Habanero Biikes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Westall, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    Hi, can anyone point me to some online reviews of Habanero road bikes? Is anyone in the group
    currently riding one- any comments, strong and weak points? TIA, Paul

    Tags:

  2. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Paul Westall"
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >Hi, can anyone point me to some online reviews of Habanero road bikes? Is anyone in the group
    >currently riding one- any comments, strong and weak points? TIA, Paul

    There's this fella named Mark that might have a thing or two to say about it .
    . .

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  3. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    "TBGibb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Paul Westall"
    > <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >Hi, can anyone point me to some online reviews of Habanero road bikes?
    Is
    > >anyone in the group currently riding one- any comments, strong and weak points? TIA, Paul
    >
    > There's this fella named Mark that might have a thing or two to say about
    it .
    > . .
    >
    > Tom Gibb <[email protected]>
    Thanks, I was actually looking for opinions/reviews from people other than the guy selling
    them. I have read many of Mark's posts and he gave me some good info via email. From the google
    search (thanks John, I shoulda thought of that) it seems that nearly efveryone who has a Hab
    likes it a lot. Paul

  4. Eflayer

    Eflayer Guest

    I did a ton of research before buying my reasonably priced TST ti frame. For me it was a toss up
    between Haba and TST. Mark Hickey at Haba was great in answering all of my questions and I have
    every reason to believe that you can get a wonderful, competitive bike based on a variety of well
    priced ti frames. In the end, I bought the TST over a holiday when I was anxious and I think Mark
    was out of his office. Sorry Mark. This is not a vote against Haba, but more a vote for being able
    to get a great bike at a great price if you forego the penis factor of name brand decals. Of my
    three nice road bikes, the TST is my current favorite: light, inexpensive, and responsive in a size
    60. No flex, no bs, just a great dura ace triple riding machine. This was my own experiment to see
    if I could be delighted by a no name bike. I am. If anyone would like to see the outcome go to:

    http://www.hydromedia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=503&password=&sort=7&thecat=514

    Viva la high performance, low price.

    "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, can anyone point me to some online reviews of Habanero road bikes? Is anyone in the group
    > currently riding one- any comments, strong and weak points? TIA, Paul

  5. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    "eflayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I did a ton of research before buying my reasonably priced TST ti frame. For me it was a toss up
    > between Haba and TST. Mark Hickey at Haba was great in answering all of my questions and I have
    > every reason to believe that you can get a wonderful, competitive bike based on a variety of
    > well priced ti frames. In the end, I bought the TST over a holiday when I was anxious and I
    > think Mark was out of his office. Sorry Mark. This is not a vote against Haba, but more a vote
    > for being able to get a great bike at a great price if you forego the penis factor of name brand
    > decals. Of my three nice road bikes, the TST is my current favorite: light, inexpensive, and
    > responsive in a size 60. No flex, no bs, just a great dura ace triple riding machine. This was
    > my own experiment to see if I could be delighted by a no name bike. I am. If anyone would like
    > to see the outcome go to:

    http://www.hydromedia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=503&password=&sort=7&t hecat=514

    > Viva la high performance, low price.

    Excellent choice!

  6. Kevinm31

    Kevinm31 Guest

    Paul Westall wrote:

    >Hi, can anyone point me to some online reviews of Habanero road bikes? Is anyone in the group
    >currently riding one- any comments, strong and weak points? TIA, Paul

    I purchased a custom Habanery time trial bike a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. I
    go through quite a few bikes and dealing with Mark was one of the few pleasurable buying
    experiences I've had.

    The frame is excellent: Straight, nicely finished. Mark's design is very smart (IMHO) and no-BS.
    It's not a Merlin, it's not a Seven--but it does what it does very, very well and is a
    tremendous bargain.

    If you take pride in getting bang for your buck--as opposed to showing off a high-zoot label--you'll
    love owning a Habanero.

    Best, Kevin

  7. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Who sells these? Online?

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "eflayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I did a ton of research before buying my reasonably priced TST ti frame. For me it was a toss up
    > between Haba and TST. Mark Hickey at Haba was great in answering all of my questions and I have
    > every reason to believe that you can get a wonderful, competitive bike based on a variety of
    > well priced ti frames. In the end, I bought the TST over a holiday when I was anxious and I
    > think Mark was out of his office. Sorry Mark. This is not a vote against Haba, but more a vote
    > for being able to get a great bike at a great price if you forego the penis factor of name brand
    > decals. Of my three nice road bikes, the TST is my current favorite: light, inexpensive, and
    > responsive in a size 60. No flex, no bs, just a great dura ace triple riding machine. This was
    > my own experiment to see if I could be delighted by a no name bike. I am. If anyone would like
    > to see the outcome go to:

    http://www.hydromedia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=503&password=&sort=7&t hecat=514

    > Viva la high performance, low price.
    >

    > "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi, can anyone point me to some online reviews of Habanero road bikes?
    Is
    > > anyone in the group currently riding one- any comments, strong and weak points? TIA, Paul

  8. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

  9. Bildom

    Bildom Guest

    I just built up a Habanero team issue frame and, after about a dozen rides, am very happy with it.
    It is very responsive and comfortable and is not overly flexy, even in a 64 cm frame. Mark was very
    helpful and patient throughout the inquiry process. I ordered mine without graphics and found a
    carbon fork with no graphics and the bike looks very cool. - Bill "Paul Westall"

  10. On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:49:55 +0000, Paul Westall wrote:

    > Hi, can anyone point me to some online reviews of Habanero road bikes? Is anyone in the group
    > currently riding one- any comments, strong and weak points?

    No clue about reviews, but I got mine about a year ago, and am very happy with it. I was really
    surprized how much better it felt than my previous frame -- and it was only the frame that was
    changed; all components swapped over. The angles were about the same, though the bottom bracket is
    higher than my old frame, but I really felt better on the bike. I got the Team issue, with the curvy
    stays, since he was out of the standard model, but I don't think that makes any difference.

    OK, some of this is new-toy-joy, but I'll accept that.

    It is a very well-made, impeccably detailed frame, quite light at 3.4 lbs IIRC, and nice and stiff.
    It arrived completely prepped and ready for bottom bracket and headset. Mark is a great guy to deal
    with, too, even if I don't agree with him about the war. He got me back on my feet after my old
    frame broke, quickly and painlessly.

    I do have two minor complaints. The clearances for the rear wheel are very tight. I complained to
    Mark about this and he indicated that the design had been changed to allow a bit more room. Still
    probably not something for 32mm tires and fenders, though, but it should have more clearance for 25s
    or maybe 28s than mine. I can use 25s (that is, what Avocet called
    28s), but no larger.

    My other problems is that one of my decals is coming off. The frame is great, the decals are so-so.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored _`\(,_ | by little
    statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo (_)/ (_) | Emerson

  11. I, too, bought a Habanero road bike from Mark, two years ago. I love the bike, and my interactions
    with Mark were extremely productive and successful.

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    >I do have two minor complaints. The clearances for the rear wheel are very tight.

    I thought that I was the only one! <g> I have a 52cm frame, though, so it's probably to be expected.
    Getting the rear wheel on, with it inflated, is a bit tricky. I still haven't even tried a 25, and,
    yes, this is really a minor complaint for me, so much so that I never even brought it up during my
    after-sales discusssions with Mark.

    >My other problems is that one of my decals is coming off. The frame is great, the decals are so-so.

    That's a problem? I've been trying to figure out a way to remove mine...

    cheers, john

  12. Sam Huffman

    Sam Huffman Guest

    [email protected] (John Red-Horse) writes:

    > That's a problem? I've been trying to figure out a way to remove mine...

    I've been using a hair dryer and a plastic putty knife to remove the letters one at a time. It has
    been taking me maybe 15 minutes per letter and is deathly boring. I asked Mark this same question a
    while ago, and here's what he said:

    : You don't have to be too careful. The best way (for me) is to just break out the strongest solvent
    : I have laying around (acetone usually). They just wipe right off. Even rubbing alcohol will work
    : if you don't mind taking your time.

    Unfortunately since I don't have any strong solvent, I can usually only get one letter off at a time
    before I get too impatient and go for a ride, so for now I'm riding an 'anero'. Once I have a letter
    off, I just use citrus cleaner to get the rest of the adhesive off the tube.

    Sam

  13. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Sam Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (John Red-Horse) writes:
    >
    > > That's a problem? I've been trying to figure out a way to remove
    mine...

    > I've been using a hair dryer and a plastic putty knife to remove the
    letters
    > one at a time. It has been taking me maybe 15 minutes per letter and is deathly boring. I asked
    > Mark this same question a while ago, and here's
    what
    > he said:
    >
    > : You don't have to be too careful. The best way (for me) is to just break out the strongest
    > : solvent I have laying around (acetone usually). They just wipe right off. Even rubbing alcohol
    > : will work if you don't mind taking your time.
    >
    > Unfortunately since I don't have any strong solvent, I can usually only
    get
    > one letter off at a time before I get too impatient and go for a ride, so for now I'm riding an
    > 'anero'. Once I have a letter off, I just use citrus cleaner to get the rest of the adhesive off
    > the tube.
    >
    > Sam

    I got the residue off a pair of Cinelli bars with non-chlorine brake cleaner from an auto parts
    place. Didn't seem to hurt the finish of the AL. I would try some of that. Best of all, a can of
    brake cleaner's pretty inexpensive.

    Mike

  14. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Sam Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] (John Red-Horse) writes:
    > >
    > > > That's a problem? I've been trying to figure out a way to remove
    > mine...
    > >
    > > I've been using a hair dryer and a plastic putty knife to remove the
    > letters
    > > one at a time. It has been taking me maybe 15 minutes per letter and is deathly boring.

    I've had good luck using WD-40 for removing stickers and adhesives.

    Art Harris

  15. Dave Jackson

    Dave Jackson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Harris
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Sam Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:p[email protected]...

    > > mine...
    > > >
    > > > I've been using a hair dryer and a plastic putty knife to remove the
    > > letters
    > > > one at a time. It has been taking me maybe 15 minutes per letter and is deathly boring.
    >
    > I've had good luck using WD-40 for removing stickers and adhesives.
    >
    > Art Harris

    Lighter fluid...just don't light it. We use it in the shop to remove mailing labels out of printers.

    Dave in Minnesota

  16. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Sam Huffman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] (John Red-Horse) writes:
    >
    >> That's a problem? I've been trying to figure out a way to remove mine...
    >
    >I've been using a hair dryer and a plastic putty knife to remove the letters one at a time. It has
    >been taking me maybe 15 minutes per letter and is deathly boring. I asked Mark this same question a
    >while ago, and here's what he said:
    >
    >: You don't have to be too careful. The best way (for me) is to just break out the strongest
    >: solvent I have laying around (acetone usually). They just wipe right off. Even rubbing alcohol
    >: will work if you don't mind taking your time.
    >
    >Unfortunately since I don't have any strong solvent, I can usually only get one letter off at a
    >time before I get too impatient and go for a ride, so for now I'm riding an 'anero'. Once I have a
    >letter off, I just use citrus cleaner to get the rest of the adhesive off the tube.

    I don't usually interrup Habby threads, but this one's a little different.. ;-) The BEST thing I've
    ever used is tubular glue remover. The poor little decals just scrunch up, turn to slime and slide
    right off. If you only have something like alcohol, you can use a little 400g sandpaper to "prep"
    the decals. Just a few applications of the alcohol with a few swipes of the sandpaper between and
    you've get a nice, naked frame.

    PS - don't try this on a painted bike. ;-)

  17. On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:49:55 GMT, "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, can anyone point me to some online reviews of Habanero road bikes? Is anyone in the group
    >currently riding one- any comments, strong and weak points? TIA, Paul

    Sorry for jumping in late here, but anyways.... I've had my Habanero road bike for coming on two
    years, and I couldn't be happier with it. Mark was a pleasure to work with, and the value is
    fantastic. Mine's a 56cm w/Chorus components on it and it weighed around 18# (before I loaded it up
    with aero bars, tools, bottle cages, etc - nothing's goign to be too light once I'm done with it :).
    Its noticeably stiffer in the BB than my previous bike (a 1999 Schwinn SuperSport).

    An added bonus is that, unlike the myriad Merlins & Litespeeds I see on the roads here (SF Bay
    Area), I've only run into one other Habanero, so the "I-have-something-unique" factor works out
    well too ;-)

    Regards, _Adam

    --
    Adam R. Paul Fremont, California, USA [email protected] http://cycling.adampaul.com

  18. On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 02:59:22 +0000, Adam R. Paul wrote:

    > An added bonus is that, unlike the myriad Merlins & Litespeeds I see on the roads here (SF Bay
    > Area), I've only run into one other Habanero, so the "I-have-something-unique" factor works out
    > well too

    We have a pretty fair density of titanium around Philadelphia, too, and I have yet to see another
    Habanero, other than my own. It's a shame, too, since it's a great bike and a bargain.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not _`\(,_ | certain, and as
    far as they are certain, they do not refer to (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein