Gyro vs Stratus

Kelly

Guest
A small group of us bent riders typically ride about a 25-35 mile moderately hilly loop each Sunday
that weather is permitting. I rode a Gyro the previous 2 rides and was really very impressed. I'm
5'7" and found that the Gyro worked very well for me even at stop signs/lights. Perhaps the most
revealing thing was the fact that after a very short adjustment period, I was very comfortable on
the Gyro. Secondly, for me at least, I could climb quite well on it and my speed was also very good.
I felt quite aero on it, seat pin in the 5th hole. One of our faster rider even remarked that I was
noticeable faster on the Gyro than other bikes I had ridden in his presents.

The first time I had ridden a Strada I was really uncomfortable and unsteady. Perhaps due in part
because I was riding with an unknown group in an unfamiliar area and the gearing was to high for the
hills. After the success with the Gyro I was excited to try the Strada again. Thus yesterday I rode
the Strada and was more comfortable and steady than before but not to the level of the Gyro. I
started tweaking the seat recline on the way back to the shop and by the time I got back I was
getting pretty comfortable on it, think I had it too far back for me, seat pin originally in 5th
hole and finally to 7th hole. Darn now I must ride it again to see how the dialing in helps. The
Strada really puts me on my toes at a stop. I notice it more at stop signs/lights were you have your
right foot cocked for the launch. Now I'll have to wait until we have weather suitable for a ride
before I'll know if I can get comfortable with the Strada. Are there anyother hight challenged
riders out there that have experimented with the Strada extensively. Kelly.

When you were on the gyro, didn't you find the onions and yogurt sauce a bit messy? I think I'd
rather ride a Giro. :eek:) FWIW, the Stratus is made by RANS, the Strada is made by Bachetta. They are
much different configurations.

"Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A small group of us bent riders typically ride about a 25-35 mile moderately hilly loop each
> Sunday that weather is permitting. I rode a Gyro the previous 2 rides and was really very
> impressed. I'm 5'7" and found that the Gyro worked very well for me even at stop signs/lights.
> Perhaps the most revealing thing was the fact that after a very short adjustment period, I was
> very comfortable on the Gyro. Secondly, for me at least, I could climb quite well on it and my
> speed was also very good. I felt quite aero on it, seat pin in the 5th hole. One of our faster
> rider even remarked that I was noticeable faster on the Gyro than other bikes I had ridden in his
> presents.
>
> The first time I had ridden a Strada I was really uncomfortable and unsteady. Perhaps due in part
> because I was riding with an unknown group in an unfamiliar area and the gearing was to high for
> the hills. After the success with the Gyro I was excited to try the Strada again. Thus yesterday I
> rode the Strada and was more comfortable and steady than before but not to the level of the Gyro.
> I started tweaking the seat recline on the way back to the shop and by the time I got back I was
> getting pretty comfortable on it, think I had it too far back for me, seat pin originally in 5th
> hole and finally to 7th hole. Darn now I must ride it again to see how the dialing in helps. The
> Strada really puts me on my toes at a stop. I notice it more at stop signs/lights were you have
> your right foot cocked for the launch. Now I'll have to wait until we have weather suitable for a
> ride before I'll know if I can get comfortable with the Strada. Are there anyother hight
> challenged riders out there that have experimented with the Strada extensively. Kelly.

Kelly,
I am also 5' 7" and had a Giro for 2 weeks and didn't like it, I was really
slow on it compared to my V-2 so I returned it to LBS.
I also tried the Strada when it first came out and had the same problem with
the seat height. I liked the ride and handling but couldn't deal with the
stop and starting.
Then the Corsa came out and I was surprised to find that I fit this just
fine. the difference I guess is the hardshell seat ,it's not as thick as
the padded seat and puts the seat a little closer to the ground. I'm not
sure,without checking specs ,but I think the Strada has 700 wheelsand the
Corsa has 650's which would also make it shorter.
The Corsa is a little more expensive ,but the components are better and the
hardshell seat is the best way to go IMO.
Ben fox

harv wrote:

> When you were on the gyro, didn't you find the onions and yogurt sauce a bit messy? I think I'd
> rather ride a Giro. :eek:) FWIW, the Stratus is made by RANS, the Strada is made by Bachetta. They
> are much different configurations.

The Strada is made by Bacchetta.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Ben Fox wrote:

> ... Then the Corsa came out and I was surprised to find that I fit this just fine. the difference
> I guess is the hardshell seat ,it's not as thick as the padded seat and puts the seat a little
> closer to the ground. I'm not sure,without checking specs ,but I think the Strada has 700
> wheelsand the Corsa has 650's which would also make it shorter....

Ben,

The stock Strada has ISO 559-mm wheels, while the stock Corsa has ISO 571-mm wheels.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Thanks Tom,
I checked the specs after I wrote the response,even so the Corsa seat is
lower the ground .
Ben fox
"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ben Fox wrote:
>
> > ... Then the Corsa came out and I was surprised to find that I fit this just fine. the
> > difference I guess is the hardshell seat ,it's not as thick
as
> > the padded seat and puts the seat a little closer to the ground. I'm not sure,without checking
> > specs ,but I think the Strada has 700 wheelsand
the
> > Corsa has 650's which would also make it shorter....
>
> Ben,
>
> The stock Strada has ISO 559-mm wheels, while the stock Corsa has ISO 571-mm wheels.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Oops, right you are Tom. Here's the c I forgot. "c".
"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> harv wrote:
>
> > When you were on the gyro, didn't you find the onions and yogurt sauce
> > bit messy? I think I'd rather ride a Giro. :eek:) FWIW, the Stratus is made
by
> > RANS, the Strada is made by Bachetta. They are much different configurations.
>
> The Strada is made by Bacchetta.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

"harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When you were on the gyro, didn't you find the onions and yogurt sauce a bit messy? I think I'd
> rather ride a Giro. :eek:) FWIW, the Stratus is made
by
> RANS, the Strada is made by Bachetta. They are much different configurations.

BTW, it is Bacchetta. :eek:)

BTW, does anyone know the overall length of a size small Giro?

johnriley1 (at) rogers (dot) com

[email protected] (john riley) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> BTW, does anyone know the overall length of a size small Giro?
>
> johnriley1 (at) rogers (dot) com

Sixty-nine inches. Only two inches longer than a Rocket. Hmm. Anyone ever put a RANS seat on a Giro?
(The curves in a Giro seat don't work very well for me.)

[email protected] (john riley) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (john riley) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > BTW, does anyone know the overall length of a size small Giro?
> >
> > johnriley1 (at) rogers (dot) com
>
> Sixty-nine inches. Only two inches longer than a Rocket. Hmm. Anyone ever put a RANS seat on a
> Giro? (The curves in a Giro seat don't work very well for me.)

I've noticed that tall riders or those with long torsos do have occasional problems with the top of
the Bacchetta mesh seat digging into their back. For everyone else it is a point of strength as they
can push their shoulders into the seat for sprinting and climbing. Some can actually raise their
butt off the seat base while bracing their body, shoulders to pedals, for short distances. Kelly

Originally posted by Kelly

I've noticed that tall riders or those with long torsos do have occasional problems with the top of
the Bacchetta mesh seat digging into their back. For everyone else it is a point of strength as they
can push their shoulders into the seat for sprinting and climbing. Some can actually raise their
butt off the seat base while bracing their body, shoulders to pedals, for short distances. Kelly

In my dreams, I am tall. In reality, I am 5'6". But for some reason, any seat that has a significant forward curve at the top is a problem for me, including car seats. The worst is the back seat of the Lincoln Town (airport) Car. I have to sit sideways on that thing to make it home from the airport!

Too bad about the Giro seat though, because otherwise the small Giro fits me like a glove.

I had a 52 mile test ride on a Giro. Couldn't really tell if I was faster or climbed better. I am not sure a higher BB really allows me to climb better. I am going to test the climbing theory at greater length with a Rans Rocket.

John Riley

Tom Sherman beat you to the punch! Here's a c for you too. "C"
news:W3%[email protected]...