Gyro vs Stratus

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Kelly, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    A small group of us bent riders typically ride about a 25-35 mile moderately hilly loop each Sunday
    that weather is permitting. I rode a Gyro the previous 2 rides and was really very impressed. I'm
    5'7" and found that the Gyro worked very well for me even at stop signs/lights. Perhaps the most
    revealing thing was the fact that after a very short adjustment period, I was very comfortable on
    the Gyro. Secondly, for me at least, I could climb quite well on it and my speed was also very good.
    I felt quite aero on it, seat pin in the 5th hole. One of our faster rider even remarked that I was
    noticeable faster on the Gyro than other bikes I had ridden in his presents.

    The first time I had ridden a Strada I was really uncomfortable and unsteady. Perhaps due in part
    because I was riding with an unknown group in an unfamiliar area and the gearing was to high for the
    hills. After the success with the Gyro I was excited to try the Strada again. Thus yesterday I rode
    the Strada and was more comfortable and steady than before but not to the level of the Gyro. I
    started tweaking the seat recline on the way back to the shop and by the time I got back I was
    getting pretty comfortable on it, think I had it too far back for me, seat pin originally in 5th
    hole and finally to 7th hole. Darn now I must ride it again to see how the dialing in helps. The
    Strada really puts me on my toes at a stop. I notice it more at stop signs/lights were you have your
    right foot cocked for the launch. Now I'll have to wait until we have weather suitable for a ride
    before I'll know if I can get comfortable with the Strada. Are there anyother hight challenged
    riders out there that have experimented with the Strada extensively. Kelly.

    Tags:

  2. Harv

    Harv Guest

    When you were on the gyro, didn't you find the onions and yogurt sauce a bit messy? I think I'd
    rather ride a Giro. :eek:) FWIW, the Stratus is made by RANS, the Strada is made by Bachetta. They are
    much different configurations.

    "Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A small group of us bent riders typically ride about a 25-35 mile moderately hilly loop each
    > Sunday that weather is permitting. I rode a Gyro the previous 2 rides and was really very
    > impressed. I'm 5'7" and found that the Gyro worked very well for me even at stop signs/lights.
    > Perhaps the most revealing thing was the fact that after a very short adjustment period, I was
    > very comfortable on the Gyro. Secondly, for me at least, I could climb quite well on it and my
    > speed was also very good. I felt quite aero on it, seat pin in the 5th hole. One of our faster
    > rider even remarked that I was noticeable faster on the Gyro than other bikes I had ridden in his
    > presents.
    >
    > The first time I had ridden a Strada I was really uncomfortable and unsteady. Perhaps due in part
    > because I was riding with an unknown group in an unfamiliar area and the gearing was to high for
    > the hills. After the success with the Gyro I was excited to try the Strada again. Thus yesterday I
    > rode the Strada and was more comfortable and steady than before but not to the level of the Gyro.
    > I started tweaking the seat recline on the way back to the shop and by the time I got back I was
    > getting pretty comfortable on it, think I had it too far back for me, seat pin originally in 5th
    > hole and finally to 7th hole. Darn now I must ride it again to see how the dialing in helps. The
    > Strada really puts me on my toes at a stop. I notice it more at stop signs/lights were you have
    > your right foot cocked for the launch. Now I'll have to wait until we have weather suitable for a
    > ride before I'll know if I can get comfortable with the Strada. Are there anyother hight
    > challenged riders out there that have experimented with the Strada extensively. Kelly.

  3. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Kelly,
    I am also 5' 7" and had a Giro for 2 weeks and didn't like it, I was really
    slow on it compared to my V-2 so I returned it to LBS.
    I also tried the Strada when it first came out and had the same problem with
    the seat height. I liked the ride and handling but couldn't deal with the
    stop and starting.
    Then the Corsa came out and I was surprised to find that I fit this just
    fine. the difference I guess is the hardshell seat ,it's not as thick as
    the padded seat and puts the seat a little closer to the ground. I'm not
    sure,without checking specs ,but I think the Strada has 700 wheelsand the
    Corsa has 650's which would also make it shorter.
    The Corsa is a little more expensive ,but the components are better and the
    hardshell seat is the best way to go IMO.
    Ben fox
    "Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A small group of us bent riders typically ride about a 25-35 mile moderately hilly loop each
    > Sunday that weather is permitting. I rode a Gyro the previous 2 rides and was really very
    > impressed. I'm 5'7" and found that the Gyro worked very well for me even at stop signs/lights.
    > Perhaps the most revealing thing was the fact that after a very short adjustment period, I was
    > very comfortable on the Gyro. Secondly, for me at least, I could climb quite well on it and my
    > speed was also very good. I felt quite aero on it, seat pin in the 5th hole. One of our faster
    > rider even remarked that I was noticeable faster on the Gyro than other bikes I had ridden in his
    > presents.
    >
    > The first time I had ridden a Strada I was really uncomfortable and unsteady. Perhaps due in part
    > because I was riding with an unknown group in an unfamiliar area and the gearing was to high for
    > the hills. After the success with the Gyro I was excited to try the Strada again. Thus yesterday I
    > rode the Strada and was more comfortable and steady than before but not to the level of the Gyro.
    > I started tweaking the seat recline on the way back to the shop and by the time I got back I was
    > getting pretty comfortable on it, think I had it too far back for me, seat pin originally in 5th
    > hole and finally to 7th hole. Darn now I must ride it again to see how the dialing in helps. The
    > Strada really puts me on my toes at a stop. I notice it more at stop signs/lights were you have
    > your right foot cocked for the launch. Now I'll have to wait until we have weather suitable for a
    > ride before I'll know if I can get comfortable with the Strada. Are there anyother hight
    > challenged riders out there that have experimented with the Strada extensively. Kelly.

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    harv wrote:

    > When you were on the gyro, didn't you find the onions and yogurt sauce a bit messy? I think I'd
    > rather ride a Giro. :eek:) FWIW, the Stratus is made by RANS, the Strada is made by Bachetta. They
    > are much different configurations.

    The Strada is made by Bacchetta.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ben Fox wrote:

    > ... Then the Corsa came out and I was surprised to find that I fit this just fine. the difference
    > I guess is the hardshell seat ,it's not as thick as the padded seat and puts the seat a little
    > closer to the ground. I'm not sure,without checking specs ,but I think the Strada has 700
    > wheelsand the Corsa has 650's which would also make it shorter....

    Ben,

    The stock Strada has ISO 559-mm wheels, while the stock Corsa has ISO 571-mm wheels.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  6. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Thanks Tom,
    I checked the specs after I wrote the response,even so the Corsa seat is
    lower the ground .
    Ben fox
    "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ben Fox wrote:
    >
    > > ... Then the Corsa came out and I was surprised to find that I fit this just fine. the
    > > difference I guess is the hardshell seat ,it's not as thick
    as
    > > the padded seat and puts the seat a little closer to the ground. I'm not sure,without checking
    > > specs ,but I think the Strada has 700 wheelsand
    the
    > > Corsa has 650's which would also make it shorter....
    >
    > Ben,
    >
    > The stock Strada has ISO 559-mm wheels, while the stock Corsa has ISO 571-mm wheels.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  7. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Oops, right you are Tom. Here's the c I forgot. "c".
    "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > harv wrote:
    >
    > > When you were on the gyro, didn't you find the onions and yogurt sauce
    > > bit messy? I think I'd rather ride a Giro. :eek:) FWIW, the Stratus is made
    by
    > > RANS, the Strada is made by Bachetta. They are much different configurations.
    >
    > The Strada is made by Bacchetta.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  8. Ken Kramer

    Ken Kramer Guest

    "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When you were on the gyro, didn't you find the onions and yogurt sauce a bit messy? I think I'd
    > rather ride a Giro. :eek:) FWIW, the Stratus is made
    by
    > RANS, the Strada is made by Bachetta. They are much different configurations.

    BTW, it is Bacchetta. :eek:)

  9. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    BTW, does anyone know the overall length of a size small Giro?

    johnriley1 (at) rogers (dot) com

  10. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    [email protected] (john riley) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > BTW, does anyone know the overall length of a size small Giro?
    >
    > johnriley1 (at) rogers (dot) com

    Sixty-nine inches. Only two inches longer than a Rocket. Hmm. Anyone ever put a RANS seat on a Giro?
    (The curves in a Giro seat don't work very well for me.)

  11. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    [email protected] (john riley) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (john riley) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > BTW, does anyone know the overall length of a size small Giro?
    > >
    > > johnriley1 (at) rogers (dot) com
    >
    > Sixty-nine inches. Only two inches longer than a Rocket. Hmm. Anyone ever put a RANS seat on a
    > Giro? (The curves in a Giro seat don't work very well for me.)

    I've noticed that tall riders or those with long torsos do have occasional problems with the top of
    the Bacchetta mesh seat digging into their back. For everyone else it is a point of strength as they
    can push their shoulders into the seat for sprinting and climbing. Some can actually raise their
    butt off the seat base while bracing their body, shoulders to pedals, for short distances. Kelly

  12. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    In my dreams, I am tall. In reality, I am 5'6". But for some reason, any seat that has a significant forward curve at the top is a problem for me, including car seats. The worst is the back seat of the Lincoln Town (airport) Car. I have to sit sideways on that thing to make it home from the airport!

    Too bad about the Giro seat though, because otherwise the small Giro fits me like a glove.

    I had a 52 mile test ride on a Giro. Couldn't really tell if I was faster or climbed better. I am not sure a higher BB really allows me to climb better. I am going to test the climbing theory at greater length with a Rans Rocket.

    John Riley

  13. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Tom Sherman beat you to the punch! Here's a c for you too. "C"
    news:W3%[email protected]...