H survey

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sam, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    helmet yourself?

    Tags:

  2. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    I find that I "feel" safer. (Probably psychological but a reason nonetheless)

    I find that when I ride off road it keeps twigs and other **** out of my face

    I can attatch lights to it, which look where i look not where the bike looks.

    I think my new helmet (Giro Animas) looks better (especially with sunglasses) than no helmet. (purely aesthetic)

    I like the fact that the visor stops rain getting in my face, and when sunny blocks the sun out to a degree, though shades are still needed.

    FWIW I haven't read any of these "surveys" and have made my own mind up having ridden both with and without helmet in the past.

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    > subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    > themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    > decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    > survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    > helmet yourself?

    I didn't use to wear one until I took up off-road riding, where I beleive they do offer benefits and
    now wear one all the time out of habit and having to put it somewhere if I am going off-road at some
    point. If I purely road cycled I might think differently.

    Tony

  4. Sam wrote:

    > I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    > subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    > themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    > decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    > survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    > helmet yourself?

    I own one which I am forced to wear on those occasional trips to the velodrome, presumably for
    insurance reasons. I don't wear it otherwise because it's too uncomfortable.

  5. Mark McN

    Mark McN Guest

    Reply to Sam
    > Obviously a personal decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a
    > lead-in to a small survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in
    > favour of wearing a helmet yourself?

    When I bought the first bike of my adult life a few years ago, a helmet was an automatic purchase -
    I didn't think about it at all. But now that I have it, I suppose there are three reasons for
    wearing it, none primarily to do with increasing my safety:

    Habit It's good at keeping the sun (and headlights) out of my eyes The cover's good at keeping
    the rain off

    I've got a floppy hat which would perform the last two functions; some time soon I'll try wearing
    that instead, and see if I cycle any differently (and if motorists treat me any differently as
    well). When my helmet reaches the end of its natural life (and come to think of it, in terms of
    safety standards, it probably already has), I doubt I'll replace it.

    --
    Mark, UK. If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find something in them to
    hang him. - Richelieu

  6. Chris Heys

    Chris Heys Guest

    On 1 Feb 2004 07:10:45 -0800, [email protected] (Sam) wrote:

    >I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    >subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    >themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    >decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    >survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    >helmet yourself?

    I wear one as it's quite comfortable and *may* save my life.

    Chris

  7. "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This is simply a lead-in to a small survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that
    > decided you in favour of wearing a helmet yourself?

    The risk of falling off, wisdom of which confirmed by actually haven fallen off hitting (fortunately
    helmeted) head... I am sure it has saved me from a serious headache....

    Rich

  8. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On 1 Feb 2004 07:10:45 -0800, [email protected] (Sam) wrote:

    >I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    >subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    >themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    >decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    >survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    >helmet yourself?

    I bought my helmet after I qualified as a teacher. I felt that I should wear a helmet to cycle to
    school as an example and role model to my pupils. I wear it on nearly all trips I make now as a
    matter of habit.

    In the last two years I have undertaken to major cycle tours. The Raid Pyreneen and Land's End to
    Lockerbie (I fell ill so I never made it to John O'Groats). During those two tours my helmet stayed
    in my rear pannier for much of the time, coming out for descents and busy roads.

  9. John Mallard

    John Mallard Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    > subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    > themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    > decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    > survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    > helmet yourself?

    Most (particularly during the winter) of my cycling is either commuting or utility, both of which
    are 100% urban. In this style I never wear a helmet. I find the baseball style cap that I have
    stolen fron one of my sons does the trick.

    On the occasions that I am out on a ride at the week end or away on a tour I am more likely to wear
    a helmet. Decending hills at 40+ on unknown surfaces seems to suggest it might be a good idea.

    --
    Cheerful Peddling John Mallard

  10. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Sam posted ...

    > I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    > subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    > themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    > decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    > survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    > helmet yourself?

    I mostly ride off-road and a helmet is mandatory for most races I participate in. I figure that if
    I should wear one while racing, then it may benefit me when not racing. I guess the speeds
    achieved off-road are mostly within the parameters at which most cycle helmets are approved to and
    tested, not to mention designed, for ... I also mainly, though not exclusively, use a 'Trials'
    motorcycle helmet for cycling .. much better, more comfortable, and stronger construction than a
    foam cycle helmet

    I don't always wear a helmet when road riding though.

    As a motorcyclist I wear a helmet all the time, on or off-road and feel quite comfortable doing so.

    I'm against compulsion to wear helmets mainly because I believe in my right to choose what, where
    and when I wear anything. It's also my responsibility for my own safety. Compulsory helmet wearing
    may make some people think they're far safer than they actually are and also think that by wearing a
    helmet they have no self-responsibility. I cannot see how this can be a 'good thing'.

    --
    Paul

  11. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a helmet yourself?

    When I took up off-road riding especially as they are mandatory for most organised events. I now
    wear one for most road cycling as it's become a habit, I don't wear one for nipping about and on the
    rare occasion I forget to don it before a longish road ride after the initial feeling of nakedness
    wears off I forget about it being absent, the same as I foret about it when wearing it. My current
    h*lmet is very comfy and the last one not bad but I've had one that was like wearing a pudding bowl
    but I thought they were meant to feel that bad so just got on with it. Anyway, it gave me another
    pleasure in life, taking the bloody thing off :)
    --
    Regards, Pete

  12. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    > subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    > themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    > decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    > survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    > helmet yourself?

    My wife, family, friends and work colleagues nag me if I don't. I understand and agree with the
    arguments against helmet use; but I just want a quiet life. None of these people are seriously into
    cycling and the arguments just bemuse them.

    Simon

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 1 Feb 2004 07:10:45 -0800, [email protected] (Sam) wrote:

    I wear one to save me from road rash on my head if I come off. My scalp already looks like a map of
    the London UNderground and I have no desire to add to my scar collection.

    Also, it's a convenient mounting point for my headtorch.

    I'm considering going back to my old woolen balaclava in the current tempertaures, though.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  14. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 1 Feb 2004 07:10:45 -0800, Sam <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a helmet yourself?

    Presuming this means why do you wear a helmet, rather than what incident caused you to start
    wearing a helmet:

    On-road, so some bastard lawyer doesn't cheat my dependants out of some moron motorist's insurance
    company's liabilities.

    Off-road I consider it is quite likely to prevent an uncomfortable injury (probably has done so, in
    fact, though the most serious injury one has probably saved me from was when a garage door attacked
    me, and no bicycles were immediately involved).

    Incidentally, I don't wear one when unicycling, even though I have knocked myself out unicycling (or
    rather, failing to, backwards, on concrete).

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  15. [email protected] (Sam) writes:

    >This is simply a lead-in to a small survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that
    >decided you in favour of wearing a helmet yourself?

    After studying the relevant research carefully I decided that it would be sensible to wear a
    helmet for downhill mountain biking, but not a silly cycle helmet, a lightweight open-face
    motorcycle helmet.

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  16. Succorso

    Succorso Guest

    "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    > subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    > themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    > decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    > survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    > helmet yourself?

    I cycle rural roads. Period. If I get hit, it'll be by a vehicle doing 40mph+ and I'll be dead - so
    I don't wear one.

    Also - I had several "situations" with stinging insects last summer, several involving a cycle
    helmet - so I've traded it in for a couple of Buffs.

    --
    Chris

  17. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Gonzalez
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On 1 Feb 2004 07:10:45 -0800, [email protected] (Sam) wrote:
    >
    >>I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    >>subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    >>themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    >>decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    >>survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    >>helmet yourself?
    >
    >I bought my helmet after I qualified as a teacher. I felt that I should wear a helmet to cycle to
    >school as an example and role model to my pupils.

    I don't wear my helmet all the time for exactly the same reason.......

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  18. Paul Luton

    Paul Luton Guest

    In message <[email protected]>
    [email protected] (Sam) wrote:
    > interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a helmet yourself?

    When some form of headcovering is needed to keep off rain, cold or excess sun I feel that I might as
    well wear a helmet in case it also provides some collision protection. Popping to the shops in
    clement weather I don't.

    Paul Luton

    --
    CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

  19. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > >I bought my helmet after I qualified as a teacher. I felt that I should wear a helmet to cycle to
    > >school as an example and role model to my pupils.
    >
    > I don't wear my helmet all the time for exactly the same reason.......

    I won't be wearing a helmet at all for exactly the same reason when I start commuting in the spring

  20. In news:[email protected],
    Sam <[email protected]> expounded sagaciously:
    > I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
    > subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
    > themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
    > decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
    > survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
    > helmet yourself?

    Non-cycling wife insists, having known someone who nutted a tree in the dark, and on regaining
    conciousness in hospital was told that if he hadn't been wearing a h***t, he wouldn't have been
    regaining conciousness. I've got used to it now.
    --

    Martin Bulmer

    Pie Conservation Threat