H survey

Sarennah wrote:

> - a helmet adds to my "pose factor" when I serenely overtake the pr*t who could not stand to be
> behind a _female_ cyclist, sprinted to get past, forced me into the gutter (yuk!) and then
> slowed down (grrr).

don't let eejits like this force you anywhere. Maintain your road position, if they try and
physically push you over they're at least as likely to come to grief as you so they won't, when push
comes to shove.

Second point, is someone in front of you makes your life easier if you get close enough to draught
them. So sit just behind and get a free tow. Make a point of thanking them for the free tow to make
them feel silly. If you get bored of being behind, ring a bell to annoy them: if they went by for
delusional reasons of machismo that'll probably annoy them far more than burning straight back past.
Also the case that the *lower* your pose factor, the more fun it is to sail past people. The
Brompton is particularly good for that, because fools think that 16" wheels == slow granny bike and
quite a few people wonder what's going on when I pass them on it (it's not a fast bike, but compared
to MTBs with knobbly tyres run marginally above deflated by someone who understands gearing as well
as the board of Leeds Utd understand financial prudence it's a screamer thanks to 100psi Marathons).

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Sam <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
> subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
> themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
> decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
> survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
> helmet yourself?

I only wear one while racing (not that I ever go fast enough to really call it that) because the
club insurance requires it.

As a rider of a recumbent trike, I feel that in most circumstances which would cause me to part
company with my vehicle such that I hit my head, what I was wearing on said head at the time would
likely be the least of my worries....

--
Carol Hague "I've given that viewpoint a lot of thought sir, and reached the following conclusion:
arseholes to the lot of 'em sir"

[email protected] (Peter Storey) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I can't help noticing that, based on responses to this thread, compulsion (at least of the
> domestic variety) does not seem to lead to a decrease in cycling. Maybe the Aussies are just plain
> different (well, yes, but . . .)

Those who have become ex-cyclists through "domestic compulsion" are less likely to be following URC.
Your conclusion is therefore invalid.

--
Dave...

"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote

> Next major bike job is a 50 Kg load of coal up a big hill later today. I won't wear the helmet for
> that as it'll be an awful sweatbox which I will resent wearing.

Don't you have coalmen who deliver around your way? The coalman who goes around where my parents
live is just about the last of the home deliveries. When I used to live there we had a milkman, a
few general grocers, a chip van, a beer and soft drinks van, a bread van, and butchers and
fishmongers van that I can think of but the coalman is the last of them.

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Although if it became compulsory I reckon I'd cut down on a lot of utility bike trips as there's
> simply no where to store the bloody thing at one's destination.

I'd probably get an old, battered, loose-fitting, useless "compliance" lid which I'd leave locked to
the bike. Even so, I probably would make fewer short utility trips. OTOH I would walk or use the micro-
scooter a bit more.

--
Dave...

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I wear a helmet. I was always under the impression it was a good idea. Having read a few of the
> threads here and followed a few links, now I'm not so sure. I'm used to it now though and the wife
> would probably give me grief if I stopped wearing it, so I'll probably continue.

There's nothing inherently wrong with wearingh a plastic hat as long as you remmeber that it's made
of meringue covered with eggshell and ride accordingly.

The stupid DfT agenda of compulsion when the wearing rate exceeds three cyclists nationally is not a
particularly good reasoin to wear or not to wear, in my view: if (when) legislation is proposed, we
have much better arguments than "harldy anybody wears one."

Ironically the BeHIT bill may have the reverse of their intended effect, in that by the end of the
process most MPs will be much more aware of the contrary evidence.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I wear a helmet. I was always under the impression it was a good idea. Having read a few of the
> threads here and followed a few links, now I'm not so sure. I'm used to it now though and the wife
> would probably give me grief if I stopped wearing it,

That sounds like the first good reason to wear one set out in this thread (or any of a squillion
other helmet threads).

> so I'll probably continue.

Good choice. The earache for not doing so could prove fatal.

davek wrote:
> I wear a helmet. I was always under the impression it was a good idea. Having read a few of the
> threads here and followed a few links, now I'm not so sure. I'm used to it now though and the wife
> would probably give me grief if I stopped wearing it, so I'll probably continue.

Not really a bad idea[1], just maybe not as good as you thought. Nice to have the choice though.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote

> Ironically the BeHIT bill may have the reverse of their intended effect,
in
> that by the end of the process most MPs will be much more aware of the contrary evidence.

Or another possible outcome might be that they look at the evidence that cycle helmets as they are
aren't up to the job of protecting against serious impact and try and force people to wear something
more akin to a full face motorcycle helmet.

Dave Kahn wrote:

> [email protected] (Sam) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> I wear a helmet for competition where it's required. I also wear one on club runs as it's an
> insurance requirement.

I'd find a new club, or get them to find a decent insurer!

Peter Clinch wrote:

> It wouldn't stop me riding, but I (and I think most of the denizens of
> u.r.c's regular posting core) probably don't represent A Typical UK Transport User (i.e., the
> General Public, where getting about is concerned).

As a cyclist of about 30 years' experience, I'd have to seriously think about it. It would certainly
stop me riding in the heat of summer.

AndyP wrote:

> Or another possible outcome might be that they look at the evidence that cycle helmets as they are
> aren't up to the job of protecting against serious impact and try and force people to wear
> something more akin to a full face motorcycle helmet.

That would be good. The number of cyclists would drop to, well, zero and then the law would be
repealed like the poll tax!

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:18:54 +0000, Carol Hague <[email protected]> wrote:

> As a rider of a recumbent trike, I feel that in most circumstances which would cause me to part
> company with my vehicle such that I hit my head, what I was wearing on said head at the time
> would likely be the least of my worries....

Evidently, you should be doing more hand-brake turns.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:18:54 +0000, Carol Hague <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > As a rider of a recumbent trike, I feel that in most circumstances which would cause me to part
> > company with my vehicle such that I hit my head, what I was wearing on said head at the time
> > would likely be the least of my worries....
>
> Evidently, you should be doing more hand-brake turns.

Wouldn't make a lot of difference at the speed (or lack thereof) at which I travel :)

I've only ever lifted a wheel once, and that was going downhill onto a mini-roundabout. I think it
maybe got 6 inches off the floor before it settled back down again.

I *could* flip my trike of course, but I'd have to work pretty hard at it or be doing something
pretty silly. Or be assisted in doing so by another vehicle, in which case my original
statement holds.

--
Carol Hague "Regulation of acupuncture is a thorny issue." - Adrian White on Radio 4

[email protected] (Sam) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'm always heartened by the vigorous defense put up by the anti-compulsion lobby whenever the
> subject comes up, but long ago I noticed that 9 times out of 10 they say they wear helmets
> themselves. Don't get me wrong - I'm not claiming anyone is a hypocrite here. Obviously a personal
> decision has nothing to do with making a stand on principle. This is simply a lead-in to a small
> survey, if anyone is interested in replying: What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a
> helmet yourself?

I wear a helmet for commuting in heavy traffic where I feel in greatest danger. My helmet also has a
high-reflective strip back and front. I can recall seven commuting collisions. On only one of these
did I hit my head/helmet at all and the helmet probably did reduce the severity of the injury. The
other six were all leg & arm injuries.

For general touring/leisure riding I prefer bare-headed or a cap to prevent sunburn (remember
that?). In the olden days I enjoyed feeling the wind through my hair, but that unfortunately is a
distant memory!

Bill

--
Cyclists are always well-balanced.

Thank you for the marvelous response to my query. Lately I've been given the third degree (ok,
a mild first degree) by cyclists who question my topless state. I guess they're just
curious... like me.

Sam wondered:
> What is it that decided you in favour of wearing a helmet yourself?

When I bought my first adult bike (12 years ago), it seemed a "no-brainer" to wear a helmet. My
first helmet was a pudding basin with hopelessly inadequate ventilation. I continued to wear it for
the ride home from university (most of the first mile of which was typically done at 40mph+), but
quickly learned there was no way I could complete the journey up to campus while wearing it.

By the time I graduated I'd stopped wearing it altogether, but a few months after graduation I came
off the bike while cornering on a wet road. I suffered grazing to hip and elbow, didn't come
anywhere close to hitting my head, but I decided a helmet would be a good idea.

Now, I tend to wear one in winter. A hat worn under a helmet stays on better than a hat worn without
a helmet. I consider that I'm far more likely to have the sort of low speed fall that helmets are
good for when riding on wet/icy roads and cyclepaths. And it's a good place to mount lights.

I seldom wear one in the summer. I find even a lightweight, well ventilated helmet to be
uncomfortable on a hot day, causing my head to overheat, causing sweat to drip in my eyes, having an
adverse effect on concentration and generally making me more likely to crash in the first place.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

AndyMorris wrote:
> If I wanted a 'rational' reason to wear the helmet, I would say that
> I ... have a small risk of sliding down the road on my ****.

I'm not sure you've quite got the hang of how you're supposed to wear a helmet ;-)

[Not Responding] wrote:
> Here's another Q. How do you clean the things and keep them hygenic? I do a gentle commute every
> day and the only bit of me that sweats in summer is my head. Assuming you can't bung it in the
> washing machine with your socks, how do you stop it and yourself from reeking?

Every helmet I've ever owned has had pads that fasten to the inside of the helmet with Velcro. My
first 3 helmets ended up very smelly because I never got round to washing them. With my current
helmet, I dab at the pads with a wet flannel when I get home if I haven't been wearing a
waterproof hat. I then remove the pads and sling them in the wash when I do my cycling washload on
Friday evening.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote

> Thank you for the marvelous response to my query. Lately I've been given the third degree (ok, a
> mild first degree) by cyclists who question my topless state. I guess they're just curious...
> like me.

I was getting the same from my girlfriend the other day since one of her friends fell off on some
ice. So I must admit my interest the 'great' helmet debate has temporarily increased slightly as a
result. I made it pretty much 50:50 as to wearers and non wearers here in Bristol before I lost
count this morning on my way to work by the way.