H survey

In the first phase of my cycling life, 1976 - 1987 I never wore a helmet, they were either
unobtainable or very heavy hot fibreglass cover ones.

I did once collide, at around 20 mph with a jay walking pedestrian and woke up in hospital. A helmet
may or may not of made any difference, it may of made it worse. My mum (I was 20 at the time) made
me get a helmet which was very uncomfortable so I only wore it once.

In the second phase of my cycling life, since 18 months ago, I always wear a helmet. This is mainly
because her indoors would give me grief if I didn't. I find my modern helmet light and comfortable
in all but the hottest weather.

In the winter I put a gortex cover on it and it keeps the rain off, with a buff or two underneath it
keeps by balding head nice and warm. It took me quite a while to discover buffs, before that my head
got very cold as I couldn't fit a hat under the helmet.

In the summer my head gets hot going up hills but it always did when I didn't wear a helmet. The
fitting pads get really smelly and you can't scratch your head when the sweat makes it itchy.

Its quite useful as an sort of open topped handbag to put gloves, buff, overshoes and keys in as I
walk from the bike shed to the showers at work.

If I wanted a 'rational' reason to wear the helmet, I would say that I enjoy riding fast downhill
and round corners, am not the best bike handler in the world and so have a small risk of sliding
down the road on my ****. The helmet may reduce scraps and skin damage on my ever balding head. But
really I wear it in winter to keep my head warm and in summer to keep her indoors sweet.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Most of us would prefer the freedom to decide for ourselves, on our own asessment of risk.

On my first cycling holiday with only 9 months cycling experience, I only deemed it necessary to
wear a helmet for 8 hours in a 14 day trip ( but that was in France). Three years later, I still
feel obliged to wear a helmet for 90% of my road riding back home.

Sarissa

[email protected] (Sam) writes:

> I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
> subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
> themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
> decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
> survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
> helmet yourself?

I wear a helmet when trying a new difficult looking off-road section for the first time, or when
riding sections which I already know to be exceptionally difficult, or when riding with children
whose parents prefer them to wear helmets. Otherwise I don't wear one.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ ;; gif ye hes forget our auld
plane Scottis quhilk your mother lerit you, ;; in tymes cuming I sall wryte to you my mind in Latin,

In news:[email protected],
Succorso <[email protected]> expounded sagaciously:

> Also - I had several "situations" with stinging insects last summer, several involving a cycle
> helmet - so I've traded it in for a couple of Buffs.

The "Stinging insect trapped in the lid" scenario has always been a bit of a fear of mine, so I use
one of those open mesh helmet covers (I call it my hairnet). It lets the air through, but filters
out the larger bugs.
--

Martin Bulmer

Pie Conservation Threat

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Sam) writes:
> interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a helmet yourself?

Last helmet I owned was when I had a motorbike in the 1980s.

I found that rather challenging: the manufacturers appear to cater for a very limited range of head
sizes, and it took some time to find one big enough, although I eventually succeeded. Fitting any
available make of full-face motorcycling helmet proved completely impossible.

Which raises the question: could the existing motorcycle-helmet law, or any other proposed helmet
law, be physically impossible for some people to comply with?

--
Nick Kew

[email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote in news:5fg0f1-o32.ln1
@webthing.com:

> Which raises the question: could the existing motorcycle-helmet law, or any other proposed helmet
> law, be physically impossible for some people to comply with?

Maybe. I've got a large head and my helmet (a Giro something or other) only just fits me. "Fits" in
the loosest possible sense of the word though. The circumference is large enough, but it does sit
rather high leaving a largish gap between the helmet and the ears. This is not the way to get best
protection (for what it's worth) out of a helmet!

As for motor cycle helmets, forget it! I can usually get my eyes level with the bottom of the face
hole, or on an enormous helmet, maybe my nostrils.

I'd hate for my son to be prevented from cycling because he couldn't get a helmet to fit him. He's
only 6 weeks old, but already he is showing strong "Dods head" tendencies. Still, at least he should
have the Dods brain to match :)

Graeme

Sam wrote:
> I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
> subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
> themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
> decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
> survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
> helmet yourself?

I came at it from the other side, thinking for a while it was a "no brainer" and I was clearly doing
the Sensible Thing valuing my head. A bit more reading suggested I was wrong about that, now I wear
the lid on short hacks where the comfort reduction is effectively a non-issue as it won't be doing
any harm and might save me a graze and headache (I'm a slaphead so will graze easily upstairs).
Where it will make a comfort difference, or if I can't be bothered to dig it out of the rubble in
the room, I won't wear it. Next major bike job is a 50 Kg load of coal up a big hill later today. I
won't wear the helmet for that as it'll be an awful sweatbox which I will resent wearing.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
> subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
> themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
> decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
> survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
> helmet yourself?

Well I have a helmet. I am anti compulsion. I do not wear it for ordinary day to day road
cycling as:

1. I don't regularly fall off (i.e. about twice in 40 years)

2. I don't believe it offers significant benefits on those occasions when I do.

I do use a helmet off road because:

3. I do regularly fall off

4. I do so in an environment where I am more like ly to strike my head on a tree or similar.

5. I consider the balance of benefits swings to marginally positive.

[email protected] (Sam) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

I wear a helmet for competition where it's required. I also wear one on club runs as it's an
insurance requirement. I don't wear the helmet for normal road riding unless it's really bucketing
down with rain; then I find that with a cover it makes an effective rain rat.

--
Dave...

Tony W wrote:

> I do use a helmet off road because:
>
> 1. I do regularly fall off
>
> 2. I do so in an environment where I am more like ly to strike my head on a tree or similar.

Plus, of course, general comfort is not exactly high on the agenda off road: a sweaty head doesn't
make a major difference if you're caked in cack from tip to toe and have a few minor scrapes from
incoming vegetation. The comfort difference with or without is proportionately much greater in the
generally higher-comfort environment of trundling on roads.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

[email protected] (Sam) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
> subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
> themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
> decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
> survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
> helmet yourself?

Initially, because she who is my reason for living made me.

And then, IT SAVED MY BIKE!!! No, not my life, my bike. I went down in a rough part of town and
smacked my head on the tarmac. I got up after a few seconds and was sufficiently woozy that I had to
lean on a parked car to get my bearings. Given that none of the several onlookers made any effort to
help, I have always assumed that, but for the helmet, I would have ended up bikeless that day.

I can't help noticing that, based on responses to this thread, compulsion (at least of the domestic
variety) does not seem to lead to a decrease in cycling. Maybe the Aussies are just plain different
(well, yes, but . . .)

Peter Storey

Peter Storey wrote:

> I can't help noticing that, based on responses to this thread, compulsion (at least of the
> domestic variety) does not seem to lead to a decrease in cycling. Maybe the Aussies are just plain
> different (well, yes, but . . .)

It wouldn't stop me riding, but I (and I think most of the denizens of
u.r.c's regular posting core) probably don't represent A Typical UK Transport User (i.e., the
General Public, where getting about is concerned).

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Plus, of course, general comfort is not exactly high on the agenda off road: a sweaty head doesn't
> make a major difference if you're caked in cack from tip to toe and have a few minor scrapes from
> incoming vegetation.

A few minor scrapes from incoming vegetation has included being hoiked backwards off my bike when
the end of a branch stuck in a vent on my helmet.

Tony

In article <[email protected]>,
"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hmm. Among hard core cycle enthusiasts it's unlikely to put people off cycling altogether.

But it might drive us abroad. Or in the case of foreigners, discourage them from coming here.

If someone were to offer me a dream job down under, I'd have to turn it down now for a very
stupid reason.

--
Nick Kew

Sam wrote:
> I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
> subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
> themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
> decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
> survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
> helmet yourself?

I use my helmet because it might stop me getting a headache and grazing in the event of a crash. I
don't use it all the time though just when I think the chances of me being in an RTA are high.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

[email protected] (Sam) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a helmet yourself?
[delurking cycle commuter]

Lots of reasons, in no particular order:
- a helmet keeps those annoying whispy bits of hair out of my face and glasses
- a helmet keeps some of the rain/snow out of my eyes
- the visor can be used to shade eyes from cager headlights/sun
- a helmet stops well-meaning folk from nagging me to get one/wear one
- in winter a helmet keeps my head warmer than it would be otherwise
- a helmet makes a nice free-draining basket to keep all those biking accessories in, lights,
gloves, reflective strip etc, when I'm walking to and from the bike itself
- a helmet adds to my "pose factor" when I serenely overtake the pr*t who could not stand to be
behind a _female_ cyclist, sprinted to get past, forced me into the gutter (yuk!) and then slowed
down (grrr).

Sarennah

On 2 Feb 2004 03:07:54 -0800, [email protected] (Peter
Storey) wrote:

snip

>I can't help noticing that, based on responses to this thread, compulsion (at least of the domestic
>variety) does not seem to lead to a decrease in cycling. Maybe the Aussies are just plain different
>(well, yes, but . . .)
>
>Peter Storey

Hmm. Among hard core cycle enthusiasts it's unlikely to put people off cycling altogether.

Although if it became compulsory I reckon I'd cut down on a lot of utility bike trips as there's
simply no where to store the bloody thing at one's destination. It's hard enough finding a bike rack
in town (allegedly 40 very well hidden Sheffield stands vs 2500 off road car park spaces). In the
summer I can just lock the bike and walk off as a civilian; couldn't do that if I had a plastic
potty to lug around. Has anyone ever seen *any* provision for secure storage of cycling ancilliaries
(waterproofs, lights etc)?

I'd carry on cycling for 'sport' but my cycling as transport would drop off a lot.

Here's another Q. How do you clean the things and keep them hygenic? I do a gentle commute every day
and the only bit of me that sweats in summer is my head. Assuming you can't bung it in the washing
machine with your socks, how do you stop it and yourself from reeking?

In answer to the OP; as you can tell I've never worn a helmet so can't answer. I have bought them
for my children but they looked so utterly **** and useless and were so condemned by the intended
wearers that I binned them.

Peter Storey wrote:

> I can't help noticing that, based on responses to this thread, compulsion (at least of the
> domestic variety) does not seem to lead to a decrease in cycling.

Um...maybe you might consider that those who did give up cycling when "encouraged" to wear a helmet
probably do not subscribe to urc.

James

I wear a helmet. I was always under the impression it was a good idea. Having read a few of the threads here and followed a few links, now I'm not so sure. I'm used to it now though and the wife would probably give me grief if I stopped wearing it, so I'll probably continue.