Habanero vs. F350 pickup truck

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mark Hickey, May 11, 2003.

  1. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Thought y'all might get a kick out of the results of an encounter with a pickup truck (whose driver
    didn't think to check for traffic in the bike lane he was crossing). I didn't see him until it was
    far too late to do anything about it...

    The good news is, more permanent damage to the truck than my bike!

    http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html

    Just in case there was still anyone out there unaware I have a VERY hard head... ;-)

  2. Jkinney2

    Jkinney2 Guest

    DAMN Mark!

    So glad you survived. Those are some impressive pictures! So are ya getting a new helmet soon?? LOL
    Glad to hear you are as ok as is possible considering.

    Jim

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thought y'all might get a kick out of the results of an encounter with a pickup truck (whose
    > driver didn't think to check for traffic in the bike lane he was crossing). I didn't see him until
    > it was far too late to do anything about it...
    >
    > The good news is, more permanent damage to the truck than my bike!
    >
    > http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
    >
    > Just in case there was still anyone out there unaware I have a VERY hard head... ;-)

    Whoa! Get well soon, dude. I mean, I know you're always eager to demonstrate the strength of your
    products, but there are easier testing techniques! :)

    Also, I can't help but feel this accident would have been less traumatic if you had been riding a
    recumbent.

    (ducks, runs)

  4. B Yen

    B Yen Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thought y'all might get a kick out of the results of an encounter with a pickup truck (whose
    > driver didn't think to check for traffic in the bike lane he was crossing). I didn't see him until
    > it was far too late to do anything about it...
    >
    > The good news is, more permanent damage to the truck than my bike!
    >
    > http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
    >
    > Just in case there was still anyone out there unaware I have a VERY hard head... ;-)

    I was at the LBS, & checking out some helmets with side protection. One looked like yours, with a
    removable bottom portion. ($149) Another one was a downhill helmet, it looked practically like an
    auto-racing helmet.

    Some BMX/Downhill helmets

    http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/product/bellistic.html

    http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/product/scuffle.html

    http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/product/trailrider.html

    Wouldn't these helmets give you better chance of survival, with added protection?

    I've got an old Bell (circa '84), & I'm thinking of getting one of the above. It sounds reasonable
    to me, or is it overkill?

    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  5. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    I'm glad that you weren't seriously injured. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery,
    physically and financially.

    Not to start yet another helmet war but the photos of the damage to your helmet are very impressive.
    I've been rethinking my own helmet non-use of late, due in part to a couple of articles in Cycle
    Sport magazine following the death of Andrei Kivilev. Your photos are another, "closer to home"
    argument that for the type of riding I do- on the street, in traffic, at speeds in the 20 - 35 mph
    range- a helmet may not be a bad idea.

    Regards, Bob Hunt

  6. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "B Yen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Thought y'all might get a kick out of the results of an encounter with a pickup truck (whose
    > > driver didn't think to check for traffic in the bike lane he was crossing). I didn't see him
    > > until it was far too late to do anything about it...
    > >
    > > The good news is, more permanent damage to the truck than my bike!
    > >
    > > http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
    > >
    > > Just in case there was still anyone out there unaware I have a VERY hard head... ;-)
    >
    > I was at the LBS, & checking out some helmets with side protection. One looked like yours, with a
    > removable bottom portion. ($149) Another one was a downhill helmet, it looked practically like an
    > auto-racing helmet.
    >
    > Some BMX/Downhill helmets
    >
    > http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/product/bellistic.html
    >
    > http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/product/scuffle.html
    >
    > http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/main/product/trailrider.html
    >
    > Wouldn't these helmets give you better chance of survival, with added protection?
    >
    > I've got an old Bell (circa '84), & I'm thinking of getting one of the above. It sounds reasonable
    > to me, or is it overkill?

    As with most things, there is a tradeoff. More 'protection', or more comfort.

    You could wear a NASCAR helmet, and have very good protection to your head in the unlikely event of
    a crash, but be very, very uncomfortable doing it. Too hot, too heavy, restricted vision. Or, you
    could wear the head the way it was designed, bare, and have less protection, but better vision,
    cooling, with zero weight. Different styles of helmets fall at varying points along that line.

    The thing that makes downhill helmets bearable is that a) it is racing, and
    b) it is for short duration. Commuting in the summer with one of those, you'd take it off after a
    couple of blocks.

    Hardshell BMX helmets the same. Yes, they are probably 'stronger' (greater penetration resistance),
    but probably somewhat more uncomfortable (hotter) for everyday road riding. BMX is generally lower
    speed, shorter duration. But still...they are only certified to the same CPSC standards as all other
    bike helmets sold in the States. Very few bike helmets are actually certified to a higher, Snell,
    standard. And higher price != greater protection. Higher price = style, color, vents, better
    integration of te microshell, bragging rights. If you MUST buy a highend helmet, get last years
    model. 1/2 price, same except for the color.

    Be cognizant of what a bike helmet is actually certified for. Reduce the max G-load to the head to
    below 300g's in a 2 meter fall. Basically, a 14mph impact. And any reputable (there is no
    independant test, the manufacturer certifies his own product) bike helmet sold in the States meets
    the same CPSC standard.

    Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer choice.

    Pete

  7. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Thought y'all might get a kick out of the results of an encounter with a pickup truck (whose driver
    >didn't think to check for traffic in the bike lane he was crossing). I didn't see him until it was
    >far too late to do anything about it...

    Glad you seem to be OK. And nice pictures but I didn't see the bike in any of them.

    A few quick questions:

    Do you need to exercise the Habanero "No questions asked Warranty" and get a new frame for half
    price? <g>

    Did the driver stop?

    jon isaacs

  8. Roy Zipris

    Roy Zipris Guest

    Let me add my wishes for a speedy (well, maybe you should slow down a bit) recovery, Mark. What kind
    of bike are you getting to replace the one damaged in the crash? ;) --Roy Zipris

  9. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html

    I'm glad you're not too seriously injured.

    I'm also interested in how your bike faired :)

    RFM (2 car collisions in 25 years of cycling)
    --
    To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

  10. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "jkinney2" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >DAMN Mark!
    >
    >So glad you survived. Those are some impressive pictures! So are ya getting a new helmet soon?? LOL

    Yeah, I think I'll get the same model. I almost got the larger size (it's got an adjustable head
    lock, so I can wear the M or L). The L wouldn't have done quite as good a job at spreading the
    impact out over a larger area, since the M was pretty snug all the way around.

    >Glad to hear you are as ok as is possible considering.

    Thanks - I'm still a "hurting unit" - very sore neck and upper back. Happily the X-rays came back
    "normal" so I suspect it's just going to take a while to get back to 100% (or whatever it was I
    used to be).

  11. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Mike Latondresse <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in news:qaotbvsk355bvl4amu865vi9[email protected]:
    >
    >OK but get to the important pictures...the bike.

    That wasn't very exciting. Believe it or not the front tire never touched the truck! It was a
    jacked-up 4WD F350, and was straddling the road and angled apartment entrance when I hit him in the
    mirror with my head. The front wheel simply went UNDER the truck.

    The only obvious damage to the bike is the right aerobar, which was bent back a couple inches. That
    makes sense, since the aerobar simply had to stop the weight of the bike, while my helmet (and head
    and neck and upper back) had to stop my weight.

  12. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Whoa! Get well soon, dude. I mean, I know you're always eager to demonstrate the strength of your
    >products, but there are easier testing techniques! :)

    Yeah - I'll have to plan it better next time so the bike takes the whack instead of me!

    >Also, I can't help but feel this accident would have been less traumatic if you had been riding a
    >recumbent.
    >
    >(ducks, runs)

    Heh. I did think about this, and in fact I really believe the accident would have been fatal had I
    been riding a 'bent (or at least the majority of them). As it was, my front wheel entirely missed
    touching the truck by going UNDER the chassis - on a 'bent, I would have ended up under the truck
    instead of bouncing off the door. I suppose that there are some that are tall enough I would have
    hit feet first though.

    The type of accident I was in would also be much more likely on a 'bent since the lower profile
    makes bikes harder to see. In this case, it obviously didn't help to be on a DF bike - neither of us
    saw the other until it was too late - I can only surmise there was a van or other tall vehicle one
    or two cars back from the break in stopped traffic the truck "squirted through".

  13. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

    >I'm glad that you weren't seriously injured. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery,
    >physically and financially.
    >
    >Not to start yet another helmet war but the photos of the damage to your helmet are very
    >impressive. I've been rethinking my own helmet non-use of late, due in part to a couple of articles
    >in Cycle Sport magazine following the death of Andrei Kivilev. Your photos are another, "closer to
    >home" argument that for the type of riding I do- on the street, in traffic, at speeds in the 20 -
    >35 mph range- a helmet may not be a bad idea.

    I was very careful to try to NOT start a helmet war with this thread.

    What I will say is that the way I hit the truck was a freakish thing (basically stopping from 20mph
    (32km/h) by slamming my head into the edge of a dull metal sword - aka mirror mount).

    It's an idealized scenario for those who would argue for the efficacy of helmets, but I have no
    doubt that in this case the outcome would have been different had I hit the same object bare-headed.
    Even MY head isn't THAT hard! ;-)

    And this particular accident also points out that it's not always possible to choose the way you
    crash. It happened so fast that I simply didn't have any real options (the truck was moving
    surprisingly fast).

  14. Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Also, I can't help but feel this accident would have been less traumatic if you had been riding a
    > recumbent.

    definitely. when the paramedics scrape up the goo that's left after an F350 runs over you with as
    many wheels as they've got....you don't feel much.

    stay safe out there kiddies!

    -Luigi

  15. Pete Hickey

    Pete Hickey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >And this particular accident also points out that it's not always possible to choose the way you
    >crash. It happened so fast that I

    Can you say that again?

    I love reading about 'how to fall', 'how to have an accident', etc.

    BTW, I had a very similar accident several months ago, but it was a car not a truck, and I was
    going slower.

    Take care.

    LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
    fried dog and fried cat?

  16. Wow, Mark, from the looks of your helmet, *that* was a really close call.

    Based on your memory loss issues, I'd say that some sort of closed-head injury took place; you may
    well want to speak with a neurologist.

    Heal up quickly...

    best wishes, john

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:51:59 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html

    Glad you're OK - sadly the picture of the truck is 404. That's what I wanted to see - the
    dead truck :-D

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 16:25:35 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >on a 'bent, I would have ended up under the truck instead of bouncing off the door.

    On a 'bent you'd have lifted your feet, kicked the crap out of his door and saved your head a
    pounding ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 12 May 2003 09:31:49 -0700, [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

    >> Also, I can't help but feel this accident would have been less traumatic if you had been riding a
    >> recumbent.

    >definitely. when the paramedics scrape up the goo that's left after an F350 runs over you with as
    >many wheels as they've got....you don't feel much.

    Ooh! It's wedgie riders' recumbent misconception number 7! Only two more to go and I've got the
    entire set :-D

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)