Gym workout for cyclist

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Anybody have any suggestions for gym routines for cyclist? I belong to LA Fitness, so they have a
    good selection of machines and free weights. I'm looking for a Mon. to Fri. workout. TIA

    Tags:

  2. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    look at lances book. it has all you need to know for cyclist girly man workouts. if you dont want to
    be a girly man use arnolds book.

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Anybody have any suggestions for gym routines for cyclist? I belong to LA Fitness, so they have a
    >good selection of machines and free weights. I'm looking for a Mon. to Fri. workout. TIA

    If this is for off-season, I'd forget about trying to craft a cycling-specific workout and go for
    conventional machine/station/strength workouts supplemented by some time on the StairMaster or
    treadmill.

    In my experience my bod needs something else besides making little circles with the feet. It hasn't
    been getting it for about the last 18 months - and that's how I know...
    -----------------------
    Pete Cresswell

  4. Diane Larose

    Diane Larose Guest

    "Weight Training for Cyclists" by Eric Schmitz & Ken Doyle - a great $14.95 investment - has a
    schedule for weight training October thru April - and if interested a program for summer maintenance
    - I add a couple of spinning classes a week & I'm ready for spring ...

    d "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anybody have any suggestions for gym routines for cyclist? I belong to LA Fitness, so they have a
    > good selection of machines and free weights. I'm looking for a Mon. to Fri. workout. TIA

  5. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anybody have any suggestions for gym routines for cyclist? I belong to LA Fitness, so they have a
    > good selection of machines and free weights. I'm looking for a Mon. to Fri. workout. TIA

    I recommend you get a copy of "Weight Training for Cyclists". You can get it from Velo Press
    http://www.velopress.com/weigtrainfor.html

    They also have several other great titles available.

    Gary Mishler

  6. Dwall

    Dwall Guest

  7. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:01:08 -0500, "dwall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://spokepost.com/news/?articleID=109 This site has the details of cycling weight training!

    That's a good article. My only quibble is with breaking your lifting down into "power" and
    "strength" phases. If you want to work on power and acceleration with a load between 40-60% of your
    1RM do it on the bike where you're getting a lot more specificity (same thing with muscular
    endurance). Save time in the gym for working on absolute strength.

    Generally speaking, a good workout involve some type of lower body exercise, some kind of upper body
    press and some kind of upper body pull.

    For lower body I'd go with the front squat, romanian deadlifts, and the ubiquitous leg press.

    For cyclists, the best and safest upper body exercises would be the overhead press (barbell or
    dumbbell), and the yates row or any chest-supported row machine. I'd also add a dumbell or barbell
    shrug and kind of ab work.

    Front squat:

    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFrontSquat.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/FrontSquat.html

    Romanian deadlifts:

    http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/rdl.htm

    Yates row:

    http://www.rustyiron.net/videos.htm

    To avoid hypertrophy and work mainly on strength stick to many sets of few reps, say 5x5 or 6x4
    (sets x reps), and be careful if you're hypercaloric, like say between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

    IMHO doing your weight training before riding is preferable because your ATP energy system will
    easily recharged, but because cycling stresses all three energy systems you're going to be hurting
    in the gym if you ride first unless it's a purely aerobic ride.

    Lift year round also. Look to make strength gains in the off-season and then hold onto them until
    the next off-season by hitting the gym for at least one hard workout once a week.

    --

    Scott Johnson "be a man ,stop looking for handouts , eat ,lift and shut your mouth" -John Carlo

  8. I haven't seen all the studies but some studies show that people that exercise outdoors seem to stay
    with it longer. Gyms have come a long way and high tech gyms seem to hold members longer but sooner
    or later people get bored and opt for outdoor exercise. Gyms are great when few alternatives are
    available. If you live in big cities flatlands where the landscape is not pretty then gyms look
    pretty good. In coastal Santa Barbara where I frequent quite often folks workout outdoors more then
    opting for gyms. There everything from hiking, biking to vollyball on the beach, rollerskating on
    the pier offers a huge incentive to get outdoors and enjoy nature while working out. Being stuck in
    a gym is not quite the ticket there since the outdoors offers so much. Since a lot of rich folks
    live there many have state of art gyms in their homes. People seem to be more into fitness on the
    coast then they are inland like the SJ valley where everything is flat, boring, and ugly. Gyms are a
    good option there. I would like to thing that people that do it outdoors do it longer for life.
    There is a certain chemistry outdoors that can't be matched indoors. I tend to agree with the
    overall fitness routine rather then gym routines strictly for cycling.

    My 2 cents.

    Bruce
    --------------------------------
    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anybody have any suggestions for gym routines for cyclist? I belong to LA Fitness, so they have a
    > good selection of machines and free weights. I'm looking for a Mon. to Fri. workout. TIA

  9. Mark Grady

    Mark Grady Guest

    The only thing in a gym that I personally have found that comes close to helping cycling is
    spinning. And that is not an indoor bike ride, but it is better than nothing. "Mark"
    > Anybody have any suggestions for gym routines for cyclist? I belong to LA Fitness, so they have a
    > good selection of machines and free weights. I'm looking for a Mon. to Fri. workout. TIA

  10. Stig

    Stig Guest

    Gym Workout:
    1)Ride bike to gym.
    2)Go for a bike ride.
    3)Ride bike home.

    Feel free to send me the money you save on gym membership & gas.

    Cheers!

  11. Norm

    Norm Guest

    > I haven't seen all the studies but some studies show that people that exercise outdoors seem to
    > stay with it longer. Gyms have come a long way and high tech gyms seem to hold members longer but
    > sooner or later people get bored and opt for outdoor exercise. Gyms are great when few
    > alternatives are available. If you live in big cities flatlands where the landscape is not pretty
    > then gyms look pretty good. In coastal Santa Barbara where I frequent quite often folks workout
    > outdoors more then opting for gyms. There everything from hiking, biking to vollyball on the
    > beach, rollerskating on the pier offers a huge incentive to get outdoors and enjoy nature while
    > working out. Being stuck in a gym is not quite the ticket there since the outdoors offers so much.
    > Since a lot of rich folks live there many have state of art gyms in their homes. People seem to be
    > more into fitness on the coast then they are inland like the SJ valley where everything is flat,
    > boring, and ugly. Gyms are a good option there. I would like to thing that people that do it
    > outdoors do it longer for life. There is a certain chemistry outdoors that can't be matched
    > indoors. I tend to agree with the overall fitness routine rather then gym routines strictly for
    > cycling.

    When I blew out my knee after the NYC marathon in 1985 I got serious about biking, bought a trainer
    and used it daily in the winter, 5,000mi years etc. Never did get into a gym/spa routine except
    business trips. Mixed in with occasional walking and swimming there's no agility problems and I'm
    into my 60s. Norm

    --
    The only real security is not in owning or possessing, not in demanding or expecting, not in hoping,
    even. Security in a relationship lies neither in looking back to what it was, nor forward to what it

  12. Dave Hansen

    Dave Hansen Guest

    "Mark Grady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The only thing in a gym that I personally have found that comes close to helping cycling is
    > spinning. And that is not an indoor bike ride, but it is better than nothing.

    Well as discussed before in here ad nauseum, Weight training can help with your explosive power,
    needed for match sprinting, and for standing kilo starts, anything else can be done on the bike for
    most normal racers/riders. Upper body strength and core strength can be improved for better bike
    handling, transfer of power and the ability to fend off contact from other riders. Dave

  13. Dave Hansen

    Dave Hansen Guest

    "Mark Grady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The only thing in a gym that I personally have found that comes close to helping cycling is
    > spinning. And that is not an indoor bike ride, but it is better than nothing.

    The other thing that a basic resistance training program can do for you is strengthen your bones,
    making them less suceptible to breakage in the evnt of a fall, (maybe something that Bartoli and
    Floyd may want to look into) Dave

  14. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On 19 Jan 2003 11:01:36 -0800, [email protected] (stig) wrote:

    >Gym Workout:
    >1)Ride bike to gym.
    >2)Go for a bike ride.
    >3)Ride bike home.

    4)Listen to everyone laugh when you "attack" one mph faster than the peloton.

    --

  15. stig wrote:

    > Gym Workout:
    > 1)Ride bike to gym.
    > 2)Go for a bike ride.
    > 3)Ride bike home.
    >
    > Feel free to send me the money you save on gym membership & gas.
    >
    > Cheers!

    Anybody ever notice how few gyms have bike parking facilies?

    I ride to my gym often, and none of the gyms in my area have racks. After complaining enough, the
    manager lets me put my bike in her office. Many places don't even have as much as a fence to lock
    the bike to.

    Barry

  16. stig wrote:

    > Gym Workout:
    > 1)Ride bike to gym.
    > 2)Go for a bike ride.
    > 3)Ride bike home.
    >
    > Feel free to send me the money you save on gym membership & gas.
    >
    > Cheers!

    4.) Try to explain girlie man upper body to women
    5.) Try to explain lack of flexibility to fit guy when purchasing high end bike.

    Barry

  17. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:17:59 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >stig wrote:
    >>
    >> Gym Workout:
    >> 1)Ride bike to gym.
    >> 2)Go for a bike ride.
    >> 3)Ride bike home.
    >>
    >> Feel free to send me the money you save on gym membership & gas.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >
    >Anybody ever notice how few gyms have bike parking facilies?

    Mine does, but probably only because it's at a college.

    Dude, they don't want you getting exercise _outside_ the gym!

    Scott Johnson "There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking
    children who go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their
    week's exercise."
    - John F. Kennedy, 1962

  18. Tim Mullin

    Tim Mullin Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > 4.) Try to explain girlie man upper body to women

    Why? Most of them are too turned on by my legs and ass to notice the rest of me looks as though I'd
    just walked out of Auschwitz.

    > 5.) Try to explain lack of flexibility to fit guy when purchasing high end bike.

    What kind of sad fuck worries about what the guy seeling him a bike thinks of his physique?

  19. Jim Spencer

    Jim Spencer Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:17:59 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anybody ever notice how few gyms have bike parking facilies?
    >
    >I ride to my gym often, and none of the gyms in my area have racks. After complaining enough, the
    >manager lets me put my bike in her office. Many places don't even have as much as a fence to lock
    >the bike to.
    >
    >Barry
    The fitness center that I go to only has one guy that I ever see ride his bike to the center. He
    rides every day, even in the winter unless there is snow on the roads. It's only about a mile to his
    house but this November he will be 90yrs old!

  20. Norm

    Norm Guest

    > The fitness center that I go to only has one guy that I ever see ride his bike to the center. He
    > rides every day, even in the winter unless there is snow on the roads. It's only about a mile to
    > his house but this November he will be 90yrs old!

    Salute! There was a guy in his mid-80s in the Tampa area that was doing triathlons and
    half-marathons, this was in the 1980s. The unfortunate part of the tale is that he was riding his
    bike in StPete and was killed by a car driven, as it happened, by an elderly woman. I'd like to
    think he went the way he wanted to. Or I'd want to, just not yet TYVM. Norm

    --
    Most persons have died before they expire--died to all earthly longings, so that the last breath is
    only, as it were, the locking of the door of the already deserted mansion. --Oliver Wendell Holmes