Guys, would you ride 6 days after a minor procedure on your leg. And a Century at that.

GrowingStronger

Aug 22, 2013
I have my second micro-ablation in about 10 days to resolve venous insufficiency. I'm signed up for a hundred mile charity 6 days later. Should I do it? In theory, I can resume "normal activity" 3 days after the procedure, so 3 days before the ride, upon a good ultrasound. But 100 miles isn't my normal, kind of a stretch, do-able but a stretch. Hate to disappoint my friends but I think maybe not such a good idea?

Hard to say, since I'm not a doctor and am not familiar with that particular procedure. If I were in your shoes, 3 days after it, do an average ride, see how it feels. When it comes to the day of the ride, if you decide to go forward, the situation is this: it's a charity ride. You'll have regular rest stops. There'll be a SAG wagon in all probability. They usually hand out maps/cue sheets with a number to call for SAG assistance. Check the route map. Many charity rides have shorter distance options. If they all start out over the same route, and have different return points, you can always bail out on a shorter route. And if things go really bad, call the SAG number or wait for the van along the road. SAG vehicles generally sweep the course at regular intervals. But if you experience pain or discomfort on the pre-event rides, don't go. You're not going to lose very much fitness, if any, with 3 days off the bike.

You'll get the best advice if you call your doctor and ask him what he thinks.

I road 2 weeks after major surgery on my knee but I am a mutant so ask your doc and also see how you feel. No need to make plans yet.

No, it was actually kind of cool, had the right leg done a month ago. The cardiologist is a nice guy, really friendly, explained everything as he went along, turned the monitor so I could see it in action in the ultrasound. He had to inject about 30 injections of lidocaine, but as far as I was concerned it was better than taking the optional Valium, which makes me puke. It took about an hour and a half. The two surgical techs were nice, too, we had a good conversation going. Most fun I ever had going under the knife. It did hurt when he threaded the catheter up the vein, lidocaine or no lidocaine.

Quote: Originally Posted by GrowingStronger .

No, it was actually kind of cool, had the right leg done a month ago. The cardiologist is a nice guy, really friendly, explained everything as he went along, turned the monitor so I could see it in action in the ultrasound. He had to inject about 30 injections of lidocaine, but as far as I was concerned it was better than taking the optional Valium, which makes me puke. It took about an hour and a half. The two surgical techs were nice, too, we had a good conversation going. Most fun I ever had going under the knife. It did hurt when he threaded the catheter up the vein, lidocaine or no lidocaine.

You may wish to inquire about the magic elixir known as propofol.
big-smile.png

You'd need a ride home, though.

Well I waited until after the ultrasound. They said I would have some swelling and pain post-procedure but I really didn't. So 72 hours later, I was back on. I only did 10 that night just to not push my luck, did 20 the next night and a cumulative 50 the following day broken In to a morning 30 and nightime 20. So great, really. No pain. I did develop some weird numbness in my calf, but he said that was just nerve damage and regeneration, and it went away.

Regardless of your decision, please consider getting a Medic Alert bracelet stating you have have a Pacemaker, and are on amiodarone. If you need assistance somewhere along the way, this information will be helpful, especially as far as the pacer is concerned. There are many different varieties of Pacers. So if the Paramedics, such as myself, show up, we can make a better treatment plan. Have a good ride!

Sorry, I think you are thinking of another forum member perhaps, I don't have a pacemaker and am not on that drug, never heard of it actually. But the MA bracelets are a good idea for a variety of conditions, so thanks for the good thought.

Quote: Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy .

Sorry, I think you are thinking of another forum member perhaps, I don't have a pacemaker and am not on that drug, never heard of it actually. But the MA bracelets are a good idea for a variety of conditions, so thanks for the good thought.

Heey, didnt you get "waxed" (as in banned)
big-smile.png
on that big trolling shootout?
big-smile.png

It's best to get back on your bike as soon as possible. Go hard and take some pain killers if it hurts.

Oh on second thoughts, i'd ask the doctor.

Volnix said:
Heey, didnt you get "waxed" (as in banned) :big-smile:  on that big trolling shootout? :big-smile:   Ah, I was able to file an appeal, which was granted by the Court.