Habanero vs. F350 pickup truck

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

> On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:51:59 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
>
> Glad you're OK - sadly the picture of the truck is 404. That's what I wanted to see - the dead
> truck :-D

Same here, although with some cut and paste trickery I discovered that it was just a picture of
Mark's forehead. Where's the twisted metal?!!!

(Mark: FYI the reference for the second picture points to a file on your local hard drive.)

Dan
--
--------------
Dan Griswold Carrollton, TX

[email protected] (Pete Hickey) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>And this particular accident also points out that it's not always possible to choose the way you
>>crash. It happened so fast that I
>
>Can you say that again?

Say what? My memory's not quite right yet... ;-)

>I love reading about 'how to fall', 'how to have an accident', etc.

I knew for sure I was going to hit the truck, but it took me a while to figure out what made the
deep trough across the top of the helmet. I also have s sore "strip" across my scalp that matches
the dent in my helmet.

>BTW, I had a very similar accident several months ago, but it was a car not a truck, and I was
>going slower.

Must be the name, huh?

[email protected] (John Red-Horse) wrote:

>Wow, Mark, from the looks of your helmet, *that* was a really close call.
>
>Based on your memory loss issues, I'd say that some sort of closed-head injury took place; you may
>well want to speak with a neurologist.
>
>Heal up quickly...
>
>best wishes,

Thanks! I'm feeling a lot better today, and most of the "spotty stuff" is pretty much back to
normal. My neck and shoulders still feel like they're fused first thing in the morning though...

Dan Griswold <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:51:59 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
>>
>> Glad you're OK - sadly the picture of the truck is 404. That's what I wanted to see - the dead
>> truck :-D
>
>Same here, although with some cut and paste trickery I discovered that it was just a picture of
>Mark's forehead. Where's the twisted metal?!!!

Heh. I was trying to get a little fancy. I fixed the link to show a more "regular jpg file".

>(Mark: FYI the reference for the second picture points to a file on your local hard drive.)

Sadly, I didn't get a photo of the truck. I do have fuzzy memories of it being pretty dented up
though... heh heh heh.

Mark,

Glad you made it. I hope you don't learn as I am that the insurance aspects can be almost more
painful than the accident itself.

Isn't it hard to believe that there are poeple who object to the concept of wearing a bike helmet?
They're just people who haven't had their surprise encounter yet. I pray they'll have changed their
minds about helmets before they do.

My big crash was last October. I was at the right edge of a newly 4-laned road outside of a small
town. There was a tailwind and I was on a downhill stretch approaching an intersection. I had a
green light. A van passed me just before the intersection. A teenager in an oncoming car let the van
pass and just assumed it was clear to make a left turn. There was plenty of time to see me if she'd
have looked. I saw her, but like you, I had no options. We had a full-on head on collision.
Fortunately, she was in a small Saturn. I don't know how all I hit. All I know is that, after
impacting the front fender, I glanced off the windshield and went straight up in the air.
Eyewitnesses say I went about 30 feet straight up. I came down on my head. I had a broken hip,
pelvis and ankle. I also had a compression fracture of the spine and a major laceration on my lower
left leg. All I knew at the scene was that my hip was screwed. (Now it's screwed permanently.)

But God created some amazing biological machinery, and thank God he put people on the earth who are
willing to be EMTs, doctors and nurses. Seven months after this horrible accident I completed a
tough mountain century that I've done each year for the last seven years. I did it in a new personal
best time -- 4:59:43.

Shades of Lance Armstrong ... I lost 15 lbs. through the ordeal and that weight loss, combined with
lots of hard work to get back in shape, have made me like a new rider. I have a permanent limp and
I'll probably never take a running step again in my life ... but I can still ride!

Unfortunately, the insurance wars are ongoing.

Anyway, that's my story. I hope yours turns out well.

Bob C. "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thought y'all might get a kick out of the results of an encounter with a pickup truck (whose
> driver didn't think to check for traffic in the bike lane he was crossing). I didn't see him until
> it was far too late to do anything about it...
>
> The good news is, more permanent damage to the truck than my bike!
>
> http://www.habcycles.com/bikecrash.html
>
> Just in case there was still anyone out there unaware I have a VERY hard head... ;-)
>
> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

> [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:
>
> >I'm glad that you weren't seriously injured. Best wishes for a speedy
and
> >complete recovery, physically and financially.
> >
> >Not to start yet another helmet war but the photos of the damage to your
helmet
> >are very impressive. I've been rethinking my own helmet non-use of late,
due in
> >part to a couple of articles in Cycle Sport magazine following the death
of
> >Andrei Kivilev. Your photos are another, "closer to home" argument that
for the
> >type of riding I do- on the street, in traffic, at speeds in the 20 -
35 mph
> >range- a helmet may not be a bad idea.
>
> I was very careful to try to NOT start a helmet war with this thread.
>
> What I will say is that the way I hit the truck was a freakish thing (basically stopping from
> 20mph (32km/h) by slamming my head into the edge of a dull metal sword - aka mirror mount).
>
> It's an idealized scenario for those who would argue for the efficacy of helmets, but I have no
> doubt that in this case the outcome would have been different had I hit the same object
> bare-headed. Even MY head isn't THAT hard! ;-)

Glad to hear you're doing ok.

> And this particular accident also points out that it's not always possible to choose the way
> you crash.

In the future will you continue to ride 20 mph to the right of a line of backed up cars?

> It happened so fast that I simply didn't have any real options (the truck was moving
> surprisingly fast).

news:<[email protected]>...
> On 12 May 2003 09:31:49 -0700, [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:
>
> >> Also, I can't help but feel this accident would have been less traumatic if you had been riding
> >> a recumbent.
>
> >definitely. when the paramedics scrape up the goo that's left after an F350 runs over you with as
> >many wheels as they've got....you don't feel much.
>
> Ooh! It's wedgie riders' recumbent misconception number 7! Only two more to go and I've got the
> entire set :-D

Should have posted the smiley...

The google (peace be upon it) will reveal that I have noted several times that recumbent
eyepoint might not be significantly higher or lower than that of your average passenger car--a
fact that occurred to me one day when I was driving in a car, stopped at a traffic light next to
an immense SUV...

-Luigi

"one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> In the future will you continue to ride 20 mph to the right of a line of backed up cars?

He wasn't riding 'to the right' per se, he was riding in a dedicated bike lane.

When driving a car, do drivers to the right stop when the left turn lane gets backed up?

"Brian Huntley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > In the future will you continue to ride 20 mph to the right of a line of backed up cars?
> >

> He wasn't riding 'to the right' per se, he was riding in a dedicated bike lane.
>
> When driving a car, do drivers to the right stop when the left turn lane gets backed up?

This is how I got hit, too. The bike lanes are great, except at intersections. In my case, there
was a small road before a major intersection. I had never seen anyone take the small road, then a
person took it while I was doing about 20 mph. It was my fault (although technically they did cross
the lane).

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>>RFM (2 car collisions in 25 years of cycling)
>
> Well, I guess I'm doing 50% better than you! ;-)

The first one was a "left cross" type of collision similar to yours, except there wasn't a line of
traffic obstructing the motorist's view. The other major difference was this was in Japan, so it was
actually a "right cross" :). The bike went under the car (Datsun Fairlady Z), and I went over the
hood and planted my face into the windshield. This was before the days of clipless and I had clips
and straps.

The second one the motorist blew right through a stop sign (didn't even slow down). I took evasive
action and avoided death but got thumped by the bumper and got knocked into the sidewalk. Motorist
kept driving but stopped about three blocks down at a school -- she didn't even realize she hit me
until I caught up to her and yelled at her.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

"one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote

>Glad to hear you're doing ok.
>
>> And this particular accident also points out that it's not always possible to choose the way
>> you crash.
>
>In the future will you continue to ride 20 mph to the right of a line of backed up cars?

Probably. I'm constantly riding in traffic, and if I slowed down for ever potential risk I'd never
get anywhere. Normally I have a good line of sight to any vehicles that may be turning into my path,
but in this case didn't have a clue until it was FAR too late. I suspect there was a bigger vehicle
blocking the view (though I don't remember).

And it IS the first time I've had contact with a car in nearly 20 years of road riding.

Bob wrote:

> "Brian Huntley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > In the future will you continue to ride 20 mph to the right of a line of backed up cars?
> >
> > He wasn't riding 'to the right' per se, he was riding in a dedicated bike lane.
> >
> > When driving a car, do drivers to the right stop when the left turn lane gets backed up?
>
> This is how I got hit, too. The bike lanes are great, except at intersections. In my case, there
> was a small road before a major intersection. I had never seen anyone take the small road, then a
> person took it while I was doing about 20 mph. It was my fault (although technically they did
> cross the lane).

Why was it your fault? Was there a stop/yeild sign at the "small road" intersection?

Seems cars crossing your path for a turn are obligated to yeild to you, just as if you
were in a car.

SMH

"Stephen Harding" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Bob wrote:
>
> > "Brian Huntley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > > "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in
message

> > > He wasn't riding 'to the right' per se, he was riding in a dedicated bike lane.
> > >
> > > When driving a car, do drivers to the right stop when the left turn lane gets backed up?
> >
> > This is how I got hit, too. The bike lanes are great, except at intersections. In my case,
> > there was a small road before a major intersection. I had never seen anyone take the small
> > road, then a
person
> > took it while I was doing about 20 mph. It was my fault (although technically they did cross the
> > lane).
>
> Why was it your fault? Was there a stop/yeild sign at the "small road" intersection?
>
> Seems cars crossing your path for a turn are obligated to yeild to you, just as if you were
> in a car.
>

> SMH

Yeah, but the bike lane is just a small lane on the regular road. In this case, cars were stopped
(as always) due to the light at the major intersection. I came up upon her; she didn't pass me
(well, she passed me somewhere down the road). She turned right into the small road, and I hit the
rear of her car. She never saw me. Would she have seen me in her passenger side mirror? Perhaps.
Nonetheless, I was probably going way too fast for conditions. I went that fast because I'd never
seen anyone take that road.

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

Fritz M <[email protected]+> wrote:

>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>RFM (2 car collisions in 25 years of cycling)
>>
>> Well, I guess I'm doing 50% better than you! ;-)
>
>The first one was a "left cross" type of collision similar to yours, except there wasn't a line of
>traffic obstructing the motorist's view. The other major difference was this was in Japan, so it
>was actually a "right cross" :). The bike went under the car (Datsun Fairlady Z), and I went over
>the hood and planted my face into the windshield. This was before the days of clipless and I had
>clips and straps.

I've ridden in China and Korea, so I can imagine (to a point) what riding in Japan is like (probably
more structured than either of the above). I've also ridden in Australia, so I know what riding on
the "wrong side" is like. Odd, isn't it?

The drivers here in Arizona are normally the most respectful, conscientious I've seen anywhere. The
guy that took me out didn't have a clue I was there - just a brain fade on his part.

>The second one the motorist blew right through a stop sign (didn't even slow down). I took evasive
>action and avoided death but got thumped by the bumper and got knocked into the sidewalk. Motorist
>kept driving but stopped about three blocks down at a school -- she didn't even realize she hit me
>until I caught up to her and yelled at her.

Heh heh heh... I'm sure this happens all the time here - usually with a cellphone stuck to the ear
of the "driver" (and I use the term as loosely as possible).

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Brian Huntley" <[email protected]> wrote
>> "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote

>> He wasn't riding 'to the right' per se, he was riding in a dedicated bike lane.
>>
>> When driving a car, do drivers to the right stop when the left turn lane gets backed up?

>This is how I got hit, too. The bike lanes are great, except at intersections. In my case, there
>was a small road before a major intersection. I had never seen anyone take the small road, then a
>person took it while I was doing about 20 mph. It was my fault (although technically they did cross
>the lane).

Doesn't sound like your fault - but it's also not how I got hit. In my case, the truck was
northbound before the turn, and I was southbound. He turned across a clearly marked traffic lane
(for bikes) without checking. He also accelerated pretty quickly in the process (leaving me with no
options but to try to tackle his large truck).

Normally I'm VERY aware of anyone getting ready to turn, but didn't see this truck - I can
only assume there was a van or other large vehicle in the line of cars I was passing that
blocked my view.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>I knew for sure I was going to hit the truck, but it took me a while to figure out what made the
>deep trough across the top of the helmet. I also have s sore "strip" across my scalp that matches
>the dent in my helmet.

Interesting how one can be involved in an accident and not remember what happened.. forensics ...
Hey, I must have gone like this and hit that... wow...

>>BTW, I had a very similar accident several months ago, but it was a car not a truck, and I was
>>going slower.
>
>Must be the name, huh?

Oh oh... I got a lot of brothers & sisters.... better warn them.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

>Normally I'm VERY aware of anyone getting ready to turn, but didn't see this truck - I can
>only assume there was a van or other large vehicle in the line of cars I was passing that
>blocked my view.

You were passing stopped cars in a bike lane at speed? On their right?

And this guy left hooked you across stopped traffic?

Just so's I understand this.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote

> Probably. I'm constantly riding in traffic, and if I slowed down for ever potential risk I'd never
> get anywhere.
[...]
> And it IS the first time I've had contact with a car in nearly 20 years of road riding.

But still... you have to admit that this was probably an avoidable accident. It wasn't your fault,
but a lot of the skill of street

up nonetheless. Riding to the right of stopped traffic at 20mph is, well, you know damn well
what it is.

Sounds like blaming the victim. I know.

I had a similar accident a few years ago:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=7cov7m%24u3s%241%40nnrp1.de-
janews.com

It was not my fault, but it was an avoidable accident. The only consolation to

and I was more-or-less ok. Just had that "worked over with a baseball bat" feeling for a week or so.

Glad to hear you're ok. You're not suddenly a liberal after that tap on your head are you?

CC

>But still... you have to admit that this was probably an avoidable accident. It wasn't your fault,
>but a lot of the skill of street

>up nonetheless. Riding to the right of stopped traffic at 20mph is, well, you know damn well
>what it is.

Not necessary to curse to get the point across. Remember that not everyone rides in a dense urban
environment where riding tactics are a way of life. It's basically a no brainer to criticize a bad
play, Corvus, but how many mistakes did it take for you to get sharp?

I know I've made my share.

I hope Mark is OK, and he isn't going to do it again. The next time he is going to be in the proper
lane at the right moment, and the F350 won't stand a chance.

They aren't any smarter than we are, Corvus, they just weigh more and can't see or maneuver as well.

the Texas Elvis"------------------