gyming to improve power

ric_stern/RST said:
I don't know where you've come up with such an idea, but most athletes do NOT overtrain. I'd guess that very few people overtrain.

ric
Blah blah blah di blah, you wouldn't know ric, your not an athlete are you, you coach don't you, athletes have big cahoonies and make many sacrafices to accomplish there goals, so yes lots of them probably do overtrain.

No research required to know that. still nothing constructive to say i see, but still saying it far to loud.

i agree it is hard to take time off, especially once your into your routine, light rides easy rides i say, its always a good thing to have a little time off. yes ric "we know you disagree." I don't like light training, i enjoy sprinting and going as fast as i can when ever i ride, usually turns into a race against the clock and if i feel i can do more then i will.

closesupport said:
Blah blah blah di blah, you wouldn't know ric, your not an athlete are you, you coach don't you, athletes have big cahoonies and make many sacrafices to accomplish there goals, so yes lots of them probably do overtrain.

i do race. lots of them do not overtrain. people might over reach more regularly, but there isn't a majority who overtrain.

No research required to know that. still nothing constructive to say i see, but still saying it far to loud.

if you don't like it, don't bother coming here. ok?

i agree it is hard to take time off, especially once your into your routine, light rides easy rides i say, its always a good thing to have a little time off. yes ric "we know you disagree." I don't like light training, i enjoy sprinting and going as fast as i can when ever i ride, usually turns into a race against the clock.

obviously, not only can you not write, you appear to have difficulties with reading comprehension too. i didn't say that athletes shouldn't have recovery periods i said that they didn't have whole weeks off on a regular basis.

ric

closesupport said:

i agree it is hard to take time off, especially once your into your routine, light rides easy rides i say, its always a good thing to have a little time off. yes ric "we know you disagree." I don't like light training, i enjoy sprinting and going as fast as i can when ever i ride, usually turns into a race against the clock and if i feel i can do more then i will.

I'm trying to follow this thread but struggling ......

closesupport - you seem confused with your ideas about training cycles. I really think you need to read something like Cyclists Training Bible - by Joe Friel. Its not perfect but it provides a very good explanation of training periodization........then maybe you'll understand better what Ric and others are trying to point out..... and you'll then be abel to reach 400W (ho, ho ,ho)

ric_stern/RST said:
I'd guess that very few people overtrain.

If by "people" you mean anyone, athletic or not, then you're probably right. If by "people" you mean serious recreational or professional athletes, I would have to "guess" that you are wrong.

Do you distinguish between overreaching and overtraining?

antoineg said:
If by "people" you mean anyone, athletic or not, then you're probably right. If by "people" you mean serious recreational or professional athletes, I would have to "guess" that you are wrong.

Do you distinguish between overreaching and overtraining?

by "people" i mean anyone who competes in sport. currently, overtraining or unexplained underperformance syndrome isn't well understood, due to a lack of people having it. when studies have been performed to get people overtrained the people conducting studies have failed even though training loads have been e.g., doubled.

when you overreach and recover your fitness increases quite rapidly. when you overtrain you stay unrecovered for long periods of time.

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
by "people" i mean anyone who competes in sport. currently, overtraining or unexplained underperformance syndrome isn't well understood, due to a lack of people having it. when studies have been performed to get people overtrained the people conducting studies have failed even though training loads have been e.g., doubled.

when you overreach and recover your fitness increases quite rapidly. when you overtrain you stay unrecovered for long periods of time.

ric

Care to quote one of the studies you love so much?

ric_stern/RST said:
why not search for them yourself?

ric

LOL -- you can't have it both ways. You can't say "studies prove that you are wrong" and then not back it up with the proof.

So, back it up. Make sure to present a balanced report of the studies, since you are a sports scientist who must be concerned about impartiality and truth, correct?

antoineg said:
LOL -- you can't have it both ways. You can't say "studies prove that you are wrong" and then not back it up with the proof.

So, back it up. Make sure to present a balanced report of the studies, since you are a sports scientist who must be concerned about impartiality and truth, correct?

in which case you'll have to wait until i have time to write such a paper

ric

gooders said:
I'm trying to follow this thread but struggling ......

closesupport - you seem confused with your ideas about training cycles. I really think you need to read something like Cyclists Training Bible - by Joe Friel. Its not perfect but it provides a very good explanation of training periodization........then maybe you'll understand better what Ric and others are trying to point out..... and you'll then be abel to reach 400W (ho, ho ,ho)
how many metres per second are covered at 35-38mph, gearing 53x15, what would the power output be there on a flat asphalt road surface and what would the cadence have to be to achieve the above speed?????

ric_stern/RST said:
in which case you'll have to wait until i have time to write such a paper

In which case your whole argument falls apart. Sucks to have to bang the drum so loudly for peer-reviewed research all the time, only to find on occassion that there is no drum there?

antoineg said:
In which case your whole argument falls apart. Sucks to have to bang the drum so loudly for peer-reviewed research all the time, only to find on occassion that there is no drum there?

writing an article takes some period of time, or do you expect that it would magically be written instantaneously through the power of thought. much as i'd like to sit down and write an article i have far more pressing work to do. hence the reason i suggested you go and look up the research

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
writing an article takes some period of time, or do you expect that it would magically be written instantaneously through the power of thought. much as i'd like to sit down and write an article i have far more pressing work to do. hence the reason i suggested you go and look up the research

ric
more pressing work, you mean belittling other peoples ideas, for improving and making cycling a little more fun and possibly finding a method that works for them, only to be discouraged by you?

or is it a matter of if more people ride, and more people improve, you have more competition to beat; then i agree then maybe you would have reason to attempt to discourage others from attempting other methods than cycling.

closesupport said:
more pressing work, you mean belittling other peoples ideas, for improving and making cycling a little more fun and possibly finding a method that works for them, only to be discouraged by you?

or is it a matter of if more people ride, and more people improve, you have more competition to beat; then i agree then maybe you would have reason to attempt to discourage others from attempting other methods than cycling.

no i have work that needs to be done within certain deadlines.

i wouldn't discourage anyone from beating me

ric

closesupport said:
how many metres per second are covered at 35-38mph, gearing 53x15, what would the power output be there on a flat asphalt road surface and what would the cadence have to be to achieve the above speed?????

to convert mph to m/s first convert mph to km/hr (multiply by 1.6x) and then divide by 3.6.

unfortunately, you can't ascertain power with the data presented, as it requires other info (e.g., CdA, body mass, environmental and topographical conditions etc)

ric

Its almost 5 years since the last post in this thread, has opinion changed?

regards

Apart from my carrying my kid upstairs, I don't lift anything heavier than a 24pack of beer....

... some do otherwise.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDawlrIeaVM"]YouTube - Lance Armstrongs Strength Training Workout[/nomedia]

Then again, my physio keeps telling me to do stuff like this.

Lifting helps with my muscular stiffness. It also increases testosterone production. These are some points someone may want to consider before simply looking at gyming for 'power.'

Here's an excellent anecdote:

I've been sprint training all year. Stopped weight lifting in the spring, and only do pushups/pullups occasionally now.

Peak wattage (1,5,10 second) has gone up and is at all time best right at this moment.

I really wish deadlifts and such were much more transferable to cycling, but I just don't see the evidence, even for the sprinter.