Guys wearing yellow jerseys

dm69 said:
what if they won those jerseys? I have a yellow jersey & polka dot jersey from tour wins. Even some national kit when I represented my country.

I am damn proud of that stuff and I will wear it whenever i feel like.

I dont get paid to ride my bike yet...who cares?

I think the bone of contention is people... blokes (women seem to have immunity) riding in coloured jerseys they've paid for but haven't "earned"... "You can only wear yellow if you actually won the TdF or team colours only if you're on the team".

I don't know any other sport where there is this problem. Can you imagine telling a Manchester United supporter he should wear a Man U jersey unless he actually played for them? He kick ya fikin' head in!

BTW you should be VERY proud to wear your country's colours.

I_ride_my_bike said:
I don't know why, but I just have to laugh every time I see a cyclist dressed in all the proper pro gear (which is ok) but when I see these guys wearing yellow jerseys I just have to laugh. C'mon now, what you think your a tour de France champ for wearing a yellow jersey? The reason I bring this up is because I see alot of guys wearing yellow. I really doubt these guys love the colour yellow. They just want to pretend they are champs in their own little world.
I had someone come up to me the other day call me "Lance" and ask me what I had done to earn my yellow jersey. At first I didn't even make the connection, (mine has white armbands and reflective stripes) -- and he was just joking around, -- so it took me a second or two but I finally got it. I was embarassed to use this jersey for a little while. But then thought - well I bought the damn thing, I like it, think it is bright and easy to see, and I am going to wear it.

I also have a nephew who is a semi-pro racer http://www.usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=206020 and I have some jerseys from him, should I not wear them ? I am proud of what he's done and like telling people about him when they ask me where the jersey's come from. Do I really need to worry about the scorn of presumptuous people ?

I am glad to see this OP was met with some flames , and thoughtful retorts.

We have a lot of hills around us. The next jersey I buy will be red polka dots. I am sure I will get lots of attacks from other riders wanting to race me uphill with that one. :D For me though, red matches my bike. At 195 lbs (down from 210 since riding this summer), I suck at climbing, inspite of the fact that all we have are hills around us (keeps me to a 13-14 mph pace) ...

Rock on in your colors my friends, what ever shade they be.

*ALL* my jerseys are yellow by the time I get done pissing myself from laughing so hard at what a douchebag Mr. I RIDE MY BIKES is.

I think half the fun of riding a bike is showing off. I'm way to big for pro tour kit so no worries. My two favorite jersies are huge Canadian flas with the provinces and territories flags down the sides. Kinda partial to my Burt n Ernie jersey. If I could fi tin a team jersey I would have one, and after reading this I'll make sure my next jersey is yellow, no wait yellow with a big rainbow on my chest, one pink sleeve, one green sleeve, white cuffs, polka dots under the rainbow...hey that would be kinda cool.

I_ride_my_bike said:
Hey if you got if for free thats cool, I just don't understand why there are people spending big money on jerseys with corporate logos. Atleast this jersey for you has some meaning which is why you aren't wearing it and I respect that. I don't respect posers trying to act cool. Thankfully you are one of the few noble non show offs out there.
i know im joining this post late...just browsing around and posting...
what about fans of other sports teams? it's the same as all the new york yankee fans who wear their gear. are they posers? asses, yes, but baseball poser wannabes? no, just fans. same goes for people who spend "big money" on team kits,etc. what's a couple hundred bucks? nothing.
As for wearing yellow, if my yellow jersey is the clean one, i'm wearing it. it's highly visible AND it pays homage to the greatest race in all sport. and if we were riding together, i would be the overall leader anyway, so it's appropriate...

I_ride_my_bike said:
I don't know why, but I just have to laugh every time I see a cyclist dressed in all the proper pro gear (which is ok) but when I see these guys wearing yellow jerseys I just have to laugh. C'mon now, what you think your a tour de France champ for wearing a yellow jersey? The reason I bring this up is because I see alot of guys wearing yellow. I really doubt these guys love the colour yellow. They just want to pretend they are champs in their own little world.
I wear a yellow jersey when i ride.. whats the issue? Just so happens, my bike, gear and kit are all from the yellow jersey bike shop.. who are also a MAJOR sponsor for my home club. Not to mention that yellow is a high vis colour.. safer for road riders and makes it easier for them to have a laugh coz you're too busy noticing their jersey colour and stack it. I think you should get over it.. to me sounds like your envious of the yella' joisey wearers..:rolleyes:

My mates have begun forcing me to wear yellow after witnessing the incredible speeds I don't achieve on offroad downhills.

They also make clucking noises and flap their arms when they pass me. :rolleyes:

I sometimes try to go faster of course, but I find wearing a yellow top and brown shorts properly embarassing (It clashes! Well, it makes me look like part of a wasp anyway.) :D

My advice: if you do insist on wearing a logo on your top, make sure it's on the back so I can read it. And I really don't mind what colour.

I like the hi viz features of the yellow and gold jerseys. I am looking for a Maglia Rosa for these foggy days.

;)

lwedge said:
I like the hi viz features of the yellow and gold jerseys. I am looking for a Maglia Rosa for these foggy days.

;)
Too bright! Too bright! My eyes! My eyes! Turn it down!:p

Yeah why not? Yellow is a good color to ride with because you can see it. Kind of stands out. Neons are good too. Yellow is caution.

I'm figuring the OP is a little too stupid to realize that riders wear yellow to be seen. I wear yellow so I can be seen on gloomy grey days. Has nothing to do with being the champ. Probably why the TFD leader is yellow. So they can easily be spotted in the peleton. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Damien Lee
Fortunately, not many guys riding around wearing yellow jerseys around my neck of the wood. Most guys like to wear clothing with a color that is more masculine. Yellow is not such a color and most other cyclists will either laugh at you or ignore you. I don't even see many female cyclists wearing yellow either, which proves how unpopular this color is around here.

Well I wouldn't wear yellow, not for any fashion reasons but simply because a yellow jersey means a big deal in the sport of cycling and is usually only worn by the elite.

I'd probably feel uncomfortable simply for the fact that other cyclists may frown upon me wearing that, although I'm sure some do and couldn't care less what others think.

I wear whatever is comfortable for me and works well with the weather. I am not much concern about the color yellow although just like most people have pointed out it gives better visibility.