ride I needed today, with folks who's ability I know was the level I needed to ride at.
I was not in the mood to be patient or kind or mosey along with someone who I've observed has "lazy
butt FS syndrome". OK, so maybe I don't feel so guilty... So we rode fun, fast and hard with minimum

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:38:13 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> Well, at least in mountain biking, you can always claim to be admiring the bike. "No, I wasn't
> staring at your ass! I just love that seat you have!"

The sad thing is, sometimes we really ARE just checking out the bike.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:38:13 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
> > Well, at least in mountain biking, you can always claim to be admiring the bike. "No, I wasn't
> > staring at your ass! I just love that seat you have!"
>
> The sad thing is, sometimes we really ARE just checking out the bike.

That's cold.....really cold.

Gary

"MTBmoose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It's too bad that Penny didn't have the class to just keep this to herself.

>It's really not too bright to post something like this in an on-line forum where the ditched rider,
>my wife in this case, could read the original post and the ensuing thread.
>
> But I think things really worked out for the best as many posted, but not as you might have
> thought. You see, this "lazy-butt FS gal" probably would have shown Penny a thing or two. My wife
> has gotten significantly better than when Penny rode with her almost two years ago. At that time,
> they shared a ride that really wasn't all that challenging, so I'm not sure how Penny was able to
> discern much about her abilities. I do remember Penny showing up for a Mountaineers ride with us
> last year and having to drop out from the big dog group (which had both men and women riders) and
> ride with the intermediates (I believe she just couldn't hang). And this was in the first 2 miles
> of the ride!
>
> At any rate, it would have been nice to see Penny join us this past summer when we rode Mica Peak
> together (25 miles and 3000+ vertical) or the Kettle Crest trail above Kettle Falls. She is also
> welcome to join us on our Tower Mt loop (not from the easy west side, however) anytime (8 miles
> and 2000' vertical).
>
> These are the words of a proud husband, if y'all couldn't tell. No ill will here, however. Just
> disappointment with this sort of snobbery. I've led many a group of mountain bikers with the
> Spokane Mountaineers at all levels. And I still can't remember a bad ride, beginning, intermediate
> or advanced.
>
> MTBmoose
>
> P.S. - Penny, when was the last time you rode the rock garden along the river at Riverside. My
> "lazy ass, FS-loving wife" rides it non-stop! And you should have seen her on her loaner
> hardtail this summer while she was waiting for her new FS ride. It ain't the bike, it's the
> rider.

Uh, oh. Some geek has got to stand up for his wife and not follow his own advice: "keep it
to himself."

Things I've learned in this thread: 1) females are as competitive as males;
2) Penny has a nice ass, especially for someone who is "chronologically challenged"; 3) Monique has
a nice ass, just don't ogle her or call her *****, chick, babe, ho, girl, lady, squeeze, honey,
cutie, sweety, etc.; 4) don't insult some guy's wife on usenet; 5) don't **** in your own bed.

P.S. I know the "transplants from Syracuse" and my friends can beat up your friends AND your
friends' wives.

So there.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 at 02:36 GMT, Doug Taylor penned:

> Things I've learned in this thread: 1) females are as competitive as males; 2) Penny has a nice
> ass, especially for someone who is "chronologically challenged"; 3) Monique has a nice ass, just
> don't ogle her or call her *****, chick, babe, ho, girl, lady, squeeze, honey, cutie, sweety,
> etc.; 4) don't insult some guy's wife on usenet;
> 5) don't **** in your own bed.

1) You have no idea.
2) Probably so; she's posted pictures, so you should be able to tell.
3) Maybe so, and feel free to call me a chick =)
4) Probably not restricted to usenet.
5) Gross.

--
monique PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Whatever it takes, just don't
CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

MTBmoose spray painted on a boxcar:
>> It's too bad that Penny didn't have the class to just keep this to
> herself. It's really not too bright to post something like this in an on-line forum where the
> ditched rider, my wife in this case, could read the original post and the ensuing thread.

You are right.. total lack of class on my part.

the most important part is that I apologized for bagging, and she accepted.

I'll apologize to you to too,

There's no way out of this. Lots of miscellaneous truth here, and the worst thing I'm guilty of is
saying possibly hurtful things, bad behavior ( not a habit, but why should you believe that) and not
playing nice on the internet.

I"min the wrong. all I can do is hang my head,and remember that you are supposed to play nice on
the internet. If Lisa has come along at the same rate I have ( which sounds great that she has), if
you will accept any of this, there may be good rides in the future....otherwise you and or she can
write me off as you see fit.

I have a feeling that I will just keep cramming my foot into my mouth if I say any more, so there
you have it.

PS

BB wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:38:13 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>

>>Well, at least in mountain biking, you can always claim to be admiring the bike. "No, I wasn't
>>staring at your ass! I just love that seat you have!"
>>

> The sad thing is, sometimes we really ARE just checking out the bike.

Sad, but true. I've been caught checking out a bike (seriously) when my wife thought I was checking
out the rider.

Doesn't happen too often, but the disturbing signs are still there....

Paladin

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> MTBmoose spray painted on a boxcar:
> >> It's too bad that Penny didn't have the class to just keep this to
> > herself. It's really not too bright to post something like this in an on-line forum where the
> > ditched rider, my wife in this case, could read the original post and the ensuing thread.
> >

> You are right.. total lack of class on my part.
>
> the most important part is that I apologized for bagging, and she accepted.
>
> I'll apologize to you to too,
>
> There's no way out of this. Lots of miscellaneous truth here, and the worst thing I'm guilty of is
> saying possibly hurtful things, bad behavior ( not a habit, but why should you believe that) and
> not playing nice on the internet.
>
> I"min the wrong. all I can do is hang my head,and remember that you are supposed to play nice on
> the internet. If Lisa has come along at the same rate I have ( which sounds great that she has),
> if you will accept any of this, there may be good rides in the future....otherwise you and or she
> can write me off as you see fit.
>
> I have a feeling that I will just keep cramming my foot into my mouth if I say any more, so there
> you have it.
>
> PS

FWIW, I've known Penny for a few years now, and have ridden some big rides with her, and worked with
her to put these annual epics together. Many on the ng have solicited her help with clothing issues,
etc. We're close in age, and share lots of issues with our respective teenagers and have talked
family matters from time to time.

She is always very considerate and helpful, and not at all mean or overbearing in the slightest. She
and her husband are great people who are a lot of fun to be around, and always willing to help
others. I know she had no intention of singling this gal out to embarrass her. Rather, the purpose
of the post (in my mind, anyway) was to get a check on how others thought she handled this low-level
ethical/social dilemma. That speaks more of her character than if she just blew the gal off.

But that does not mean to say that she is afraid to express her opinion, or afraid to let you know
where you stand when you need to hear the truth. But seriously, guys, who would you rather ride or
hang with? A weak wallflower that might smile on the outside, but despise you on the inside? Or an
active, outdoorsy gal that rides hard, puts it on the line and is going for it, not afraid to speak
up now and then? Huh?

Nobody needs to defend Penny, as I think her apology was a perfect example of her character, and
speaks for itself. But I have this habit of chiming in for my friends, especially when there's a
chance that others may judge them wrongly, like Dr. Demento's tall cousin from GJ.

Remember, you don't know people until you know them.

Paladin