gyming to improve power

closesupport said:
thats pretty much very similar to what i do after accellerating, i'll sit back and pull up on the bars using my arms to generate more force on the pedals, then when i obtain my desired speed i get to drop the gear and mash out the 12 then when i begin to tire i'll drop to 14 and spin it off to try and maintain it, then agin when i achieve optimal speed returning to the 12, :D then when i require a rest i'll relax one leg pushing down and pulling up for a few minutes alternating between the pair then return to a double stroke to spin to a max speed.

You imagine you are effectively pulling or using your arms to increase the
pedal power when riding at speed in the saddle. As B. Hinault in his book
states, at most all you can do is clutch the bars. The only benefit that you
can get from arm power is when you pull yourself out of the saddle for a
bit of out of saddle riding.
The proof, using a bike on a trainer, lock the back wheel and with the
right pedal set in the 3 o'clock position or slightly past ( the area where
normal pedallers apply max pedal power ) apply that max pressure to the
stationary pedal, now try and increase that pressure by pulling with the
right arm. With the correct technique, the increase in power application
would be so great that something would have to give, equipment part or
one of your muscles. In your case, all that happens is, you pull yourself
out of the saddle.

ric_stern/RST said:
in an elite or even non-elite athlete, if you took a week off, especially on a regular basis you would detrain. having a week off is different to having a recovery week.

do you mean Paula Radcliffe... or is Paula Ratcliffe a friend of Paula Catcliffe :p

unfortunately, the Olympics weren't able to wait until she was better

ric
I KNOW IT IS STATED IF ONE SUFFERS FROM OVERTRAINING, OR COLD AND FLU, IF THE ILLNESS TAKES 2WEEKS TO RECOVER, THEN THAT PERIOD SHOULD BE DOUBLED FOR COMPLETE RECOVERY.

PLUS 1 DAY OFF A WEEK IS NOT ENOUGH A REST PERIOD, UNLESS ONE USES STEROIDS TO BOOST RECOVERY, NOONE CAN GO ALL OUT 110% INDEFFINATELY, YOU WANT TO OVERTRAIN GO AHEAD.

BUT ITS MORE OF ONE WEEK OFF, 1 WEEK LIGHT SPINNING AND BACK UPTO PERFORMANCE , SO ONE AVOIDS PLATEU.

and yes paula radcliffe was suffering from ilness, she wasn't 100% recovered, she was also overtrained, she didn't take on surficiant electrolytes, so yes the wall was more than likely caused by a fluid imbalance (fluid to electrolyte) its a shame really the fact that she quit. unless you have hit the wall you can't possibly understand how it feels. when people compare bonking with the wall i don't recall any similar effects.

where fluid and electrolyte imbalance is responsible for the wall in running, and glycogen stores being exhausted and depleted to cause one to suffer during cycling. my experience of the onset of the wall was much pain in calfs shins feet. I felt for paula that day, i could imagine what she was going through, the backs of her knees the tendons would have been in excruciating pain, her shins and calfs would have felt like the oxygen and blood supply had been stopped.

have you ever tyed a piece of string tight around a finger to stop circulation, after a while the finger begins to hurt, imagine that feeling from your quads down, so if fluid and electrolyte imbalance ain't corrected, more and more lactic is formed and one is forced to stop.

my partner and others, i recall on a number of occassions claiming that paula stopped and didn't complete her marathon because she was soft. that isn't the case...........................

n crowley said:
You imagine you are effectively pulling or using your arms to increase the
pedal power when riding at speed in the saddle. As B. Hinault in his book
states, at most all you can do is clutch the bars. The only benefit that you
can get from arm power is when you pull yourself out of the saddle for a
bit of out of saddle riding.
The proof, using a bike on a trainer, lock the back wheel and with the
right pedal set in the 3 o'clock position or slightly past ( the area where
normal pedallers apply max pedal power ) apply that max pressure to the
stationary pedal, now try and increase that pressure by pulling with the
right arm. With the correct technique, the increase in power application
would be so great that something would have to give, equipment part or
one of your muscles. In your case, all that happens is, you pull yourself
out of the saddle.
NO! your attempting to pull yourself back down into the saddle with every pedal stroke.

when your accelerating, lean above your bars, on your downstroke, pull hard up on the bar, you'll probably find that you generate alot more power and the back wheel will more than likely spinn or bounce' imagine you weigh 11st, pulling down on the bars will increase ones body weight, if you can offer an additional 200lbs force pulling down on the bar you have just increase your body weight. so now you have the ability to apply an additional force to the pedals.

closesupport said:
I KNOW IT IS STATED IF ONE SUFFERS FROM OVERTRAINING, OR COLD AND FLU, IF THE ILLNESS TAKES 2WEEKS TO RECOVER, THEN THAT PERIOD SHOULD BE DOUBLED FOR COMPLETE RECOVERY.

And? your point is?

PLUS 1 DAY OFF A WEEK IS NOT ENOUGH A REST PERIOD, UNLESS ONE USES STEROIDS TO BOOST RECOVERY, NOONE CAN GO ALL OUT 110% INDEFFINATELY, YOU WANT TO OVERTRAIN GO AHEAD.

i didn't say there wouldn't be a recovery period, i said you wouldn't have 7 days off. you'd detrain.

turn YOUR CAPS OFF!

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
And? your point is?

i didn't say there wouldn't be a recovery period, i said you wouldn't have 7 days off. you'd detrain.

turn YOUR CAPS OFF!

ric
not over several days, not enough to prevent you reaching peak within 1 or 2 days of light spinning - heavy training.

closesupport said:
NO! your attempting to pull yourself back down into the saddle with every pedal stroke.

when your accelerating, lean above your bars, on your downstroke, pull hard up on the bar, you'll probably find that you generate alot more power and the back wheel will more than likely spinn or bounce' imagine you weigh 11st, pulling down on the bars will increase ones body weight, if you can offer an additional 200lbs force pulling down on the bar you have just increase your body weight. so now you have the ability to apply an additional force to the pedals.

In your earlier message you were referring to what you did when you had
finished accelerating. What you refer to now is the action during acceleration.
Could you keep that up for the duration of a 25 m TT. Test it on the trainer
with the test I mentioned above and let me know what the increased power
felt like. Remember, you are seated in the saddle not lying over the
handlebars like G Obree and be careful with your back, any advantage from
attempting to pull on the bars puts the lower back under increased strain
when you are using the incorrect technique as you are doing.

n crowley said:
In your earlier message you were referring to what you did when you had
finished accelerating. What you refer to now is the action during acceleration.
Could you keep that up for the duration of a 25 m TT. Test it on the trainer
with the test I mentioned above and let me know what the increased power
felt like. Remember, you are seated in the saddle not lying over the
handlebars like G Obree and be careful with your back, any advantage from
attempting to pull on the bars puts the lower back under increased strain
when you are using the incorrect technique as you are doing.
its exactly the same as i do when i'm riding, i can do it at 30+ i used to ride like that all the time when racing BMX's amongst friends, i only use scoop bars. for some reason i can't generate anywhere as much power using drop bars. its hard to explain. but with the incorporation a slight rocking motion from side to side.

as for 25miles no i only do it to get above my desired speed so i can comfortably drop to around 24/25mph then pick it back up to 35 - 40, then begin to drop to the speed i so desire, i would'nt ride like that over 25m, i prefare getting upto speed and slowly dropping to my pickup marker of 25mph then back at 40'ish, its back into aero and slowly drop in speed and recover at around 25mph with one leg intervals giving each leg a break over a period of time maybe 10/15 revelutions per leg this enables me to maintain 25mph until i feel each leg is adequately recovered. then its back up to speed.

is that how G obree rides, i have no idea.

ed073 said:
you got own3d pal!

Nicely done Ric....:)
your idea of de training, the idea is to prevent plateu, otherwords to prevent you hitting that point in training where you don't seem to progress any further, the rest period aids in increasing the rate at which you get to recover completly and avoid overtraining and the exhausted fategue feeling.

over a period of severn days there would be minimum effects to performance if at all any dependant upon your level of fitness.

not own3d, just goes to show he trolls and knows nothing about training. but gives me something to do, untill its time for work or my next ride :D

closesupport said:
your idea of de training, the idea is to prevent plateu, otherwords to prevent you hitting that point in training where you don't seem to progress any further, the rest period aids in increasing the rate at which you get to recover completly and avoid overtraining and the exhausted fategue feeling.

over a period of severn days there would be minimum effects to performance if at all any dependant upon your level of fitness.

not own3d, just goes to show he trolls and knows nothing about training. but gives me something to do, untill its time for work or my next ride :D

I've read this three times and still can't understand it.

:confused: :confused:

But you did get own3d champ, face it.

ed073 said:
I've read this three times and still can't understand it.

:confused: :confused:

But you did get own3d champ, face it.
by the argumentative shite he is, nah! i'm bored passing the time. you want me to write the full thing on recovery, as carmicheal states, he is probably a little better with words than i am.

like with the thing about iodine, i'll get bored with him eventually.:D like pedalling at the speed of cyclist, drafting off them, i'll get bored and move onto something faster......

closesupport said:

as a sports scientist and professional coach who works with pro riders to recreational level cyclists i'm well aware of the idea of recovery to promote improvement in performance. without recovery you won't progress.

unfortunately, as with many of the topics you post about you only have a basic understanding of the principles involved. no elite cyclist in their right mind would take a week off from training every 4th or 5th week. you're talking absolute rubbish.

unfortunately you appear to be rather delusional. you don't know what you're talking about and you can't write coherently whatsoever. maybe you have something interesting to say, maybe you mean something else but we're all interpreting you wrongly. i don't know. anyway, you should enroll at your local college for English lessons.

ric

closesupport said:
by the argumentative shite he is, nah! i'm bored passing the time. you want me to write the full thing on recovery, as carmicheal states, he is probably a little better with words than i am.

you appear to have read some books on training and/or sports science. unfortunately you don't appear to understand them or make any coherent points, generally writing tosh and deluding yourself that it's correct.

I suggest you pass time on a different board and stop wasting bandwidth

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
you appear to have read some books on training and/or sports science. unfortunately you don't appear to understand them or make any coherent points, generally writing tosh and deluding yourself that it's correct.

I suggest you pass time on a different board and stop wasting bandwidth

Ric
Go suck on a tail pipe! maybe you'll understand how it feels the next time your blowing hot air. you work with them, I ride and what i know to work does, what is your average speed over 65miles for instance?. your max speed on the flat or the power you can generate at a max with your overal cadenance....

where are you Ric...
you wouldn't happen to be in the UK would you.

I could do with a race, just to proove a point or an arorgant irratating training partner just to drop on longer rides and out perform durning training rides and sessions.

however, i do agree that i ain't to good with english or explaining myself very well. but i can't be bothered going to college, cost to much money takes up to much time.

closesupport said:
Go suck on a tail pipe! maybe you'll understand how it feels the next time your blowing hot air. you work with them, I ride and what i know to work does, what is your average speed over 65miles for instance?. your max speed on the flat or the power you can generate at a max with your overal cadenance....

where are you Ric...
you wouldn't happen to be in the UK would you.

I could do with a race, just to proove a point

do you randomly mix your words on purpose? what is candenance?

yes, i'm in sunny south Wales, as the location states.

there would be no point in me mentioning my stats, it's obvious you'd be able to beat them with your average power of 370 W over 3 hrs. no point you racing either as you'd beat everyone else too. Hahahaha!

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
do you randomly mix your words on purpose? what is candenance?

yes, i'm in sunny south Wales, as the location states.

there would be no point in me mentioning my stats, it's obvious you'd be able to beat them with your average power of 370 W over 3 hrs. no point you racing either as you'd beat everyone else too. Hahahaha!

ric
there you go again with making a point of my english Cadence
rather you happy now.

you have nothing to say ric, and your saying it far to loud. although i probably wouldn't beat everyone, but it would be fun trying :D, unfortunately i'll never get the opertunity to.

ric_stern/RST said:
I was in France last week, they have a better command of the English language than you. I think "little better" maybe an understatement of huge proportions.

ric
lol.... i agree, speaking english is really all i need to know, not to articulate either but, i can read and i can ride.

The guy I knew experimented with both variants but I wish I'd had the sense to adopt the same system (or something similar). It's generally agreed that most athletes overtrain - a trend that's been going on for years. We all naturally assume that if A is riding 2 hours a day and B rides 4 hours a day, B will make more progress. But it's been pointed out that much of this overtraining is a result of steroid use.
However the case may be, you should have seen how this guy trained when he wasn't taking his fourth week off. Moreover, everybody though he used steroids but he was clean as a whistle, aerobically fit and with very low body fat. Ask yourself, how many people really train hard? How many folks know what the pain barrier involves or how to push through it?
I don't have any problem with a light week instead of total time off but it's always very hard to curb enthusiasm when you enjoy your sport.

ric_stern/RST said:
in an elite or even non-elite athlete, if you took a week off, especially on a regular basis you would detrain. having a week off is different to having a recovery week.

do you mean Paula Radcliffe... or is Paula Ratcliffe a friend of Paula Catcliffe :p

unfortunately, the Olympics weren't able to wait until she was better

ric