h*lmets in H"£fords

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rupert Smith, Feb 24, 2003.

  1. Rupert Smith

    Rupert Smith Guest

    I know it is very bad practice to mention either helmets or Halfords on this group and I would
    normally be the last person to recommend Halfords to anyone... however it seems they are doing very
    good deals on new helments at the moment. I bought a new Bell helmet there yesterday (in a lovely
    orange colour so everyone can see me coming!) and it was on the shelf reduced from £56 to £36 which
    I thought was quite good. When I got to the till for some reason they only charged me £27.49 for it.
    Not sure if I just got lucky and there was some sort of mistake in my favour (this was the Reading
    Halfords superstore) or if they genuinely are that cheap. Anyway if anyone is looking for a new
    helmet it seems like the place to go at the moment.

    Rupert

    Tags:

  2. Halfords are okay for helmets. Quality control of much other stuff can be very variable, but for
    helmets, they are fine, choice wise & price wise for everyday cycling IME

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Davep

    Davep Guest

    Rupert Smith wrote:

    > I know it is very bad practice to mention either helmets or Halfords on this group and I would
    > normally be the last person to recommend Halfords to anyone... however it seems they are doing
    > very good deals on new helments at the moment. I bought a new Bell helmet there yesterday (in a
    > lovely orange colour so everyone can see me coming!) and it was on the shelf reduced from £56 to
    > £36 which I thought was quite good. When I got to the till for some reason they only charged me
    > £27.49 for it. Not sure if I just got lucky and there was some sort of mistake in my favour (this
    > was the Reading Halfords superstore) or if they genuinely are that cheap. Anyway if anyone is
    > looking for a new helmet it seems like the place to go at the moment.
    >
    > Rupert

    Also worth considering at the moment is a Selev Alien from http://www.probikekit.com/ ( see left of
    mainpage) recently reduced to 29.40 pounds , I bought one 3 weeks ago for 36.00pds after doing a urc
    google search . I found many useful comments including handy info from pete biggs . My 59cm head
    fits the adjustable 56-60cm size perfectly. I turned up for a Sunday run after the purchase to find
    five out of the ten riders also had Selev Aliens

    davep

  4. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:18:45 -0000, "Rupert Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I know it is very bad practice to mention either helmets or Halfords
    snip

    >£56 to £36 which I thought was quite good. When I got to the till for some reason they only charged
    >me £27.49 for it.
    snip
    >Anyway if anyone is looking for a new helmet it seems like the place to go at the moment.

    You might also try Hampshire County Council's road safety website - adult helmets are
    about 16 squid.

    Oh all right then - http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/RoadSafetyOnline/aboutus.stm

    Regards,

    John