Guimard may coach the Bigmat team according cyclingnews.com

Heinz Getzler

Guest
Guimard may coach the Bigmat team according cyclingnews.com. It will be very interesting to see what
sort of results Guimard can produce if he gets the Bigmat director sprotif job........

French cycling has been in a downturn for quite some time now. Guimard may be just the spark that a
team like Bigmat needs.

My guess is that it will take a couple of years or a big sponsor to produce any big results. In any
case Guimard has shown a talent for picking winners.

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Guimard may coach the Bigmat team according cyclingnews.com. It will be very interesting to see
> what sort of results Guimard can produce
if
> he gets the Bigmat director sprotif job........
>
> French cycling has been in a downturn for quite some time now.
Guimard
> may be just the spark that a team like Bigmat needs.
>
> My guess is that it will take a couple of years or a big sponsor to produce any big results. In
> any case Guimard has shown a talent for picking winners.

Certainly Guimard used to be great. Does he still have the spark?

Hell, with the troll meter going off the scales it's worth a try...

Thanks, Ronde Chimp

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Guimard may coach the Bigmat team according cyclingnews.com. It will be very interesting to see
> what sort of results Guimard can produce if he gets the Bigmat director sprotif job........
>
> French cycling has been in a downturn for quite some time now. Guimard may be just the spark that
> a team like Bigmat needs.
>
> My guess is that it will take a couple of years or a big sponsor to produce any big results. In
> any case Guimard has shown a talent for picking winners.

Isn't Big Mat pulling out of the sport after this year? Could be a problem unless Guimard has a
sponsor lined up, which would be nice.

"if guimard coaches again. two things will happen.
1. he will become very rich......
2. France will have a TDF winner

he is the best coach of all time

--
"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "if guimard coaches again. two things will happen.
> 1. he will become very rich......
> 2. France will have a TDF winner
>
> he is the best coach of all time

Anyone know which DS has the most overall TdF wins, post-WWII?

"Magni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Guimard may coach the Bigmat team according cyclingnews.com. It will be very interesting to see
> > what sort of results Guimard can produce if he gets the Bigmat director sprotif job........
> >
> > French cycling has been in a downturn for quite some time now. Guimard may be just the spark
> > that a team like Bigmat needs.
> >
> > My guess is that it will take a couple of years or a big sponsor to produce any big results. In
> > any case Guimard has shown a talent for picking winners.
> >

> Isn't Big Mat pulling out of the sport after this year? Could be a problem unless Guimard has a
> sponsor lined up, which would be nice.
I think that if Guimard were to start soon he could pull off some classics wins. Guimard is still
well respected in France so I think a sponsor would be more wwilling to replace Big Mat

"> Maybe. Anyone know if the same DS work all of Big Mig's wins and the
> Delgado win in 1988?

Should be the same. Good call.

I wanted to say something on this, but the only question in my mind is whether he will need time to
develop riders or provide instant success. My sense is that he (like almost any other DS) needs a
season to put things in place, including selecting riders he believes in. After all, his strength as
a DS is a large part in scouting. This should be interesting.

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Magni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Guimard may coach the Bigmat team according cyclingnews.com. It will be very interesting to
> > > see what sort of results Guimard can produce if he gets the Bigmat director sprotif
> > > job........
> > >
> > > French cycling has been in a downturn for quite some time now. Guimard may be just the spark
> > > that a team like Bigmat needs.
> > >
> > > My guess is that it will take a couple of years or a big sponsor to produce any big results.
> > > In any case Guimard has shown a talent for picking winners.
> > >

> > Isn't Big Mat pulling out of the sport after this year? Could be a
problem
> > unless Guimard has a sponsor lined up, which would be nice.
> I think that if Guimard were to start soon he could pull off some classics wins. Guimard is still
> well respected in France so I think a sponsor would be more wwilling to replace Big Mat

in article [email protected], Chris M at [email protected] wrote on
02/11/2003 03:34 PM:

> At most, that gives him 6 (Echevari). Guimard has 7, off the top of my head.

I only count 6 for Guimard ... Hinault (1978-79, 1981-82) & Fignon (1983-84). Hinault rode for La
Vie Claire for his 1985 win, as did LeMond in 1986 (both Paul Köchli).

Zoetemelk won in 1980 ... not a Guimard team. Roche won in 1987 ... not a Guimard team. Delgado
won in 1988 ... not Guimard (was Echevarri leading Reynolds??) LeMond won in 1989-90 ... not
Guimard. Indurain won in 1991-95 ... not Guimard. Riis won in 1996 ... not Guimard. Ullrich won in
1997 ... not Guimard. Pantani won in 1998 ... not Guimard. Armstrong won in 1999-2002 ...
definitely NOT Guimard.

> "Chris Mitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:TX_1a.64111$tq4.3595@sccrnsc01...
>>
>> "> Maybe. Anyone know if the same DS work all of Big Mig's wins and the
>>> Delgado win in 1988?
>>>
>> Should be the same. Good call.

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

input this into your equation. guimard made good cyclist TDF winners

remember when guimard took over the cofidis for a short period. julich took third shortly
there after.

guimard is the best due to the fact he can take a good cyclist and make them a great cyclist. most
of the others just get a great cyclist and build a team around them.

Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> JTN <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "if guimard coaches again. two things will happen.
> > 1. he will become very rich......
> > 2. France will have a TDF winner
>
> > he is the best coach of all time
>
> For an opposing view check: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=1-
> 9971119200200.PAA22854%40ladder02.news.aol.com&rnum=1
>
> You have to wonder if it's just chance that he's been away from the highest levels of the sport
> for so long.

I think that Guimard will serve as a General Manager and team consultant. Guimard probably wants
someone else to fulfill te DS role and run the team on a day to day basis.

> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

"Chris M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I wanted to say something on this, but the only question in my mind is whether he will need time
> to develop riders or provide instant success. My sense is that he (like almost any other DS) needs
> a season to put things in place, including selecting riders he believes in. After all, his
> strength as a DS is a large part in scouting. This should be interesting.

I agree that it will be at least a season before we can expect any big results. But since there are
a lot of riders without a team he might have a lot of good riders to choose from. For this season I
think Guimard will concentrate on the fall classics. There is usually less competiton and it will
give him the time he needs to rerfine his team. Guimard will need to produce some results this
season if hopes to replace Bigmat....

> "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Magni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Isn't Big Mat pulling out of the sport after this year? Could be a
> problem
> > > unless Guimard has a sponsor lined up, which would be nice.
> > I think that if Guimard were to start soon he could pull off some classics wins. Guimard is
> > still well respected in France so I think a sponsor would be more wwilling to replace Big Mat

This is old news. For starters, FA was there while LA was sick and CG was in deep trouble. There was
no other time for Fank to work with Guimard. Sure, FA would know what he experienced but Guimard is
not known nor does he want to be know as "most popular with foriegn domestiques angry about their
situation".

As a matter of fact, his first TDF win as DS had him fighting with the winner he directed, Lucian
Van Impe. He seemed to get along with Hinault until BH's knee got fried at the Vuelta (which was
scheduled before the Giro at that time) and he seemed to get along with Larry and Greg. Bernard
Hinault started to trash him when he was injured. At that point in the late spring of 1983 CG had 5
Tours wins under his belt as DS (Lucian Van Impe, Bernard Hinault). He then went to the Tour and got
his 6th victory with a domestique, (Fignon).

Like him or not Guimard is known for results, not smiles. Poor Frank is a bit bitter.